Read any good books lately?

Discuss literature (e.g. books, newspapers), educational studies (getting help or opinions on homework or an essay), and philosophy.

Re: Read any good books lately?

Unread postby Sun Fin » Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:03 am

SunXia wrote:Hobb is good from what I've read so far, but trying not to spend too much money so she will have to wait in meantime!!

Yeah I know! I purchased the first trilogy and am devouring them (Read first two books in a week) and am savouring the third book. I've asked for the second trilogy for Christmas and now won't let myself purchase anymore until then!
“I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.” ― Nelson Mandela
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby KelloggLitigator » Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:05 am

count of monte cristo by a. dumas.
love it.
KelloggLitigator
Tyro

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:38 pm

Thanks to John Carter film, read A Princess of Mars. I like John Carter, he makes a good and descriptive narrator with a sense of personality, some good adventures and how a man reacts to being on a strange planet. Got a little sneered with the sneering over the Thark's and went downhill once the romance really gets going. All sorts of clumsy romance dialogue. Liked the ending though
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Sun Fin » Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:21 am

I've just finished Child of Vengeance by David Kirk. It's the novel in a series based in Samurai Japan. It's about Musashi although the author freely admits he has taken great liberties with his life. Outside of Shogun/Taipan it's the best novel I've read that's been based upon Asian history. I would recommend it!
“I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.” ― Nelson Mandela
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Mitsunari » Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:57 am

Sun Fin wrote:I've just finished Child of Vengeance by David Kirk. It's the novel in a series based in Samurai Japan. It's about Musashi although the author freely admits he has taken great liberties with his life. Outside of Shogun/Taipan it's the best novel I've read that's been based upon Asian history. I would recommend it!

Well, me ol' car freshener, this unenlightened buffoon is currently absorbing what I imagine is your favourite book of all. :wink:

King James version, naturally.
''Even through the darkest of days, this fire burns, always...''
Mitsunari
Akaoni of the Red Fire Unit

Location: Facing the hoardes of Darkness, with a sword in my hand and a fire in my heart...

Unread postby Sun Fin » Sat Apr 09, 2016 11:42 am

Interesting buddy, what's bought that on?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Mitsunari » Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:36 pm

Sun Fin wrote:Interesting buddy, what's bought that on?

Haha, bit of a guarded response there, pal...events of the past two years or so have more or less pointed me towards Christianity, it's been a gradual process. The more I read, the more I research and the more I absorb, the greater sense of solace I find in myself.

And there was you thinking I was going to Heeeeeell, haha. :P
''Even through the darkest of days, this fire burns, always...''
Mitsunari
Akaoni of the Red Fire Unit

Location: Facing the hoardes of Darkness, with a sword in my hand and a fire in my heart...

Unread postby Sun Fin » Sun Apr 10, 2016 4:35 pm

Mitsunari wrote:
Sun Fin wrote:Interesting buddy, what's bought that on?

Haha, bit of a guarded response there, pal...events of the past two years or so have more or less pointed me towards Christianity, it's been a gradual process. The more I read, the more I research and the more I absorb, the greater sense of solace I find in myself.

And there was you thinking I was going to Heeeeeell, haha. :P

:lol:

You have no idea how exciting I find that! :D

We can continue this chat in PMs though!
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Kayzr » Wed Jun 22, 2016 5:31 pm

Sharpe's Tiger

"Sharpe's Tiger is the first historical novel in the Richard Sharpe series by Bernard Cornwell and was first published in 1997. Sharpe is a private in the British army serving in India at Seringapatam..."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sharpe%27s_Tiger
Let us begin with Zeus, whom we mortals never leave unspoken.
For every street, every market-place is full of Zeus.
Even the sea and the harbour are full of this deity.
Everywhere everyone is indebted to Zeus.
For we are indeed his offspring.
Kayzr
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Sun Fin » Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:11 am

I love the Sharpe series! Both TV and books are among my favourite things!
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to Literature, Academics, and Philosophy