Graduate School

Discuss literature (e.g. books, newspapers), educational studies (getting help or opinions on homework or an essay), and philosophy.

Re: Graduate School

Unread postby laojim » Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:16 am

agga wrote:...i think that's part of what the faculty looking at applications are interested in - basic scholastic aptitude, and i guess standardized tests do say something about that. my transcript definitely wouldn't have told them i knew any math.

The thing that they used to like was vocabulary because it was assumed to measure cognitive complexity in that it was assumed that the more words you knew the more concepts you could handle. Mathematics was either seen as technical proficiency or as some sort of index of logic, depending on the program. Those two were the gold standard in that test as well as others.

A couple of years later I took the foreign language test and came up with a 98th percentile score in Spanish, a language that I still just barely understand when spoken but which I can read with facility. There were things that my Puerto Rican friend down the hall at the married student dorm didn't understand. Very strange. But it's nice to test well,isn't it?
laojim
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Zhuanyong » Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:38 am

laojim wrote:There were things that my Puerto Rican friend down the hall at the married student dorm didn't understand. Very strange. But it's nice to test well,isn't it?

From personal experience having friends both Mexican & Puerto Rican, I would say that the spanish spoken by both groups is different -- this is from them telling me that and listening to them speak to each other. What we learn in textbooks in school is closer to the dialect that Chicanos speak versus that of Boricuas.

[No comment]
Zhuanyong
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby laojim » Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:51 am

Zhuanyong wrote:
laojim wrote:There were things that my Puerto Rican friend down the hall at the married student dorm didn't understand. Very strange. But it's nice to test well,isn't it?

From personal experience having friends both Mexican & Puerto Rican, I would say that the spanish spoken by both groups is different -- this is from them telling me that and listening to them speak to each other. What we learn in textbooks in school is closer to the dialect that Chicanos speak versus that of Boricuas.

Yes indeed. I remember a guy who threw a whole group into confusion because he stated that the party was at "la casa chica" which to him meant the little house, to another it meant the girl's house, to another it meant the house of his mistress (I think he was surprised that the guy in question had one) and to others it had various shades of meaning that I didn't catch. It turned out that the party was in a small house. I learned Spanish from a lady from Spain and to this day I don't understand Mexicans.
I told this to a Puerto Rican doctor who confessed that he didn't understand them either. Apparently standard Spanish in the Americas is now thought to be spoken in Columbia and actors and announcers from there do very well in the business.
laojim
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Shu Ryorin » Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:22 am

Oh, hey, people responded.

Lady Wu wrote:Did they give you the score right away? And have you already applied to have them send the marks directly to the grad schools?

They let me know my math and verbal scores right away, but I'm still waiting on the analytic (which is now the essay section), and I did apply to have my score sent to some of the schools I'm applying to.

I think I scored okay, but I didn't do as well as I would have like. I really should've taken more time to prepare for it...
"Only dummies call people dummy, dummy!"
-some fairy in "Breath of Fire III"

Grad school is hard, you guys.
Shu Ryorin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Location: Canada, wandering the less-frozen-than-Alaska-but-still-cold wastes of grad school

Previous

Return to Literature, Academics, and Philosophy