Hate Shakespeare?

Discuss literature (e.g. books, newspapers), educational studies (getting help or opinions on homework or an essay), and philosophy.

Hate Shakespeare?

Unread postby Zaha » Wed Sep 18, 2002 10:50 am

Most people I know hate Shakespere... Its either because of his extensive vocbulary or his complicated plots. However, I think he is quite interesting and my favourite book is one of his comedies: Twelft Night. Do you people like him and if yes, which one's your favourite book and if no, why not! I'm really curious... :shock:
Zaha
Initiate

Unread postby Zhou Gongjin » Wed Sep 18, 2002 11:23 am

It's: Shakespeare
Just so you know.
I read his poems in english class but I didn't really like them. I used some of them to write love letters. :oops:
He who exercises government by means of his virtue may be compared to the north polar star, which keeps its place and all the stars turn towards it.
-孔夫子
Zhou Gongjin
鋼のチビ

Re: Hate Shakespere?

Unread postby Harimau » Wed Sep 18, 2002 11:35 am

Zaha wrote:Most people I know hate Shakespere... Its either because of his extensive vocbulary or his complicated plots. However, I think he is quite interesting and my favourite book is one of his comedies: Twelft Night. Do you people like him and if yes, which one's your favourite book and if no, why not! I'm really curious... :shock:

The reason why he seems to have such an extensive vocab is that he sometimes 'cheated' as might be said and 'created' a few new words to express the feelings. This is why he is included in the great men of letters as he helped to diversify and improve the language of english we have today. We might not use the exact words, but there are traces of them in the modernized language of today of them.

I for one like some of his plays, one like Julius Caesar and hate others, like Merchant of Venice. I especially love the part where Marcus Antonius makes a speech "Friends, Countrymens, Romans.....Lend me your ears!" (Something like that, cant remember the exact quote). Its a just a matter of preference.
If I'm posting here, it means I'm procrastinating.
Harimau
Shangshu Ling

Unread postby Maria » Wed Sep 18, 2002 11:40 am

I'm not that fond of him, probably just my taste. Heh.

I enjoy most of his play/novel, though at some part or another the story seems to die down for a few while.
Maria
Iron Duchess

Unread postby Lady Wu » Wed Sep 18, 2002 8:40 pm

I didn't used to like reading the plays but when they are performed well it's always a treat. I have to say I like Julius Caesar the best, but that's probably because I took a Shakespear-acting class one summer and that's the play we did. It was a lot of fun acting the lines out loud (not to mention killing Caesar and then myself :twisted: ), and actually by realising that the lines are supposed to be read outloud (duh! yes I didn't realise that before) in a dynamic setting rather than silently in class, I came to appreciate the plays better as literature.
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu
There's no better state than Wu
There's no better state than Wu

Unread postby Shi Jing Xu » Wed Sep 18, 2002 11:36 pm

His archaic form of poetry, plays, etc., is quite hard to read and understand. But the plays, if you notice, have puns on certain things. Such as in Julius Caesar. In that play, Casca is talking to Cassius and Brutus about the celebration. He says that Cicero was talking to him, but he said: "It was Greek to me."
That has been used nowadays meaning you don't understand what was said.
Besides Romeo and Juliet and Julius Caesar, I haven't read enough of his literature to fully hate him.
Though, in my opinion, he was quite intelligent. He studied birds, flowers, and numerology for his literature. Don't think him gay because of that (I won't go into the 'boys' of the play), but he used his knowledge of those things for the play. Such as in Romeo and Juliet. They talk about the lark and nighting gale. At that time, they each represented a time, night and morning. So, those were used instead of saying: "It's morning now."
"As if you could kill time without injuring eternity." ~ Henry David Thoreau
Shi Jing Xu
Hermione G

Unread postby Iznoach, Legendary Dragon » Thu Sep 19, 2002 6:30 am

Actually, I enjoyed much of the Shakespeare we were required to read during school. My fav's were Macbeth and Romeo and Juliet...it's just too bad all the works I've read of his have sad endings...
"Armed and dangerous, ain't too many can hang wit us
straight up weed no angel dust, label us Notorious..."--Biggie
Iznoach, Legendary Dragon
Gunslinger

Overexposure is a horrible thing

Unread postby Lu Xun » Thu Sep 19, 2002 6:56 am

Shakepeare (yes, there are quite a few spellings of his name, which leads many people to believe he wasn't one person, it was a someone else, etc.) and his works are often forced upon the youth of America (can't say much about the rest of the world) and this in not too great. Many children find it to be comparable to seeing the dentiest, which is what happens when you make someone read something they are not used to.

What do I think? Shakespeare's work is exactly what is, I consider his works great, but so are his contemporaries like Marlowe, Jonson, and Ibsen. I feel that over-zealous people who regard Shakespeare as a demigod really turn off many people from his works. IMO, Shakespeare's best work, is his simplist, Othello. It is highly unlike him, to have such a straightfoward plot and character neatly representing virtues and vices. I won't reveal too much, but give it a shot. Then, maybe you should read some of his more complex works like Hamlet. :wink:

Another gripe is as an actor, teachers expect me nearly wet myself at the fact of reading Shakespeare, which is awful because if I'm not giving 100%, they get angry. I honestly could care less about doing some stupid essay on Romeo and Juliet when I'm busy working on plays and tournaments. Then there are the kids who jump on reading the lead parts...who will ask me if they did well, and are nearly dumbfounded when I actually give constructive critisim. I'd rather not get to involved in that kind of mixing of my non-theatre friends because they really don't seem to understand, but nevemind I'm going into a tangent. Bye! :wink:
性高潮枪
"Cheap sandal-maker! Do you always send your little bastard to the field?
If I call my little yellowbeard Cao Zhang over, he'll make meatballs of him!"
- Mengde
Lu Xun
Crown Prince of Shen Zhou

Location: Drinking wine, writing poems, and spending time with my concubines

Unread postby Great_Demon » Thu Sep 26, 2002 5:12 pm

In my school we read too much of his work, especially if the school keeps repeating the same storie again and again, for example: Romeo and Juilet we read it for two years running and Macbeth for Three years, thats why i don't like them ones, but last year was treat we read A midsummer nights dream. That was a good one, this year were not reading it.

So overall hes a good story and play writer (spelling).
了不起的邪魔

Every warrior has a name...
...and they all answer to you

"I HAVE BECOME DEATH,
DESTROYER OF WORLDS".-Xzar

"WE'RE ALL DOOMED!".-Xan
Great_Demon
Langzhong

Unread postby Starscream » Thu Sep 26, 2002 6:08 pm

I hate The Merchant of Venice, it's racist...otherwise, Shakespere's works are rather neutral. In terms of content, they are more straight-forward than the literature in the 18-19th century? My friend kept complaining about Women in Love or something.... :lol:
”太慢了。“
Starscream
Decepticon Air Commander

Next

Return to Literature, Academics, and Philosophy