Read any good books lately?

Discuss literature (e.g. books, newspapers), educational studies (getting help or opinions on homework or an essay), and philosophy.

=)

Unread postby Jen » Sat Nov 23, 2002 2:28 pm

Books! I love books!

If I had to pick a genre, I'd say I'm a fantasy fan... thanks to JRR Tolkien. I'm currently reading 'The Icewind Dale Triology' by RA Salvatore.. its about Drizzt Do'Urden. Love it!

I read other stuff too..I've read 1984, and Stephen Kings 'Tommyknockers' is one of my favorites...
Jen

Unread postby Jeffro » Sun Nov 24, 2002 4:49 am

Books are wonderful. Build your vocabulary as well as your logic!(as long as you arent reading dianetics haha) I have been reading many epics, and they are wonderful!
Jeffro
Initiate

Re: =)

Unread postby Chu Liu Xiang » Mon Dec 02, 2002 1:14 am

Jen wrote:Books! I love books!

If I had to pick a genre, I'd say I'm a fantasy fan... thanks to JRR Tolkien. I'm currently reading 'The Icewind Dale Triology' by RA Salvatore.. its about Drizzt Do'Urden. Love it!

I read other stuff too..I've read 1984, and Stephen Kings 'Tommyknockers' is one of my favorites...

Hey, a Forgotten Realm fan. Read the sequels and prequels to that trilogy yet? Drizzt is a great character and to think Salvatore originally intended him to be a sidekick to Wulgar.

For me, currently I'm reading Madame Bovary. Basic theme of the book, women=evil, a theme I find in many books, just take Great Gatsby for example.
"It takes a big man to cry. It takes an even bigger man to laugh at that man."
I am that bigger man. :lol:
Chu Liu Xiang
Student

Unread postby DianWei » Mon Dec 02, 2002 3:26 am

im reading dune: house harkonnen right now, and i have to say, though i usually do not like science fiction, the series is incredibly absorbing...
Im in ur vanguard, vanquishin ur d00ds.
DianWei
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Tianshan Zi » Tue Dec 10, 2002 8:04 pm

Before I started re-reading SGYY this week, I finished Noe's Perryville: This Grand Havoc of Battle, an excellent narrative (accompanied by detailed maps and the orders of battle) of the bloody American Civil War battle.
Tianshan Zi
Headless Thompson Gunner

Unread postby Zhang Liao17 » Thu Dec 12, 2002 12:12 am

I just re-read one of my favorites, Sabriel, by Garth Nix. Its a good fantasy story and if you haven't read it, you should give it a try.
"Death is but death, and why are you scared at it?"-Zhang Liao
Zhang Liao17
Supreme Commander of Wei Forces

Unread postby Iznoach, Legendary Dragon » Thu Dec 12, 2002 5:51 am

I recently got done reading "The Drawing of the Three" (for like the 15th time :oops: ), and am now about 2/3rd's of the way through "The Wastelands", both by Stephen King. It's just such an awesome story, I seem to be there with Roland and his Gunslingers when I read these...
"Armed and dangerous, ain't too many can hang wit us
straight up weed no angel dust, label us Notorious..."--Biggie
Iznoach, Legendary Dragon
Gunslinger

Unread postby Kül Tigin » Fri Dec 13, 2002 9:13 pm

Rene Grousset, The Steppes Empire; preety good book with lots of info for Central Asia lovers like me 8-)

I'm also reading Cengiz Aytmatov's Gün Olur Asra Bedel ("One Day May Match A Century" :P Duh, bad translation). It's about the life of a Khazak guy. He works in a train station in a remote part of the Khazak steppes and after one of his elder friends dies, and while taking his body to bury it to the sacred Naiman cemetary, he keeps thinking about the days that have passed in his life and such strange stuff. I didn't finish it yet; but there are some parts about a US-Soviet Space Programme, in which two astronomers connect with a human-like non-Solar life form in deep space. A ship of those aliens arrive and take the astronomers to their planet, etc etc and such stuff. Preety weird :P This book actually talks about the harch Soviet treatments on the Khazaks and gives us a lesson while saying that the ultra-civilized aliens have already given up fighting with each other.
Admin of SHF
Kül Tigin
Khaghan of the Türüks

Unread postby Tianshan Zi » Tue Dec 17, 2002 3:35 am

Bilge Kaghan wrote:Rene Grousset, The Steppes Empire; preety good book with lots of info for Central Asia lovers like me 8-)

I'm also reading Cengiz Aytmatov's Gün Olur Asra Bedel ("One Day May Match A Century" :P Duh, bad translation). It's about the life of a Khazak guy. He works in a train station in a remote part of the Khazak steppes and after one of his elder friends dies, and while taking his body to bury it to the sacred Naiman cemetary, he keeps thinking about the days that have passed in his life and such strange stuff. I didn't finish it yet; but there are some parts about a US-Soviet Space Programme, in which two astronomers connect with a human-like non-Solar life form in deep space. A ship of those aliens arrive and take the astronomers to their planet, etc etc and such stuff. Preety weird :P This book actually talks about the harch Soviet treatments on the Khazaks and gives us a lesson while saying that the ultra-civilized aliens have already given up fighting with each other.

What an unusual-sounding book! :shock: Is it available in English?
Tianshan Zi
Headless Thompson Gunner

Unread postby Kül Tigin » Wed Dec 18, 2002 2:00 pm

It must have been translated into English, because Aytmatov is a very famous Kyrghiz author, well-khown throughout the World.

I finished the book today. It has also got a second part named "The Cloud Which Got Offended By Genghis Khan", published as a separate book. It's about Genghis' European campaigns (actually, his two generals, Subotai and Jebe, went to campaign in Europe); but also tells us about the dirty works of KGB and now a character from the first book died in custody (he was an ex-war hero from WWII, also fought besides the Yugoslavian Partisans; he was arrested after he began writing his memories down).
Admin of SHF
Kül Tigin
Khaghan of the Türüks

PreviousNext

Return to Literature, Academics, and Philosophy