Read any good books lately?

Discuss literature (e.g. books, newspapers), educational studies (getting help or opinions on homework or an essay), and philosophy.

Re: Read any good books lately?

Unread postby capnnerefir » Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:00 am

Oh thank god more Stormlight fans. I can't wait for November to get here.

Also, that reminds me: Sanderson's new Mistborn novels (starting with Alloy of Law) are more early-modern fantasy. Less military-oriented (more like Victorian era detective novels) but with the same sort of tone. Probably not surprising given that McClellan was one of Sanderson's students. Bands of Mourning was some of Sanderson's best worldbuilding with regards to the magic system he created. As I was reading it, I couldn't help thinking "now you're just showing off". After carefully establishing all the magical laws of his world, he exploits every loophole and twists them around in ways that don't even seem possible, but make perfect sense within the firm rules he established.
capnnerefir
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Sun Fin » Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:12 pm

I keep meaning to read the later ones. The Final Empire is the only book so good that I put it away, promising myself I would wait a long time to re-read it so that I could re-experience it fresh. I'm reluctant to read the new ones until I decide to return to the first one!
“I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.” ― Nelson Mandela
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Sun Fin » Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:33 pm

I'm thinking about reading The Three Musketeers (and then perhaps some of Alexandre Dumas other work) but I'm not sure which translation or edition. Has anyone read it and feel confident enough to recommend which one they did?
“I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.” ― Nelson Mandela
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Previous

Return to Literature, Academics, and Philosophy