Hate Shakespeare?

Discuss literature (e.g. books, newspapers), educational studies (getting help or opinions on homework or an essay), and philosophy.

Unread postby William Shakespeare » Sat Jan 29, 2005 5:28 am

Omega52 wrote:I don't hate anyone, especially people I never met that died before I was born, but I don't find his stories interesting.

What, dislike a story of revenge?
A tale of lust, and murder's bloody hand?
Of dim-wits' antics or a villain's plots?
Of true romance, of greed, of sex, of death?
Read not my stories as some lofty art,
But as a motion picture in thy head.
William Shakespeare
Tyro

Unread postby barbarosso » Sun Jan 30, 2005 10:00 pm

William Shakespeare wrote: What, dislike a story of revenge?
A tale of lust, and murder's bloody hand?
Of dim-wits' antics or a villain's plots?
Of true romance, of greed, of sex, of death?
Read not my stories as some lofty art,
But as a motion picture in thy head.

hee hee you talk like him to, wait a sec you are him, sorry! you wrote some real amazing work....

.... could i have your autograph?
"The fine line before, arrogance and confitdence is bearly visible when we hold our heads up high" Me thats who !
barbarosso
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Ma Tai » Thu Feb 17, 2005 10:53 pm

We're reading Romeo & Juliet right now in English, actually, and I love it. While the other students in my class think it's dumb and can't understand it, I actually do understand it and can translate it into modern English without the help of my teacher.

It's also funny how Shakespeare invented the word, "punk." :lol:
Ma Tai
Apprentice

Re: Hate Shakespeare?

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:03 pm

Watched Hamlet back in January and remembered this thread, hope nobody minds me doing this little necromancy, been meaning to post.

My mother has always hated the way Shakespeare is forced down childrens throats in England, leading to some sympathy when Blackadder attacked Shakespeare (ignore the comments). As a teacher she often accompanied the children to their outing at their theater, long after they had got sick of the guy, they weren't exactly too happy at going to it. After the play was done, some of them were very regretful they hadn't listened properly from start of play and had loved what they heard. How many others were lost to his works or plays themselves by the force feeding?

I'm not fond of reading plays (I prefer to act them out) and I generally don't watch too many plays on TV though my sister loves them. My mother would rent a Shakespeare dvd, an old one usually, every six months for us to watch when I was younger, her, my little sister and me. Some I didn't like but overall, I enjoyed them, they could be funny but the stories flowed well and the characters were good. I can't compere Shakespeare with other's of his time, I simply don't know enough about plays in general to comment, I just admire the particular playwright's work and the ability of others to adapt it (example, the bbc's mini modern Shakespeare series was highly entertaining). Old language, new language, old world, new world, as long as it is well directed and well acted, it works and makes for an enjoyable afternoon
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Mikhail » Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:47 am

I also don't like reading plays. I can't figure anything out at all. We're reading Aristophanes right now for my Classical Literature class and everything is just words and I don't know what's happening in the story.

For Shakespeare, I've read Romeo & Juliet, Macbeth, and Julius Caesar and I really only enjoyed the latter. That's probably because I'm a fan of Antony and Brutus in general. I might be missing one since I believe we had to read a Shakespeare play every year of high school. Maybe Hamlet...
Soweneul Malhaebwa (Tell me your wish).
Mikhail
Great Sage Equaling Heaven

Unread postby Tigger of Kai » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:36 am

What a fantastic thread! I wonder if our "William Shakespeare" is a familiar someone's alter-ego.

Lady Wu wrote:I didn't used to like reading the plays but when they are performed well it's always a treat. I have to say I like Julius Caesar the best, but that's probably because I took a Shakespear-acting class one summer and that's the play we did. It was a lot of fun acting the lines out loud (not to mention killing Caesar and then myself :twisted: ), and actually by realising that the lines are supposed to be read outloud (duh! yes I didn't realise that before) in a dynamic setting rather than silently in class, I came to appreciate the plays better as literature.

Very cool -- I was Lear once, just for one scene, and the experience has definitely enhanced my enjoyment of that play. My favorite's Macbeth, though. When it comes to war, murder and assassination, Shakespeare really knows how to do it right.

Thinking of taking up A Winter's Tale. I hear a guy gets eaten by a bear. And the guy deserves it!
Mithril! The dwarves tell no tales. But just as it was the foundation of their wealth, so also it was their destruction. They delved too greedily and too deep, and disturbed that from which they fled.
Tigger of Kai
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby HowSwiftThySword » Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:10 pm

Meh, I find almost all of his sonnets and plays boring. Excellently written, but boring. With the exception of Hamlet.
Quote of the Day:

"Someday I'll strangle you with your own beard, Cao Cao!" - Dong Zhou
HowSwiftThySword
Scholar

Unread postby fly_west » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:21 pm

I'm a rather big fan of Shakespeare. I'm an English major, and am going to be an English teacher after I finish college. Shakespeare did a lot for the English language, but I like him because of the stories he has to tell. Hamlet, a story of madness and revenge. King Lear, a study in irony. Macbeth, a warning against power mongering and greed (Too bad the men of Shu, plus Wu's Sun Hao couldn't learn this story). I just think Shakespeare had quite a way with words and could craft them into amazing stories. On the other hand, while I respect his sonnets, I'm not a big fan of them.

Reminder: Never give Cao Cao a place to stay for the night and a good meal. He'll kill you and your entire family. :)
fly_west
Assistant

Unread postby Kristina » Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:02 pm

The thing about Shakespeare is that you -need- to see the plays. I hated the guy until a troupe came to town. I saw Hamlet and The Comedy of Errors, and loved every minute of each. It's amazing how much humor that is in the plays that you miss while reading, and how much the actors really effecxt the play.

Bottom line - See a play before you write off Shakespeare. It's like music - Everything is better live.
Kristina
Certified Zombie Killer Harlequin
Certified Zombie Killer Harlequin

Unread postby SunXia » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:54 pm

I've seen them and I' still not a fan, the only one I like was A midsummer's Dream because it was mildly interesting but the rest, nope, sayingthat, he was talented for his time!!
If becoming enlightened or an intellectual means I must become arrogant and coldly cynical about the world around me then I'd gladly remain a fool for the rest of my life!!

I'm Out4Marriage!!!Are You??

It is a CHOICE!!
SunXia
Warrior Princess
Warrior Princess

Location: Keeping Evils from this world at bay...with a smile!!

PreviousNext

Return to Literature, Academics, and Philosophy