Read any good books lately?

Discuss literature (e.g. books, newspapers), educational studies (getting help or opinions on homework or an essay), and philosophy.

Read any good books lately?

Unread postby LeilaniCheung » Sat Oct 26, 2002 3:32 pm

:wink: Hi Everyone!How are you?I'm new and unfamilar here.All the same I was just wondering if and what YOU may be reading.
I've just picked up another book of Adeline Yen Mah's book titled,
"A Thousand Pieces of Gold",A Memoir of China"s Past Through Its Proverbs".What are you reading,and what would you suggest :?:
Later, Leilani
LeilaniCheung

Unread postby Iznoach, Legendary Dragon » Sun Oct 27, 2002 10:23 am

Well, I see you're actually registered now, so nicetameetcha! :D

Anyway, I just got done reading "Desperation" by Stephen King, before that, I read "Black House" by King and Straub, and I'm getting ready to read "The Wizard and Glass" by King (already read these multiple times)...I guess you could say I'm a Stephen King fan :?
"Armed and dangerous, ain't too many can hang wit us
straight up weed no angel dust, label us Notorious..."--Biggie
Iznoach, Legendary Dragon
Gunslinger

Unread postby Shi Jing Xu » Sun Oct 27, 2002 8:42 pm

J.R.R. Tolkien: A Biography. I read it for English. Excellent book! It's by Humphery Carpenter.
"As if you could kill time without injuring eternity." ~ Henry David Thoreau
Shi Jing Xu
Hermione G

Unread postby James » Mon Oct 28, 2002 4:08 am

Crime and Punishment. Great story, can't find a good translation to save my life. Avoid the Modern Library translation like the plague.

I am now reading R.A. Salvatore’s “The Thousand Orcs”.
A wonderful fantasy book in the Drizzt Do’Urden series.
So far the book is marvelous.
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Zhou Gongjin » Mon Oct 28, 2002 7:35 am

I'm reading Doctor Rafe De Crespigny's Generals of the South.
He who exercises government by means of his virtue may be compared to the north polar star, which keeps its place and all the stars turn towards it.
-孔夫子
Zhou Gongjin
鋼のチビ

Unread postby Jimayo » Mon Oct 28, 2002 8:27 am

Iznoach wrote:Well, I see you're actually registered now, so nicetameetcha! :D

Anyway, I just got done reading "Desperation" by Stephen King, before that, I read "Black House" by King and Straub, and I'm getting ready to read "The Wizard and Glass" by King (already read these multiple times)...I guess you could say I'm a Stephen King fan :?

You ever read the running man?
98% of the internet population has a Myspace. If you're part of the 2% that isn't an emo bastard, copy and paste this into your sig.
Jimayo
Lord of the Thirteen Hells

Location: Nothingness. And that's where I'll be returning in oh, about 15 minutes.

Unread postby Maria » Mon Oct 28, 2002 8:37 am

Zhou Gongjin wrote:I'm reading Doctor Rafe De Crespigny's Generals of the South.

I found that book in the Reference section of the NL. I can't take it out... :x

I've just finished reading the Art of War (Sun Tzu's) and I can kinda see why all these business people recommend this book ;)

I'm reading this "Shanghai Baby" by Wi Hui. This is an adult novel... but who cares. I find this book very interesting. If you care about a woman's journey to find her identity, take this book.

And have anyone read "Memoirs of a Geisha"? I'm searchingg for that book now... Who's the author?
Maria
Iron Duchess

Unread postby Iznoach, Legendary Dragon » Mon Oct 28, 2002 8:50 am

Zhou Gongjin wrote:I'm reading Doctor Rafe De Crespigny's Generals of the South.

Is that in English? Please say yes...

Jimayo Oyamitch wrote:You ever read the running man?

Actually, no. I know it's by Bachman (SK's pseudonym), and therefore should be good, but I've never seen it in a store. It's definitely on my list when I finally get my library card though...
Gunslinger

Unread postby Jimayo » Mon Oct 28, 2002 9:20 am

Iznoach wrote:Actually, no. I know it's by Bachman (SK's pseudonym), and therefore should be good, but I've never seen it in a store. It's definitely on my list when I finally get my library card though...

You ever read 1984? Cause I would compare the two. Except The Running Man is far more entertaining, and seems more consistent with the way the world currently is.
98% of the internet population has a Myspace. If you're part of the 2% that isn't an emo bastard, copy and paste this into your sig.
Jimayo
Lord of the Thirteen Hells

Location: Nothingness. And that's where I'll be returning in oh, about 15 minutes.

Unread postby Iznoach, Legendary Dragon » Mon Oct 28, 2002 9:22 am

I've never read 1984 either, but I know the jist of the story. Anyway, is "The Running Man" anything like the Ahh-nold movie from the 80's? Or did they screw that up too?
Gunslinger

Next

Return to Literature, Academics, and Philosophy