Religion: Old Thread, New Poll!

Discuss literature (e.g. books, newspapers), educational studies (getting help or opinions on homework or an essay), and philosophy.

What religion do you follow?

Baha'i
0
No votes
Buddhism
8
3%
Christianity
86
36%
Hinduism
1
0%
Islam
12
5%
Judaism
1
0%
Nature-based/Pagan/Shamanistic/Indigenous Religions
4
2%
Sikhism
3
1%
Taoism
12
5%
Unitarian Universalist
2
1%
I'm agnostic
41
17%
I'm atheist
48
20%
Other (please explain)
24
10%
 
Total votes : 242

Unread postby Anshi » Sat Jun 29, 2002 9:33 am

animetayl wrote:Everyone needs forgiveness because no one is perfect. I do believe that there are many so-called Christians who are corrupt (take a look at the Catholic church right now),


This is bordering on offensive. Avoid it in the future.
You will not offend the members of any sect or religion at this forum, I don't care what your personal beliefs on them are.
User avatar
Anshi
Refined Literati Emperor
 
Posts: 337
Joined: Fri Jun 14, 2002 10:22 pm
Location: Texas, United States

christianity

Unread postby Justin » Mon Jul 01, 2002 12:36 am

animetayl wrote:
Everyone needs forgiveness because no one is perfect. I do believe that there are many so-called Christians who are corrupt (take a look at the Catholic church right now),


Anshi wrote:
This is bordering on offensive. Avoid it in the future.
You will not offend the members of any sect or religion at this forum, I don't care what your personal beliefs on them are.
.


I'm sorry but there are corrupt people in <i>all</i> religions. You can't get around it. You have humanity and somewhere along the line you will have corruption. Animetayl isn't saying the entire church is corrupt only some people. And this is certainly true for any religion.
User avatar
Justin
Scholar of Shen Zhou
 
Posts: 3356
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2002 2:08 am
Location: Dropping it like it's hot

Unread postby James » Mon Jul 01, 2002 12:59 am

animetayl wrote:Everyone needs forgiveness because no one is perfect. ...

That is the belief of your faith, with is more than fine, just keep an eye on what you say. Telling some people of other faiths that they need forgiveness acceding to your own faith may upset them. No worries now though.

animetayl wrote:... I do believe that there are many so-called Christians who are corrupt (take a look at the Catholic church right now)...

Every religion, with absolutely no exception, has corrupt and self-serving members. I hesitate to point fingers to the bigger problem, because they are all this way. It is human nature.
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
User avatar
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish
 
Posts: 17949
Joined: Fri Jun 14, 2002 3:21 pm
Location: Happy Valley, UT

Unread postby Zhou Gongjin » Mon Jul 01, 2002 5:47 am

Zhuge Kongming wrote: It is human nature.


I don't agree. I will go along with the Confucian point of view that people have an innate goodness and kindness, but because of outside influences, this kindness is either pushed away or killed off slowly.
He who exercises government by means of his virtue may be compared to the north polar star, which keeps its place and all the stars turn towards it.
-孔夫子
User avatar
Zhou Gongjin
鋼のチビ
 
Posts: 3357
Joined: Fri Jun 14, 2002 3:49 pm
Location: the Doghouse

Unread postby Stefanos » Mon Jul 01, 2002 6:01 am

I once heard a story... Ill tell it to you.. Please, let me know if you have a problem with this. This is off the top of my head, so bear with me.

It was a normal Sunday morning. People gathered in the church for Sunday morning service. While the Pastor was giving his sermon, two men dressed in heavy trench coats wielding machine guns walked into the hall. They addressed the congregation, "Those not willing to die for their faith, leave this room immediately." Suddenly, people began to panic and fled from the room. After the commotion had subsided, only 5 or so people remained. The men in trench coats walked up to the front row, sat down, and said, "Please, continue."

This story describes people who are corrupt, or more commonly can be known as hipocrits.

