Would you betray someone close fame/money .etc

Discuss literature (e.g. books, newspapers), educational studies (getting help or opinions on homework or an essay), and philosophy.

Would you?!

Hell Yeah!
13%
No
87%

Total votes : 23

Re: Would you betray someone close fame/money .etc

Unread postby James » Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:01 am

So many years now, and I feel like my answer is still no. I've had a little more experience seeing just how easily people can betray someone for money—what the death of someone and a little bit of inheritance can quickly do to a family—and I certainly hope I'm right on my feelings. Maybe many of us would feel a little differently if we were struggling to provide for ourselves, or our children?

I just know the subject makes me a whole lot sadder than it used to. I've seen how quickly people can turn on principles and friendships for hundreds of dollars, let alone enough to have a material impact on a lifetime.
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby FoxWithWings » Tue Dec 23, 2014 3:17 am

I feel like my answer is still no

Yes, "feel like"

That's the terrifying part. We really don't know until we're put into a position like in the one described in the question. I say I wouldn't. I say that my honor is too polished and gleaming and I all too noble to do such a thing...

But I don't know. I've never been in a position like that, and I don't know when I will. In the future, when I have a family, sons and daughters. When I need to put food into their mouths, coats over their shoulders to keep them warm, would I forsake my honor to ensure the well-being and safety of my children?
"There's no one I'd rather be, than me" -Ralph
FoxWithWings
Master

Unread postby Iain » Mon Jun 06, 2016 12:53 am

Lets put it this way, if the world starts to go to hell in a hand basket and my personal well-being is threatened then I will do whatever it takes to survive, that will probably include betrayal for personal survival.

Hopefully things will stay normal and I'll never be pushed to potential extremes and I'll continue my quiet life. ^^
Iain
Lord of Nanchang

Previous

Return to Literature, Academics, and Philosophy