Fortune Telling

Discuss literature (e.g. books, newspapers), educational studies (getting help or opinions on homework or an essay), and philosophy.

Unread postby Kong Wen » Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:41 am

I don't see how a few sheets of paper can say anything of any substance about a person, independent of supernatural intervention.

I also think the idea of a "higher self" or "deeper self" is highly spectacularized and mysticized. If anything, all of these different modes of concentration, meditation, trance, and even drug-induced states of consciousness are simply ways of making the brain do stuff it's not used to doing. The brain is an immensely powerful thing that no one really understand very well, and it's capable of doing quite a bit that would surprise us. That's not a "higher" me or a "deeper" me or an "astral" me or an "enlightened" me. It's just a me I haven't stretched.

There are bound to be ways to unleash that power, but they certainly aren't directly (or exclusively) connected to inaccurate star charts, geological formations, superstitious incantations, arcane works of art, or any of the other paraphernalia that we've been using to attempt to understand ourselves for so long.
"We spread the time as we can, but in the end the world takes it all back."
— Roland Deschain, Wolves of the Calla
Kong Wen
The Bronze Age of SoSZ
The Bronze Age of SoSZ

Unread postby tuffy135 » Wed Apr 11, 2007 4:00 am

actually any deck of cards could be used as tarot cards. The major arcana is actually the averege deck of cards.

There is nothing mysterious about transferance of energy to serve different purposes.

This is where the concept of "the force" comes into play. Every religion and Taoism(philosophy/religion) agree on the concept of energy connecting everything. They tend to disagree on its form.

Words have always been the most ancient method of concentrating energy. Rune stones are just words. To utter the true name of God was believed to be a way to control God, or at least an attempt to control God.

Tarot cards, rune stones, gazing into water or a mirror, listening to water, gazing into flames, or reading tea leaves are all effective, though strange, methods of reading a fortune.

Those who are more gifted, or better at concentrating, can read auras. This can tell fortunes, past lives, offer relationship advice, and tell all sorts of things about a person.

It's not the objects that perform the readings and the interpertations, it is only the "reader."
tuffy135
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Kristina » Wed Apr 11, 2007 4:03 am

So, how about the other part of the original question. How much faith or belief tdo you put into these things, tuff?
Kristina
Certified Zombie Killer Harlequin
Certified Zombie Killer Harlequin

Unread postby tuffy135 » Wed Apr 11, 2007 6:35 am

A lot. A whole lot. But, my research continues! :lol:
tuffy135
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Re: Fortune Telling

Unread postby Aygor » Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:46 pm

Topic revival time!
I have always been fond of tarots, since I found one in my house as a kid, and now I decided to get back into cards as I received the thoth tarot deck created by Crowley and illustrated by lady Harris.
I neither believe in fortune telling nor in occultism, but it has always been a nice pastime.
Anyone else here likes tarots?
分久必合,合久必分
Ἀτύφως μὲν λαβεῖν, εὐλύτως δὲ ἀφεῖναι
Aygor
Langzhong

Unread postby SunXia » Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:15 pm

I've played around with them in my time!! I love the different aspects of the cards!!
If becoming enlightened or an intellectual means I must become arrogant and coldly cynical about the world around me then I'd gladly remain a fool for the rest of my life!!

I'm Out4Marriage!!!Are You??

It is a CHOICE!!
SunXia
Warrior Princess
Warrior Princess

Location: Keeping Evils from this world at bay...with a smile!!

Unread postby Ayame » Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:44 am

I've got several Tarot card sets. I just think they're pretty. There's also a set of Rune stones.
Ayame
Academic

Unread postby Aygor » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:02 am

Ayame wrote:I've got several Tarot card sets. I just think they're pretty. There's also a set of Rune stones.

Sweet! which tarot deck is your favourite?
Rune stones sets are also very sweet, what are yours made of?
分久必合,合久必分
Ἀτύφως μὲν λαβεῖν, εὐλύτως δὲ ἀφεῖναι
Aygor
Langzhong

Unread postby Ayame » Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:22 pm

Aygor wrote:
Ayame wrote:I've got several Tarot card sets. I just think they're pretty. There's also a set of Rune stones.

Sweet! which tarot deck is your favourite?
Rune stones sets are also very sweet, what are yours made of?

I rather like my Celtic Tarot deck. It has great art.
Ayame
Academic

Previous

Return to Literature, Academics, and Philosophy