Religion: Old Thread, New Poll!

Discuss literature (e.g. books, newspapers), educational studies (getting help or opinions on homework or an essay), and philosophy.

What religion do you follow?

Baha'i
No votes
Buddhism
3%
Christianity
36%
Hinduism
0%
Islam
5%
Judaism
0%
Nature-based/Pagan/Shamanistic/Indigenous Religions
2%
Sikhism
1%
Taoism
5%
Unitarian Universalist
1%
I'm agnostic
17%
I'm atheist
20%
Other (please explain)
10%

Total votes : 242

Unread postby Zhao Yun » Mon Jun 24, 2002 2:29 am

Dragon_Girl wrote:There is that in the Qur'an, I forgot where though, they're all written in Arabic. You can have up to 4 wives, and Mohammed had like 10 children or something.

Every religion must have its flaw. And since the holy books have been around since BC era, we don't really know if people had changed the contents or not

Things of that nature do happen in religion. Some line that mentions something once, maybe twice, in an ancient manuscript is interpreted as the will of God and all of a sudden it's somehow okay to beat your wife. I don't get it either. Just in case you haven't investigated the Christian Bible (not I advocate doing it or not doing it) there are plenty of passages where it pretty mush says the man is the master of the household and his word should be obeyed by his women. (Yes, there were plural marriages in the Bible too)

The term I like in these instances comes from my father actually, I'm sure he heard it somewhere else, but this is where I heard it. According to the proper way to do things, a man in that situation has Righteous Dominion (this is not my view btw, I am just explaining). When a man warps this Dominion to his own desires rather than what God or Allah or Buddha, et al, intended it for he is exercising Unrighteous Dominion, and therefore sinning. i.e.-Using the Word of God to further something that is not Holy or Right.

Furthermore, I like many of our fellows here realize that Osama bin Laden and the others that think like him are in the minority in Islam, historically Islam is a much more enlightened culture and religion than most Eurocentric examples. The third world countries we see in ther middle east today are a fairly recent development, not too long ago they were the center of civilization.

Anyhow, I a digressing, just suffice it to say Dragon_Girl and any other followers of Islam out there, I don't blame you for Osama's wrongheadedness any more than I blame Canada for Celine Dion.

That is all.
"To ensure Peace, one must prepare for War." - paraphrased from hundreds of wise generals throughout the entire history of our little blue rock.
Zhao Yun
Initiate

Unread postby Maria » Mon Jun 24, 2002 4:24 am

Thanks for sharing your view. :)

When we think back to the ancient times, you got something that could be called..... War of religions. Like the Crusaders and the Ottomans. This was probably what separated the views on which religion is inferior and which one is superior.

Osama is just one twisted guy. He's using Allah's words to the benefit of his own purposes. He has this huge squad of sicude bomber. I know in Islam, when you commit suicide for no reason, you'll go to hell. They gladly end their lives because they believe in Osama's words, not the real teaching.

I think that kinda gives the idea that people biggest faith is on themselves. The believe in their thinking. Religions are merely a base to widen your view of humanity and the universe.
Maria
Iron Duchess

Unread postby Zhao Yun » Mon Jun 24, 2002 8:24 am

I just realized, if I am anything, I am Discordian. So I highly recommend you all go out and get yourselves a copy of the 'Principia Discordia'.

All hail Eris!
All hail Discordia!
Curses on Greyface and his progeny!
Fnord!
(I stole all your golden apples)
"To ensure Peace, one must prepare for War." - paraphrased from hundreds of wise generals throughout the entire history of our little blue rock.
Zhao Yun
Initiate

Unread postby Seres » Wed Jun 26, 2002 2:53 am

Zhuge Kongming wrote:Faith in yourself valuable and even vital. Faith in humanity is a disaster waiting to happen.

Hehe, a brilliant insight. Did you make this yourself? If so, would you mind if I quoted you on that :lol:
"Military action is important to the nation--it is the ground of death and life, the path of survival and destruction, so it is imperative to examine it." -Sun Tzu, the Art of War
Seres
Tyro

Unread postby Sun Ce » Wed Jun 26, 2002 3:21 am

I have never been able to take religion seriously for some reason. Mainly christianity, because I can't put my faith and worship whos ever creation will one day fail.
I think that song is the highest achievement of the living culture, don't you agree?
Sun Ce
Master

Unread postby Lu Bu » Wed Jun 26, 2002 5:55 am

If I'm anything I would be a Darwinist. Things fade and die, only the strongest survives. However, if I am to have faith in anything I would be a Buddist. Having faith only in yourself is all good, but that depends on the degree you take that to. Hey man, if you don't trust anyone, then you gonna be working your butt off for the rest of your life. I believe a society should live in peace and harmony, and you know what? For the interruptors, I say slaughter them all, no stinking human rights for them. <Mod edit> while you're at it. Hmm... yeah, that's what you get when you mix a darwinist with a buddist.

Moderator-consider that comment a warning.
Lu Bu
Apprentice

Unread postby Sun Ce » Wed Jun 26, 2002 6:29 am

Being a buddhist is quite the task. does anyone here come from a tradional buddhist family?
I think that song is the highest achievement of the living culture, don't you agree?
Sun Ce
Master

Unread postby Maria » Wed Jun 26, 2002 9:35 am

My grandpa, grandma & their sibling/relatives from my mum's side are all Buddhist. I was thought in that teachings too, by my grandpa.

I lived in a huge family with a lot of religions (Islam, Buddhist, Taoist, Christian, catholic, Atheist, and many more) So I kinda got a little bit of this and a little bit of that :)
Maria
Iron Duchess

Unread postby James » Fri Jun 28, 2002 9:24 pm

Seres wrote:
Zhuge Kongming wrote:Faith in yourself valuable and even vital. Faith in humanity is a disaster waiting to happen.

Hehe, a brilliant insight. Did you make this yourself? If so, would you mind if I quoted you on that :lol:

Yeah, it is something I keep in mind at all times. Feel free to use it, if you attribute it use James Peirce instead of Zhuge Kongming (you probably don't want people asking you when Kongming said that).
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby animetayl » Sat Jun 29, 2002 3:02 am

I am a Christian (*note, not Catholic). I believe that Jesus is the Son of God, and that He saved us from our sins. In the Bible, Jesus said, "I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life. No one comes to the Father, except through Me." Therefore, I also believe that any religious person that does not believe in Jesus, and doesn't repent and is baptized for the forgiveness of their sins will not go to Heaven.
Everyone needs forgiveness because no one is perfect. I do believe that there are many so-called Christians who are corrupt (take a look at the Catholic church right now), but not everyone is. I also believe that you do not have to earn your way to Heaven. It is the grace of God that saves you.
animetayl
Sky Bandit

PreviousNext

Return to Literature, Academics, and Philosophy