Fortune Telling

Discuss literature (e.g. books, newspapers), educational studies (getting help or opinions on homework or an essay), and philosophy.

Fortune Telling

Unread postby Kristina » Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:35 am

Does anyone here study or know about any of the various fortune-telling methods? How much faith do you have in them?

Me, I can read Tarot, and palms. I don't set too much beilief in them, but it is a fun thing to bring out when things get dull. Anytime you're in a quiet room and say, "Anyone want their fortune told?" you get mauled, and fast.

Another question, Why are most people, even those who write it all off as nonsense, so interested in this? I've seriously read cards for about 15 people straight, all of them poeple who were saying that it wasn't true. But they still wanted to get readings.

And one more: Why are some people convinced that things like Ouija boards and The Tarot are demon possesed? My stepmom hates the fact that I have Tarot cards in the house, and blames every bad thing on them. When an self-important assistant principal took them away from me, my stepmom declared about a week later that she was glad, because bad things had stopped happening. ( I failed to tell her that the next day we had more bad news, and the cards had not been brought back. . but oh well . ..)
Kristina
Certified Zombie Killer Harlequin
Certified Zombie Killer Harlequin
 
Posts: 2208
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2005 2:36 pm
Location: Haughton, LA

Unread postby Lady Wu » Sun Apr 08, 2007 4:31 am

(1) Regarding those people who claim they don't believe in fortune telling and yet are eager to get their fortunes told: I think there are two main types of people in this category. There are ones that are against fortune telling only to make themselves look more scientific and smart, but who secretly still believe it. There are also ones who just want a chance to rub it in your face and go "hahaha, told you it doesn't work."

(2) On the other end, there are people who do believe in spirits and spirit possession, and who truly think that Ouija boards and Tarot cards have something to do with the supernatural/demonic realms. And they are afraid of them, just like how some people are afraid of black cats or Friday the 13th (btw, I did once have a student who wrote me in earnest: "I'm sorry I couldn't make it to your office hours, because it was a Friday the 13th.").

For the record, I don't believe in fortune telling and I'm not interested in having someone tell my fortune. There was someone in my class who's really into astrology, and she'd go around telling people that because they are of this or that sign, they should do this or that this year, etc. She's a fun person and she says those things out of good intention, but it irritates me a lot.
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
User avatar
Lady Wu
There's no better state than Wu
There's no better state than Wu
 
Posts: 12846
Joined: Mon Aug 26, 2002 2:35 am
Location: Wu-ere else?

Unread postby Kong Wen » Sun Apr 08, 2007 4:53 am

Lady Wu wrote:(1) Regarding those people who claim they don't believe in fortune telling and yet are eager to get their fortunes told: I think there are two main types of people in this category. There are ones that are against fortune telling only to make themselves look more scientific and smart, but who secretly still believe it. There are also ones who just want a chance to rub it in your face and go "hahaha, told you it doesn't work."

There are also people who don't believe in it, but they're still interested in hearing fortunes for fun, entertainment, or out of some other kind of interest.
"We spread the time as we can, but in the end the world takes it all back."
— Roland Deschain, Wolves of the Calla
User avatar
Kong Wen
The Bronze Age of SoSZ
The Bronze Age of SoSZ
 
Posts: 11857
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2003 7:38 pm
Location: Canada

Unread postby James » Sun Apr 08, 2007 4:53 am

I can read the tarot. I’ve never given another person a reading, though. When I was much younger I used them for myself. My deck is back in Utah. There are actually numerous different interpretations of from where the ‘magic’ comes into play. Along the same vein of spirits and demons, many believe it could be angels or even God (I’ve met numerous Christian fortune tellers*). My favorite interpretation was that it puts you in touch with your ‘higher self’ or ‘higher consciousness’, just as you would strive to do in meditation. If you study the science behind this stuff you’ll learn how you access more of your brain, and can concentrate on increasingly more complicated matters, as you slip into a deeper and deeper level of consciousness.

[* I realize the term ‘fortune teller’ is actually quite offensive to many people. I wasn’t able to think up an alternate term while writing to describe the interest without creating more confusion.]

I’ve never gone to traditional fortune tellers. I’ve never had someone read me tarot cards, I’ve never visited a person with a crystal ball. The field is near completely populated with scam artists. I did know a woman who was heavily involved in astrology, though, and I got my natal chart from her. Even if only for novelty, I thought it would be a delightful thing to read through. I still have it somewhere. What surprised me, though, is how terribly accurate it actually is (was).
Last edited by James on Mon Apr 09, 2007 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
User avatar
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish
 
Posts: 17956
Joined: Fri Jun 14, 2002 3:21 pm
Location: Happy Valley, UT

Unread postby tuffy135 » Sun Apr 08, 2007 7:33 pm

Let me put it this way: One day I was at my girlfriend's work, and one of her friends who had previously requested a reading asked if I had my cards. Right away I had four of her other co-workers waiting for a reading. Then one of her bosses...then 3 more co-workers...then one of their sisters...then they wanted a different kind of reading...then everyone wanted a different kind of reading.

All of my readings were dead-on, and if freaked them all out. Suddenly I was surrounded by 4 women who were arguing over who got the next reading. I had to keep calming them down so the person I was reading and myself could both concentrate. Eventually my girlfriend had to drag me away from her co-workers, otherwise I'd be stuck there the whole day.

Tarot cards don't read fortunes, they read people. They read both the concious and the subconcious. This makes them great for meditation. Even psychics I have visited don't use them to tell the future, but to read the person in front of them.

But, out of precaution, I blessed my Tarot cards with holy water.

