Read any good books lately?

Discuss literature (e.g. books, newspapers), educational studies (getting help or opinions on homework or an essay), and philosophy.

Re: Read any good books lately?

Unread postby capnnerefir » Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:00 am

Oh thank god more Stormlight fans. I can't wait for November to get here.

Also, that reminds me: Sanderson's new Mistborn novels (starting with Alloy of Law) are more early-modern fantasy. Less military-oriented (more like Victorian era detective novels) but with the same sort of tone. Probably not surprising given that McClellan was one of Sanderson's students. Bands of Mourning was some of Sanderson's best worldbuilding with regards to the magic system he created. As I was reading it, I couldn't help thinking "now you're just showing off". After carefully establishing all the magical laws of his world, he exploits every loophole and twists them around in ways that don't even seem possible, but make perfect sense within the firm rules he established.
capnnerefir
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Sun Fin » Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:12 pm

I keep meaning to read the later ones. The Final Empire is the only book so good that I put it away, promising myself I would wait a long time to re-read it so that I could re-experience it fresh. I'm reluctant to read the new ones until I decide to return to the first one!
“I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.” ― Nelson Mandela
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Sun Fin » Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:33 pm

I'm thinking about reading The Three Musketeers (and then perhaps some of Alexandre Dumas other work) but I'm not sure which translation or edition. Has anyone read it and feel confident enough to recommend which one they did?
“I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.” ― Nelson Mandela
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby WeiWenDi » Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:09 am

I've recently been reading the Shanghai Book Traders prose-novel translations of Love Stories and Tragedies from Chinese Classic Operas. The seven of them I've finished so far (in the order I've read them) are:

The Romance of the Western Bower
    Zhao the Orphan
    Snow in Summer
    The Palace of Eternal Youth
    The Peony Pavilion
    The Peach Blossom Fan
    The Phoenix Seeks a Mate

And I'm currently on:

The Peacock Flies Southeast

I'm saving The Legend of White Snake and Liang Shanbo and Zhu Yingtai for last, because I'm familiar with both of those stories from other sources; it will be interesting to see what gets done with them in these translations, though.

I'm actually kind of humbled by how much of actual Chinese history I'm learning that I simply didn't know before, just from reading the stories of these Chinese operas, even in prose translation. My wife is remarking that I seem to know more about Chinese culture now than at any time before, which is a little embarrassing. :oops: I'm also becoming more familiar with historical figures like Sima Xiangru and Hou Fangyu who were the subjects of these particular operatic works and tragedies.

Intriguingly enough, it's also colouring the research paper I'm doing on mid-Qing New Text Confucianism (particularly The Peach Blossom Fan), by providing some context to the utter upheaval and wreckage that accompanied the Ming-Qing transition. Again, aspects that I had no clue of before.

I may end up being more active here on account of them! Looking forward to discussing them, actually.
Some more blood, Chekov. The needle won't hurt, Chekov. Take off your shirt, Chekov. Roll over, Chekov. Breathe deeply, Chekov. Blood sample, Chekov! Marrow sample, Chekov! Skin sample, Chekov! If I live long enough... I'm going to run out of samples.
WeiWenDi
Hedgehog Emperor

Unread postby Kong Wen » Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:02 pm

I finished the entire Dark Tower series this weekend. Now I'm sad. I miss it already. I watched the embarrassment of a film yesterday and hoo boy it was bad. There's talk of a TV series unrelated to the film, and I can maybe still hold out hope that they manage to make that one somewhat good... This series is so long and involved that a film or even a trilogy of films can't do it justice. It needs a 5- or 6-season HBO series.
"We spread the time as we can, but in the end the world takes it all back."
— Roland Deschain, Wolves of the Calla
Kong Wen
The Bronze Age of SoSZ
The Bronze Age of SoSZ

Unread postby Sun Fin » Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:04 pm

Kong Wen wrote:I finished the entire Dark Tower series this weekend. Now I'm sad. I miss it already. I watched the embarrassment of a film yesterday and hoo boy it was bad. There's talk of a TV series unrelated to the film, and I can maybe still hold out hope that they manage to make that one somewhat good... This series is so long and involved that a film or even a trilogy of films can't do it justice. It needs a 5- or 6-season HBO series.

I feel you buddy. I finished it several months ago and I'm still feeling a void in my life. I filled it for a while by using phrases like 'There'll be rain if God wills it' but ka keeps turning and all things get forgotten eventually.

Have you read The Wind Through the Keyhole as well? It's a novella set between book 4 and 5 which you might enjoy if you haven't already?

I've not bothered with the movie, I wasn't optimistic when Idris Elba was announced as Roland. He's a great actor but the character's ethnicity is such an important part of his relationship with Susannah's personalities that just didn't seem like they were respecting the source material. When I started hearing the reviews i just decided it wasn't worth my time. I'm quite excited by the TV series though - I just hope they do it properly!
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Previous

Return to Literature, Academics, and Philosophy