The Eragon Cycle

Discuss literature (e.g. books, newspapers), educational studies (getting help or opinions on homework or an essay), and philosophy.

Re: The Eragon Trilogy

Unread postby Sun Fin » Sun Nov 20, 2011 4:22 pm

Shen Ai wrote:Not a huge fan of this trilogy. It's simplictic so not up to par with greater fantasy novels, like LotR, Harry Potter, and Discworld. It lacks the wit and suspense to sustain itself.

That and the movie failed.

I agree that its not compareable to those works but I think your doing the author some injustice there. The world he created with all its rules (magic etc) were very well thought out. you just don't get in to that side of it much until the second, third and fourth book (yeah its no longer a trilogy).

I thought that the book was pretty good: spoilers from Inheritance below:

The werecats were awesome, only disapointed we didn't find out more about them and even more so Angela who was one of the reasons I kept reading the book. The Vault of souls seemed to be a bit of a cheat, too obvious. That said the way in which Galtrobix was finally beaten was cool. I did't like Arya getting the dragon, can't explain why but again it felt too obvious but wrong at the same time. As with any epic fantasy the weakest part of the series was the last few chapters, the tying up bit after the final victory was achieved. It ended as it had too but the last few pages were a bit of a drag IMO
Have a question about a book or academic article before you buy it? Maybe I have it!
Check out my library here for a list of Chinese history resources I have on hand!
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Striga » Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:49 pm

I haven't finished the book yet, but I figured it was going to be either Arya or Roran. Does that mean Arya marries Eragon?

Also, how did you picture the Dauthedart when it was first mentioned?
"Immense power is fun! You should try it sometime." -Syndra (favourite quote XD)
Striga
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Striga » Fri May 10, 2013 2:47 am

...I should have answered my own question a long time ago. Eragon left Alagaesia :'(
"Immense power is fun! You should try it sometime." -Syndra (favourite quote XD)
Striga
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby SunXia » Fri May 10, 2013 4:14 am

The last book was awful in my opinion I didn't like it at all!!
If becoming enlightened or an intellectual means I must become arrogant and coldly cynical about the world around me then I'd gladly remain a fool for the rest of my life!!

I'm Out4Marriage!!!Are You??

It is a CHOICE!!
SunXia
Warrior Princess
Warrior Princess

Location: Keeping Evils from this world at bay...with a smile!!

Re: The Eragon Cycle

Unread postby Sun Fin » Fri May 10, 2013 8:23 am

I need to re-read it, I devoured book 4 in less than 36 hours but I remember thinking that it was pretty good.
Have a question about a book or academic article before you buy it? Maybe I have it!
Check out my library here for a list of Chinese history resources I have on hand!
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby SunXia » Fri May 10, 2013 7:50 pm

I found the ending predictable and boring, pages and pages of "yawn" and how he defeated the dude was annoying as well!!
If becoming enlightened or an intellectual means I must become arrogant and coldly cynical about the world around me then I'd gladly remain a fool for the rest of my life!!

It is a CHOICE!!
SunXia
Warrior Princess
Warrior Princess

Unread postby Striga » Sat May 11, 2013 1:58 am

SunXia, you double posted the same message :O
Striga
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby SunXia » Sat May 11, 2013 2:06 pm

No more double exclamation marks, double posts!! Thank I saw your new post and realized!! Deleted!! Clearly a net blip!!

It is a CHOICE!!
SunXia
Warrior Princess
Warrior Princess

Previous

Return to Literature, Academics, and Philosophy