I recently picked up Nordic Rune Stones. Those are interesting. From time to time when needed I also practice "magic". I've both performed and help in protection spells and curses.(if you do a curse, you need to start with a protection spell in case of any backlash)
tuffy135
Scholar of Shen Zhou
 
Posts: 630
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2007 2:54 am

Unread postby Kristina » Sun Apr 08, 2007 8:13 pm

James wrote:I can read the tarot. I’ve never given another person a reading, though. When I was much younger I used them for myself. My deck is back in Utah. There are actually numerous different interpretations of from where the ‘magic’ comes into play. Along the same vein of spirits and demons, many believe it could be angels or even God (I’ve met numerous Christian fortune tellers). My favorite interpretation was that it puts you in touch with your ‘higher self’ or ‘higher consciousness’, just as you would strive to do in meditation. If you study the science behind this stuff you’ll learn how you access more of your brain, and can concentrate on increasingly more complicated matters, as you slip into a deeper and deeper level of consciousness.

I’ve never gone to traditional fortune tellers. I’ve never had someone read me tarot cards, I’ve never visited a person with a crystal ball. The field is near completely populated with scam artists. I did know a woman who was heavily involved in astrology, though, and I got my natal chart from her. Even if only for novelty, I thought it would be a delightful thing to read through. I still have it somewhere. What surprised me, though, is how terribly accurate it actually is (was).


Wow, i didn't know that you could read Tarot, James! Well, it's not really surprising. .but whatever!

I like 'higher self' interpretation too. It really annoys me when people get overly superstition about things like the Tarot.

Anyone know anything about Ouija boards? A friend and I were considering getting one to see what happens. I've heard stories from people about how they got and knives started flying around teh house trying to attack them and crap. . .That I dont believe. It sounds like a bad horror movie mixed with a bad acid trip to me. But I'm still interested in that maybe. . .
Kristina
Certified Zombie Killer Harlequin
Certified Zombie Killer Harlequin
 
Posts: 2208
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2005 2:36 pm
Location: Haughton, LA

Unread postby Yun Shou » Sun Apr 08, 2007 9:32 pm

Kristina wrote:Anyone know anything about Ouija boards? A friend and I were considering getting one to see what happens. I've heard stories from people about how they got and knives started flying around teh house trying to attack them and crap. . .That I dont believe. It sounds like a bad horror movie mixed with a bad acid trip to me. But I'm still interested in that maybe. . .


To dabble with Ouija boards without the proper mediation isn't recommended! Sure, what you're describing isn't usually what happens during a session, but still, messing with ouija boards can be like playing with fire; you will eventually get burned.

When you summon the essences of the dead from the ether, you effectively open a gate by which the spirits can enter this plain of existence. Invariably, it isn't just the one spirit that 'passes through'. Many can enter, and there's no telling if they're going to be benevolent or not. Therefore, mediation by a spiritualist medium of some description is absolutely critical, my friend.

I'm only telling you this so that you don't experiment with one and something awful happens. And trust me, it does happen.
Yun Shou
Academic
 
Posts: 178
Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:34 pm

Unread postby Kristina » Sun Apr 08, 2007 9:56 pm

Yun Shou wrote:To dabble with Ouija boards without the proper mediation isn't recommended! Sure, what you're describing isn't usually what happens during a session, but still, messing with ouija boards can be like playing with fire; you will eventually get burned.

When you summon the essences of the dead from the ether, you effectively open a gate by which the spirits can enter this plain of existence. Invariably, it isn't just the one spirit that 'passes through'. Many can enter, and there's no telling if they're going to be benevolent or not. Therefore, mediation by a spiritualist medium of some description is absolutely critical, my friend.

I'm only telling you this so that you don't experiment with one and something awful happens. And trust me, it does happen.


Thanks for the warning and the input, but I'm extremely hard-headed, and I usually am convinced that I know what I'm doing, even when there's 20 poeple screaming at me to stop. Nah, I'm not that bad, but I'm the kind of person who's convinced by nothing less than experience points walloped out by the School of Hard Knocks.

I'm a hard-core experimentalist, but rest assured that if I ever do get ahold of one, I will take a few precautions and do my reasearch, just in case.

I don't see myself getting one for at least 1 1/2 years, because it took EVERYTHING I could do to be allowed to bring a harmless deck of Tarot cards into the house with my stepmother running things.
Kristina
Certified Zombie Killer Harlequin
Certified Zombie Killer Harlequin
 
Posts: 2208
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2005 2:36 pm
Location: Haughton, LA

Unread postby tuffy135 » Sun Apr 08, 2007 11:42 pm

I hate to pry, but I know what you mean. My girlfriend's mother doesn't allow her to have anything of the magical variety like tarot cards or incense...But then again, her mother is Catholic and afraid of rosaries...
tuffy135
Scholar of Shen Zhou
 
Posts: 630
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2007 2:54 am

Unread postby Rhiannon » Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:17 am

I have a Tarot deck, and I've dabbled in doing a few readings, but I wouldn't officially say that I can read the Tarot. I'm still getting acquainted with my deck (it has sat on the side for a few years now anyway), and reading the Tarot is still a new experience for me that I've learned as I've gone along.

I'm the kind of person who doesn't believe so much in reading the future, as reading the person whose fortune is being told. That's why I respect the Tarot and a few other divining instruments - because they provide ways to insight into one's character, rather than simply saying that some event is going to happen to you in the future.
"For us to have self-esteem is truly an act of revolution and our revolution is long overdue."
— Margaret Cho
User avatar
Rhiannon
Joy & Oblivion
Joy & Oblivion
 
Posts: 5268
Joined: Sat Nov 23, 2002 10:10 pm

Next

Return to Literature, Academics, and Philosophy

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Copyright © 2002–2008 Kongming’s Archives. All Rights Reserved