Neutrality

Discuss literature (e.g. books, newspapers), educational studies (getting help or opinions on homework or an essay), and philosophy.

Neutrality

Unread postby ZenZach » Sun Sep 30, 2007 7:14 am

I believe neutrality is good. Being non-neutral is sometimes being ignorant of the other side, or being close-minded of the other side. Experience other things, and be an open minded neutral minded person. Not be offensive, but that is partly why I believe in no religion. I just be neutral and mindless, instead of setting my mind to guidelines and principles. The only guideline I would follow is to be good, wise, and have good karma. Basically the teachings of Buddha, except that I'm not a Buddhist. But those are my own guidelines, which I would and will follow. I'd like to know how some of you feel about my philosophy on how to live. It's not necessarily mine, but I have studied other things and philosophies and came up with this for myself to abide.
\"Do not turn your back on the various ways of this world.\"

-Miyamoto Musashi
ZenZach
Academic

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sun Sep 30, 2007 1:11 pm

Being a good person and wise is a nice goal, though you could try the neutral thing more when talking about religion rather then just outright condemning others as ignorant/close minded for having faith, your goal to be open minded and experience other things is something I agree with.
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Liu Pi » Sun Sep 30, 2007 8:03 pm

Is neutrality actually feasible or realistic for humans to achieve? By your own admission you admire Buddhist teachings, or do your beliefs happen to coincide with Gautama's?
"You cannot dream yourself into a character; you must hammer and forge yourself one." - James A. Froude
Liu Pi
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby ZenZach » Mon Oct 01, 2007 1:13 am

Liu Pi wrote:Is neutrality actually feasible or realistic for humans to achieve? By your own admission you admire Buddhist teachings, or do your beliefs happen to coincide with Gautama's?

They were somewhat inspired by the teachings of Buddha. But not entirely, Bruce Lee and Miyamoto Musashi were others whose beliefs I admired and understood.

-Miyamoto Musashi
ZenZach
Academic

Unread postby Tianshan Zi » Mon Oct 01, 2007 3:32 am

Ah, neutrality. I am fond of the concept. In general, I tend to be very neutral. (Politically, I am officially "unaffiliated.") However, speaking from experience, one must guard against being so neutral that one never wants anything specific out of life; time passes quickly, and such a habit can grow to be painful for oneself and surrounding loved ones. (Remember what the Athenians did to those who wanted to remain neutral during the Peloponnesian War? :shock: )
Last edited by Tianshan Zi on Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tianshan Zi
Headless Thompson Gunner

Unread postby ZenZach » Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:01 am

Tianshan Zi wrote:Ah, neutrality. I am fond of the concept. In general, I tend to be very neutral. (Politically, I am officially "unaffiliated.") However, speaking from experience, one must be guard against being so neutral that one never wants anything specific out of life; time passes quickly, and such a habit can grow to be painful for oneself and surrounding loved ones. (Remember what the Athenians did to those who wanted to remain neutral during the Peloponnesian War? :shock: )

Well yeah in times of war neutrality based on which side you join is not right. You have to choose a side. In reality, trying to attain peace or enlightenment comes from neutrality. Not wanting is the step towards enlightenment.

-Miyamoto Musashi
ZenZach
Academic

Unread postby Sun Gongli » Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:43 am

Neutrality is impossible when things that you hold dear are at stake. If you remain neutral when your freedom, family, friends, possessions, or virtue are at stake, then you voluntarily lose those things.
"There are those who try to shape the world to their own whim,
and then there are those who allow the world to shape them.
It is in the balance that greatness is achieved."
Sun Gongli
Poo Poo Pants

Unread postby James » Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:24 am

I don’t think it is possible to remain neutral with a family and loved ones. :)
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Lady Wu » Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:24 am

Having an opinion automatically makes you non-neutral.
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu
There's no better state than Wu
There's no better state than Wu

Unread postby James » Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:40 pm

Lady Wu wrote:Having an opinion automatically makes you non-neutral.

Good point. I guess a lot depends on how seriously one defines ‘neutrality’.
I suppose any degree of consistent neutrality would require some active consideration.
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Next

Return to Literature, Academics, and Philosophy