Do you Pray?

Discuss literature (e.g. books, newspapers), educational studies (getting help or opinions on homework or an essay), and philosophy.

Do you pray?

Yes
42%
No
58%

Total votes : 19

Do you Pray?

Unread postby Shadowlink » Fri May 04, 2007 12:22 am

Umm yeah.... do you pray for your love ones or something...
Shadowlink
Langzhong

Unread postby Adam » Fri May 04, 2007 1:49 am

A resounding no, obviously.

I think the main reason people do it is it makes them feel better about certain situations, or makes them think that they have done something, when really all they have done is talked to their hands or the ceiling.
But if it makes ya feel better go for it.
Though keep me out of it, I've always hated people saying "You're in my prayers" and other such things.
Adam
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Shadowlink » Fri May 04, 2007 1:52 am

:lol: Adam your in my prayer I pray for all the shuist once :D
Shadowlink
Langzhong

Unread postby Baiko Arashi » Fri May 04, 2007 1:54 am

no, i used to. but ive got my own way of appreciating god. that is why i consider myself a christian and not a catholic or any other forms. i worship in my own way, i believe in my own way and i have as much faith as the next guy. if god does exsist like i believe he does. he doesnt need me to pray to him he knows im there and what i have to say.
eh, ill find something witty to put here later.

Nothing do your mortal soul.
Arashi Baiko
Combat: 100
Command: 85
Charisma: 75
Intelligence: 70
Baiko Arashi
Prison Warden of SoSZ

Unread postby tuffy135 » Fri May 04, 2007 2:03 am

From time to time. Prayer is another form of meditation after all.
tuffy135
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Patricoo » Fri May 04, 2007 4:28 am

Make them feel better?

I do it in thanks. No, not like at bed everynight next to my bedside thanking all the things as though it were Thanksgiving...

like... when I hydroplaned on a downhill and I was more lucky to slide on a lawn instead of the many cars in front. Or whenever I've barely done some correct. Sure it's all provable and science and luck and yaddya yaddya, but I get that ichy 'something else behind it' feeling sometimes.

Baiko Arashi wrote:he doesnt need me to pray to him he knows im there and what i have to say.

Thats just being lazy. :roll: Thats like the notion that I don't need to go to church to go and worship God.

Actually, I believe that and I'm a devout catholic. I don't need to go to church and give him praise and pray. I don't need to go to confession either. I can do it with God and myself.

But common. Lets be honest. If I didn't go to church or confession, would I really spend the extra time with worship and asking for forgiveness? Pffttt... hell no. I'd be playing Dynasty Warriors and Puzzle Pirates. I go to church and confession because I wouldn't do it otherwise.
"Yey and did Fonzi downstairs cometh from his apartment from above the garage. And sayeth he, 'Reassembeleth will I, the pieces of my motorcycle, though I suffereth from temporary blindness. And yey for I am holy. Amen."
Patricoo
Langzhong

Unread postby Antiochus » Fri May 04, 2007 4:33 am

Althought I rarely go to church, I do pray sometimes. I just refuse to see god as the one who will solve my problems. The farther I can go is to ask him to help me find the strenght to solve them myself...
If they can abolish fanaticism, let us pray for the advent of the sceptics.

Raymond Aron
The Opium of the Intellectuals
Antiochus
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby SunXia » Fri May 04, 2007 11:35 am

To me, prayer is conversing with god!! I pray every night and every morning!!
If becoming enlightened or an intellectual means I must become arrogant and coldly cynical about the world around me then I'd gladly remain a fool for the rest of my life!!

I'm Out4Marriage!!!Are You??

It is a CHOICE!!
SunXia
Warrior Princess
Warrior Princess

Location: Keeping Evils from this world at bay...with a smile!!

Unread postby Mei » Fri May 04, 2007 11:38 am

I can't pray. It's completely against my nature to.
In my opinion, and please do not take offence, but I feel like I am begging for something when I pray.
Mei
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby SunXia » Fri May 04, 2007 11:57 am

You don't have to be on your knees to pray!! Prayer doesn't have to be asking for something, in fact, I pray to say thank you!! Often misconceptions like that are made!!
If becoming enlightened or an intellectual means I must become arrogant and coldly cynical about the world around me then I'd gladly remain a fool for the rest of my life!!

I'm Out4Marriage!!!Are You??

It is a CHOICE!!
SunXia
Warrior Princess
Warrior Princess

Location: Keeping Evils from this world at bay...with a smile!!

Next

Return to Literature, Academics, and Philosophy