Graduate School

Discuss literature (e.g. books, newspapers), educational studies (getting help or opinions on homework or an essay), and philosophy.

Unread postby Harimau » Sat Jun 30, 2007 3:10 am

Lady Wu wrote:I really, really want to kick the two of you out of the grad school thread.

"Grad student" who can look forward to a real job and real money after graduation? Get out of here! :lol:

Your PHD-ness is more prestigious though!

/me already has a real job!

Although, its with an american firm... blegh. I'm starting in one month, oh well.
If I'm posting here, it means I'm procrastinating.
Harimau
Shangshu Ling

Unread postby Lady Wu » Sat Jun 30, 2007 5:50 am

Harimau wrote:Your PHD-ness is more prestigious though!

Wake me up when prestige can be traded in for money.
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu
There's no better state than Wu
There's no better state than Wu

Re: Graduate School

Unread postby Shu Ryorin » Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:36 am

I'm currently considering going into grad school, probably for Japanese language or history. Any tips, other than "Don't go"? Seriously, this is me in Linguistics and Asian History classes: Image

I fear my fate has been determined. The only question that remains is where? ...and Master's or PhD... and what focus... and... okay, so a lot of questions remain. Any helpful bits of wisdom?
"Only dummies call people dummy, dummy!"
-some fairy in "Breath of Fire III"

Grad school is hard, you guys.
Shu Ryorin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Location: Canada, wandering the less-frozen-than-Alaska-but-still-cold wastes of grad school

Unread postby agga » Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:34 am

do it, do it. it's totally worth it - if you know what you want to study, and you like to study, and you like to write, i see no reason not to go for it. yeah, think long and hard about what you want to know, and find out who writes about it, or where several people write about something similar, and there you go. i did a phd, it turned out all right. so long as you don't mind another 6 or 7 years of school, or the misery of 6 months of writer's block, go for it!
造反有理!
agga
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Mike » Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:20 am

Talk to your profs. They can suggest some places to start from and look into. But as agga said, look for a school that has someone who is researching the subject you're interested in. My other suggestion would be to start the process early so you don't get dragged into an application hell like I am in right now lol.
Mike
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Kong Wen » Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:12 am

Shu Ryorin wrote:I'm currently considering going into grad school, probably for Japanese language or history. Any tips, other than "Don't go"?

Well, my advice would be—oh, wait, "other than"...OK, never mind.
"We spread the time as we can, but in the end the world takes it all back."
— Roland Deschain, Wolves of the Calla
Kong Wen
The Bronze Age of SoSZ
The Bronze Age of SoSZ

Unread postby Sun Fin » Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:39 pm

Well I want to do Post-Grad at Faculty of Asian Studies at ANU but I've got to do under-grad first. I've applied to SOAS, School of Oriental and African Studies, to do that but haven't recieved an offer yet!
Interested in the history behind the novel? Find a list of english language Three Kingdom sources here.
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby WeiWenDi » Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:22 am

Currently applying to master's programs in international relations. Deadlines are coming up about now; I'll be busy over the next couple of weeks as I finish up the applications and get them sent out.
Some more blood, Chekov. The needle won't hurt, Chekov. Take off your shirt, Chekov. Roll over, Chekov. Breathe deeply, Chekov. Blood sample, Chekov! Marrow sample, Chekov! Skin sample, Chekov! If I live long enough... I'm going to run out of samples.
WeiWenDi
Hedgehog Emperor

Unread postby Kong Wen » Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:08 am

Good luck WeiWenDi! At least a master's degree in International Relations has some semblance of usefulness (similar to the usefulness of an MBA, anyway, in that it usually ends up being a resume check-mark).
"We spread the time as we can, but in the end the world takes it all back."
— Roland Deschain, Wolves of the Calla
Kong Wen
The Bronze Age of SoSZ
The Bronze Age of SoSZ

Unread postby WeiWenDi » Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:24 am

... Thanks, Kong Wen!

But, MIA's don't have good job prospects getting out?
Some more blood, Chekov. The needle won't hurt, Chekov. Take off your shirt, Chekov. Roll over, Chekov. Breathe deeply, Chekov. Blood sample, Chekov! Marrow sample, Chekov! Skin sample, Chekov! If I live long enough... I'm going to run out of samples.
WeiWenDi
Hedgehog Emperor

PreviousNext

Return to Literature, Academics, and Philosophy