Would you betray someone close fame/money .etc

Discuss literature (e.g. books, newspapers), educational studies (getting help or opinions on homework or an essay), and philosophy.

Would you?!

Hell Yeah!
13%
No
87%

Total votes : 23

Unread postby Kong Wen » Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:58 am

It all depends on what you mean by "betray." :)
"We spread the time as we can, but in the end the world takes it all back."
— Roland Deschain, Wolves of the Calla
Kong Wen
The Bronze Age of SoSZ
The Bronze Age of SoSZ

Unread postby Mitsunari » Sat Apr 28, 2007 10:44 pm

I would never betray the trust or confidence of someone close to me. It would be unjust and, frankly, unthinkable.
Yet, if it were a loose acquaintence or perfect stranger, then yes, if circumstances dictated thus.
''Even through the darkest of days, this fire burns, always...''
Mitsunari
Akaoni of the Red Fire Unit

Location: Facing the hoardes of Darkness, with a sword in my hand and a fire in my heart...

Unread postby Six_and_Up » Sun Apr 29, 2007 12:57 am

No, because any gain achieved through deceptive ends is never permanent and it'll always come around and screw you over later in life...
Currently playing: Dragon Quest VIII
Six_and_Up
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Re: Would you betray someone close fame/money .etc

Unread postby tofu » Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:15 am

NEVER-I would never betray my friends for anything. I view loyalty as one of the most important virtues a person can have, and friends are more important than money and fame. No matter how much you offered me, I wouldn't betray my friends.

If someone hasn't done anything bad to you, I don't think you sould betray them either. If they have however, I say go for it-get back at them. :twisted:
"His head looks as though it was stuck on a pole for sale," said Guan Yu, just glancing over the army at his feet.

"O green-eyed boy! O purple-bearded rat! Do you know me?"
tofu
Scholar

Unread postby 1mandynasty » Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:12 am

hell yeah :!:
1mandynasty
Student

Location: Leaving my playground..okay playtime's over..time to growup..

Unread postby Shikanosuke » Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:52 pm

At least we have people who are willing to be honest and admit it. The natural response to this question will almost alwas be 'no' or 'never' or some variation. Realistically speaking, this is doubtful. Thats not to say all people would (though you could make that argument), but a large majority would probably be eating their words ( or likely just back-peddling and rationalizating why they did it).
Shikanosuke
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Lonely_dragon » Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:31 am

Shikanosuke wrote:At least we have people who are willing to be honest and admit it. The natural response to this question will almost alwas be 'no' or 'never' or some variation. Realistically speaking, this is doubtful. Thats not to say all people would (though you could make that argument), but a large majority would probably be eating their words ( or likely just back-peddling and rationalizating why they did it).

You're right but I will still answer "No" not because I don't want to admit it but just a simple reason. Those who are close to me are irreplacable. And though they might someday betray me for that reason. I will simply remain loyal to them. Besides of that I'd rather die than betray my friends and family. It is different is that someone is just a mere person or whom I didn't want to know. :lol:
"Know yourself Know your enemy you can win 100 battles, Know yourself and know not the enemy find win and defeat in equal measures, Know not yourself and know not the enemy defeated in every battle." Sun Tzu
Lonely_dragon
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Shikanosuke » Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:24 am

Lonely_dragon wrote:
Shikanosuke wrote:At least we have people who are willing to be honest and admit it. The natural response to this question will almost alwas be 'no' or 'never' or some variation. Realistically speaking, this is doubtful. Thats not to say all people would (though you could make that argument), but a large majority would probably be eating their words ( or likely just back-peddling and rationalizating why they did it).

You're right but I will still answer "No" not because I don't want to admit it but just a simple reason. Those who are close to me are irreplacable. And though they might someday betray me for that reason. I will simply remain loyal to them. Besides of that I'd rather die than betray my friends and family. It is different is that someone is just a mere person or whom I didn't want to know. :lol:

Most people probably really never know the validity of their claims in this area until they have actually been tested. Family often may hold true, but friends fall apart quickly under such strains.
Shikanosuke
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby davidhassid » Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:35 am

With a question like that, I have no choice but to think: "Hmmm... If I put years into a relationship with a friend or my family, and I'd trust them with all my heart and soul, would I want them to betray me or my trust in them?" No. Therefore, I cannot betray their trust in me and still retain a clear conscience.
davidhassid
Tyro

Unread postby Shikanosuke » Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:40 pm

davidhassid wrote:With a question like that, I have no choice but to think: "Hmmm... If I put years into a relationship with a friend or my family, and I'd trust them with all my heart and soul, would I want them to betray me or my trust in them?" No. Therefore, I cannot betray their trust in me and still retain a clear conscience.

Interesting that you base your decision for not betraying someone on practicality, yet what if practicality demanded you betray them?

I'm not upset so many people believe they are in the x% that wouldn't betray someone for something, but I think you should realistically accept there is a siginifigant amount of people who will even if they are damn sure they never would, and you may be in that category.
Shikanosuke
Scholar of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to Literature, Academics, and Philosophy