Read any good books lately?

Discuss literature (e.g. books, newspapers), educational studies (getting help or opinions on homework or an essay), and philosophy.

Re: Read any good books lately?

Unread postby Sun Fin » Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:10 pm

Talking of CS Lewis, my wife and I are intending to read through Screwtape Letters together!
“I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.” ― Nelson Mandela
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Kong Wen » Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:06 pm

Sun Fin wrote:I've just finished The Dark Tower by Stephen King for the second time! I enjoyed it so much more coming at it from a more mature approach. Well worth reading in my opinion!

Funny that you should mention this now, as I've been reading through the series for the first time this summer. I'm right at the end of Wolves of the Calla and should be able to finish it tonight or tomorrow. It's not what I expected, and it's much better than I thought it would be. We should chat about it in more detail when I've finished the whole series.

I've actually been alternating between The Dark Tower and Harry Potter (also for the first time), so after I finish Wolves I'll be moving on to The Deathly Hallows.
"We spread the time as we can, but in the end the world takes it all back."
— Roland Deschain, Wolves of the Calla
Kong Wen
The Bronze Age of SoSZ
The Bronze Age of SoSZ

Unread postby Sun Fin » Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:18 pm

I don't say this to put you off but I preferred the first five over the last two. I think that's partly because the last two get darker!

At the end of book 7 King writes a little bit where he says that this is the end of the book as far as his concerned, however if you want to keep reading there is one final chapter. I read it. I regret reading it. My advice is don't read it. HOWEVER if you intend to watch the films you probably do need to read it to understand whats happening.
“I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.” ― Nelson Mandela
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Nike12 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:23 am

I was really impressed by Shantaram, nearly 1000 pages, but catching your attention from the beginning to the end of story. Will definitely read it again in few years. Do recommend to read :)
Nike12
Tyro

Unread postby Sun Fin » Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:47 am

Just finished Sins of Empire by Brian McClellan. I'd read his original Powder Mage Trilogy as well as all his short stories in the universe. I think I'd go so far as to say this might be my favourite one yet. I love the premise of his universe, its fantasy but based in the Napoleonic-technology era (ie muskets and rifles, printing presses etc). He goes very epic, very quickly in terms of his plot but it's gripping and it's pretty much unique in terms of era. Would definitely recommend it to others!
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby capnnerefir » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:53 pm

If you like McClellan, you should try Django Wexler's Shadow Campaigns series. Very similar to Powder Mage in tone and environment. The same Napoleonic warfare with magical elements. I think Wexler generally has a better grip on the military aspect, with the magical elements being less prominent than in McClellan's work.
capnnerefir
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Sun Fin » Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:56 am

Thanks Capn! Django Wexler's books often appear on my amazon suggestions page! Ii'll look in to them!
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Lost » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:01 pm

Since I don't think I've posted here yet, I'll say that The Stormlight Archive books by Brandon Sanderson are my favorite ongoing fantasy series.

I'm also on book 3 of Joe Abercrombe's The First Law series. A lot darker than The Stormlight Archive but very enjoyable and with a great dark sense of humor.
Lost
Apprentice

Unread postby Sun Fin » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:21 pm

Lost wrote:Since I don't think I've posted here yet, I'll say that The Stormlight Archive books by Brandon Sanderson are my favorite ongoing fantasy series.

I'm also on book 3 of Joe Abercrombe's The First Law series. A lot darker than The Stormlight Archive but very enjoyable and with a great dark sense of humor.

I'm also waiting in anticipation for Book 3 of the Stormlight Archives, it's out in November. His The Final Empire from the Mistborn trilogy is my favourite ever book. I also love Joe Abercrombie, I've read the trilogy, the three stand alone books and the compilation of short stories. I must say you have fine taste in books Lost. :lol:
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Lost » Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:42 pm

Thanks Sun! It's nice to meet someone else that likes the Stormlight Archive books, I recently convinced my girlfriend to try them and she loves them :)

Also I think I played it fairly safe. Although I haven't met anyone else that has read the books, both series are very highly praised online.
Lost
Apprentice

PreviousNext

Return to Literature, Academics, and Philosophy