Personally, I am a Born Again Christian. I consider my church to be a "Philadelphia Church" or one where we share Brotherly Love. I like to share my faith, and learn about other peoples faiths. Any questions or comments you might have about my "religeon" are welcome. :wink:
I told you I get paid for every letter.. like abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz
User avatar
Stefanos
我的甜孩子
 
Posts: 1004
Joined: Wed Jun 26, 2002 4:08 pm
Location: Dont get on the plane.

Unread postby James » Mon Jul 01, 2002 6:40 am

Zhou Gongjin wrote:I don't agree. I will go along with the Confucian point of view that people have an innate goodness and kindness, but because of outside influences, this kindness is either pushed away or killed off slowly.

Really? Wow, someone must have forgotten to tell everyone, because they seem to have the wrong idea. *sarcasm*
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
User avatar
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish
 
Posts: 17949
Joined: Fri Jun 14, 2002 3:21 pm
Location: Happy Valley, UT

Unread postby Han Xin » Mon Jul 01, 2002 7:15 am

Zhou Gongjin wrote:
I don't agree. I will go along with the Confucian point of view that people have an innate goodness and kindness, but because of outside influences, this kindness is either pushed away or killed off slowly.


I disagree. I believe that Human are essentially evil and needed a strong leader and proper guideline to enforce the bound so that they would conform to goodness. :lol:
User avatar
Han Xin
Shu Emperor
 
Posts: 1244
Joined: Sat Jun 15, 2002 1:20 am
Location: In the middle between Love and Lust. ^_^

Unread postby Mega Zarak » Mon Jul 01, 2002 7:32 am

Han Xin wrote:I disagree. I believe that Human are essentially evil and needed a strong leader and proper guideline to enforce the bound so that they would conform to goodness. :lol:


I disagree. Good and evil are defined by human beings. It's just our perceptions. Perhaps, it's our inate perceptions that we see pain as bad and people who make others suffer as evil. Perhaps, this is due to the fact that pain causes the nervous system to react negatively so that you would cry out or be left in tears. If pain causes us to laugh and feel good, evil may need to be redefined. :lol:
User avatar
Mega Zarak
Grand Tutor of Wei
 
Posts: 1113
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2002 2:38 am
Location: North of the River

Unread postby Stefanos » Mon Jul 01, 2002 4:38 pm

Great Deer wrote:I disagree. Good and evil are defined by human beings. It's just our perceptions. Perhaps, it's our inate perceptions that we see pain as bad and people who make others suffer as evil. Perhaps, this is due to the fact that pain causes the nervous system to react negatively so that you would cry out or be left in tears. If pain causes us to laugh and feel good, evil may need to be redefined. :lol:


Good and Evil are like emotions, they are learned. We've all seen movies with robots ect that are emotionless, they learn emotions from people. I could go into a major discussion on how corruption was formed, but it is based off my religeon. If you want to hear it, Ill tell you, but only upon request.
I told you I get paid for every letter.. like abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz
User avatar
Stefanos
我的甜孩子
 
Posts: 1004
Joined: Wed Jun 26, 2002 4:08 pm
Location: Dont get on the plane.

Unread postby Zhou Gongjin » Mon Jul 01, 2002 9:46 pm

Zhuge Kongming wrote:Really? Wow, someone must have forgotten to tell everyone, because they seem to have the wrong idea. *sarcasm*


As far as I can tell, people aren't born evil. And I don't like your sarcasm much.
He who exercises government by means of his virtue may be compared to the north polar star, which keeps its place and all the stars turn towards it.
-孔夫子
User avatar
Zhou Gongjin
鋼のチビ
 
Posts: 3357
Joined: Fri Jun 14, 2002 3:49 pm
Location: the Doghouse

PreviousNext

Return to Literature, Academics, and Philosophy

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Copyright © 2002–2008 Kongming’s Archives. All Rights Reserved