Do well-educated people commit less violent crimes?

Discuss literature (e.g. books, newspapers), educational studies (getting help or opinions on homework or an essay), and philosophy.

Do well-educated people commit less violent crimes?

Unread postby James » Wed Oct 26, 2005 4:00 pm

Subotai wrote:correct me if i am wrong, but i think that for the majority of us, the more education you have the less likely you are to commit violent crime. the more education you have the more you get paid. the more education you have the more tolerant you are. the more education you have the more money you have the more stuff you have the lesser chance that you would go out and take risks. so why in the world isnt education more imporatant than it is in this country (US)?
and what can we do about it?

Split from topic, <a href="/viewtopic.php?t=14001">Where have all the conservatives gone?</a>
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Kristina » Wed Oct 26, 2005 4:20 pm

not really, a lot of people that have been serial killers were smart. think about the BTK killer.
Kristina
Certified Zombie Killer Harlequin
Certified Zombie Killer Harlequin

Unread postby Jimayo » Wed Oct 26, 2005 5:39 pm

Ted Kozinski. They talk about him in Good Will Hunting. He was brilliant and had a phd. You know what they say, there's a fine line between genius and insanity.
98% of the internet population has a Myspace. If you're part of the 2% that isn't an emo bastard, copy and paste this into your sig.
Jimayo
Lord of the Thirteen Hells

Location: Nothingness. And that's where I'll be returning in oh, about 15 minutes.

Unread postby Waking Dragon » Wed Oct 26, 2005 5:42 pm

correct me if i am wrong, but i think that for the majority of us, the more education you have the less likely you are to commit violent crime. the more education you have the more you get paid. the more education you have the more tolerant you are. the more education you have the more money you have the more stuff you have the lesser chance that you would go out and take risks.

You forgot about taxes. :wink: Nah, I partially disagree with that statement. Though money can buy goods and luxuries, it can't buy love, heal depression, and it definitely won't keep you motivated because you feel that you have reached your financial goals. In most cases you're right Subotai, but not in all cases. All education does is prepare you for your future financially. You'll have a house, an automobile, insurance, etc. which is all good and is needed for one to live normally, but there is so much more beauty in life and education does not reveal that essence. You're financial needs are met, you're emotional needs aren't...boom, then you might be vulnerable to insecurity and crime.
"Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water." r.i.p legend...

Bruce Lee
Waking Dragon
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Guan Yunchang » Wed Oct 26, 2005 6:46 pm

1. I did bad in school.
2. I have a mental disease.
3. I have few friends, unless you count my favorites (I had the idea before I read the latest Harry Potter book).
4. I have three names, Fredrick von Fiedler.

The only thing keeping me from mass murder is the fact that I have never read The Catcher in the Rye.
Same old song, just a drop of water in an endless sea.
All we do, crumbles to the ground though we refuse to see.
Dust in the wind, all we are is dust in the wind.
Rest in piece Liao Hua.
Guan Yunchang
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Location: Rest in peace good buddy. I only hope you missed me as much as I miss you now.

Unread postby Jimayo » Wed Oct 26, 2005 7:00 pm

Guan Yunchang wrote:The only thing keeping me from mass murder is the fact that I have never read The Catcher in the Rye.

I've read the catcher in the rye. I have an iq of 165, and I am fairly insane too. The only thing keeping me from mass murder is the fact that I don't want to go to jail. Otherwise I'd start cleaning the gene pool.
98% of the internet population has a Myspace. If you're part of the 2% that isn't an emo bastard, copy and paste this into your sig.
Jimayo
Lord of the Thirteen Hells

Location: Nothingness. And that's where I'll be returning in oh, about 15 minutes.

Unread postby SunXia » Wed Oct 26, 2005 8:02 pm

Different people react in different ways to education, though in my country if some people knew more about certain things, they wouldn't be as violent...though I do hesitate to say that in a way but people need to stay at school more.
If becoming enlightened or an intellectual means I must become arrogant and coldly cynical about the world around me then I'd gladly remain a fool for the rest of my life!!

I'm Out4Marriage!!!Are You??

It is a CHOICE!!
SunXia
Warrior Princess
Warrior Princess

Location: Keeping Evils from this world at bay...with a smile!!

Unread postby Liu Yuante » Wed Oct 26, 2005 10:35 pm

Let me preface this opinion by stating that I haven't read any studies or looked at the figures so this is based solely on my subjective impressions of the subject.

That said, I don't think that greater education correlates all that strongly with fewer violent crimes. Drug addiction, alcoholism, mental illness, all of these things can be factors in one's tendencies to commit violent crimes and these things occur rather indiscriminately amongst people of all levels of education. Often times your more educated people have higherpaying jobs and are less likely to be robbing banks or committing random murders, but on the other hand they may kill their spouse for an insurance policy or murder a business rival. The type of violent crime can be different but I don't think that tendency to commit violent crime favors the poorly-educated over the well-educated.

Adrian
Liu Yuante
绯红王

Unread postby cao cao#1 » Wed Oct 26, 2005 10:59 pm

In the words of salvatore Charles ''lucky'' luciano,it takes as much smarts to make a crimminall million as it does to make a legal million.

it probaly depends on what kind of crime if its gangbanging for a block of run down houses and controll over 2 skanky 10 dollar whores then education might have something to do with it .

many big professionall criminalls are not dumb infact most are very smart you cant controll a crime empire keep a advanced money laundring system and traficking system in controll and keep your shell companies up to date if your a retard and badly educated .
klaas bruinsma went to college and was the son of a millionair still he turned to crime and was succesfull sure he got executed at age 37 but still.

I think education isnt a point in turning to organized crime ( not talking about serial killers and rapists and such) is the money the columbian cartel for example the police found 1 factory which generated 20 tones of coke a month 1 ton goes for roughly $1.2 billion you cant deny thats tempting.

as for violent crimes it has to do with mentality not education .

I am mildly schizoid which means I care about me and family and close friends thats it I dont care about other random people i could beat someone I dont know up and wont feel sorry or remorse I wont cause I dont want to go to jail and I have a reasonably high Iq 123 and a good education .

EDIT: allot of the above tex has no relation to the topic I thought it read just crime and later found out it was violent crime .
I never have a problem with taking a test. Its the 10 minutes before you enter the room that get to me you hear people talking about crap you have never heard about in your life.
cao cao#1
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby bodidley » Wed Oct 26, 2005 11:19 pm

Although many jobs requiring education pay well, some do not. I think it has more to do with the fact that education costs a lot of money. In order to have money, you at least need a job. Most violent crimes are not commited by the criminally insane but by rational people who have decided to profit by exploiting others. Poverty is the first step to violent crime. Being poor doesn't make people criminal, a culture of despair does. When people believe that they can't get an ordinary job, or that they can't do what they want to do in life with an ordinary job, or that crime is a glamorous and respectable lifestyle, then they will turn to crime. Another reason why violent crime tends to be commited by the most desperate people is that crimes which tend to become violent like mugging, burglary, and hold-ups are very dangerous and often offer little reward. People living in violent areas are also more often inclined to join violent gangs for their own protection.

Does education itself make people less inclined to commit crime? In as much as it can help people get better jobs yes, but then again that would be better jobs making people less inclined to commit crime. Comparing people who were youths between 1920-1945 and those who were youths between 1960-1980, I would say the massive increase in education clearly did not in itself stop crime. In the earlier generation half of young men did not have a high-school education, in the later one the great majority did, but having little education did not make half of the older generation criminal, and having a decent education did not eliminate crime in the younger generation. I think the big factor in reducing crime in the last 30 years in America has been great economic advances.

So, does being educated make someone less likely to commit crime? Yes and no! :lol:
bodidley
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Next

Return to Literature, Academics, and Philosophy