Religion: Old Thread, New Poll!

Discuss literature (e.g. books, newspapers), educational studies (getting help or opinions on homework or an essay), and philosophy.

What religion do you follow?

Baha'i
No votes
Buddhism
3%
Christianity
36%
Hinduism
0%
Islam
5%
Judaism
0%
Nature-based/Pagan/Shamanistic/Indigenous Religions
2%
Sikhism
1%
Taoism
5%
Unitarian Universalist
1%
I'm agnostic
17%
I'm atheist
20%
Other (please explain)
10%

Total votes : 242

Unread postby James » Thu Jun 20, 2002 4:53 pm

Seres wrote:However, I do not follow any organized religions for several reasons. Organized religions tend to be an almost political power today. I also dislike how many religions (Christianity, for example) try so hard to press their views on you. If you were going to join a religion, it should be because you feel it is the right thing to do, not because some person in a business suit comes to your door (ok, so that isn't Christianity, but im speaking generally) asking you if you want to become a member of whatever religion they are pushing.

For many religions it has become a business, but that is normal when any group of collective people form a strong organization. Even if others corrupt the views of a specific religion and turn it into a profit enterprise, a follower can still practice their faith in private.

As for Christianity and your concerns above, many sects have indeed turned to threats of hellfire and damnation to turn in members, but other sects are still devout in faith to the proper views. Anything run by humans is bound to face corruption, to say otherwise is ignorance, but there is never anything that can stop a follower from practicing their faith the way they feel it should be.
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Seres » Sat Jun 22, 2002 3:02 am

I've been quoted for the first time on this board...that makes me feel all warm inside.

But anyway, you are absolutely correct Zhuge Kongming. I guess I had one of my rare momentary spurs of faith in humanity. :roll:
"Military action is important to the nation--it is the ground of death and life, the path of survival and destruction, so it is imperative to examine it." -Sun Tzu, the Art of War
Seres
Tyro

Unread postby Zhao Yun » Sat Jun 22, 2002 4:44 am

I personally was raised LDS, am currently not practicing. Just didn't know why I should continue when all I felt in my chosen House of Worship was hollowness.

Btw- for those who don't know LDS = Latter Day Saints aka Mormons
"To ensure Peace, one must prepare for War." - paraphrased from hundreds of wise generals throughout the entire history of our little blue rock.
Zhao Yun
Initiate

Unread postby Maria » Sat Jun 22, 2002 7:02 am

I'm a moslem.... don't bash me because of that Osama thingy though, he has taken God's will power to a stupid extense. I'm a Chinese moslem/Islam. However, I do have this doubts about some of the teachings, like wives should bow down to their husband, and the husbands could "punish" their wives... that's just...wrong!
Maria
Iron Duchess

Unread postby Zhou Gongjin » Sat Jun 22, 2002 11:30 pm

Dragon_Girl wrote:I'm a moslem.... don't bash me because of that Osama thingy though, he has taken God's will power to a stupid extense. I'm a Chinese moslem/Islam. However, I do have this doubts about some of the teachings, like wives should bow down to their husband, and the husbands could "punish" their wives... that's just...wrong!

The islamic community here inspires violence against women, I don't recall reading in the Qo'ran about that. Like with all religions, certain things are twisted and abused.
He who exercises government by means of his virtue may be compared to the north polar star, which keeps its place and all the stars turn towards it.
-孔夫子
Zhou Gongjin
鋼のチビ

Unread postby James » Sun Jun 23, 2002 4:08 am

Seres wrote:But anyway, you are absolutely correct Zhuge Kongming. I guess I had one of my rare momentary spurs of faith in humanity. :roll:

Faith in yourself valuable and even vital. Faith in humanity is a disaster waiting to happen.

Dragon_Girl wrote:I'm a moslem.... don't bash me because of that Osama thingy though, he has taken God's will power to a stupid extense. I'm a Chinese moslem/Islam. However, I do have this doubts about some of the teachings, like wives should bow down to their husband, and the husbands could "punish" their wives... that's just...wrong!

My sincere respect to you; I admire your strength and your willingness to be something more than a sheep in the flock.
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Maria » Sun Jun 23, 2002 7:47 am

Zhou Gongjin wrote:The islamic community here inspires violence against women, I don't recall reading in the Qo'ran about that. Like with all religions, certain things are twisted and abused.

There is that in the Qur'an, I forgot where though, they're all written in Arabic. You can have up to 4 wives, and Mohammed had like 10 children or something.

Every religion must have its flaw. And since the holy books have been around since BC era, we don't really know if people had changed the contents or not
Maria
Iron Duchess

Unread postby Lu Xun » Sun Jun 23, 2002 12:36 pm

I don't know what to pick on there...I consider myself to be Agnostic. Which basically means I do not know if there is a higher power or not. I'm not atheist, nor am a theist. I have studied several religions and have adapted some of the believes. I, however, have would be considered loose morals and religion doesn't seem to be my thing. My faith rests in humanity itself and its potential for good. Some may say I'm blinded by my faith and love for people, but I belive I am strengthed by it. I know it can be used against me in many situations, so I have learn to be leary and cautious, yet the faith is there. So, to sum it up...I put my faith in humanity.
性高潮枪
"Cheap sandal-maker! Do you always send your little bastard to the field?
If I call my little yellowbeard Cao Zhang over, he'll make meatballs of him!"
- Mengde
Lu Xun
Crown Prince of Shen Zhou

Location: Drinking wine, writing poems, and spending time with my concubines

Christian

Unread postby Justin » Sun Jun 23, 2002 5:40 pm

I voted for chrisianity because I was raised in the majority Utah based religion. However I haven't been practicing for many years. I do believe in God/Higher Power but I haven't decided if any formal religion really has all the answers. Religion tends to be like anything else its perfect until imperfect human beings screw things up.
Justin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Re: Christian

Unread postby Zhou Gongjin » Sun Jun 23, 2002 5:48 pm

Wan Hung Lo wrote: Religion tends to be like anything else its perfect until imperfect human beings screw things up.

I'll drink to that. :wink:
He who exercises government by means of his virtue may be compared to the north polar star, which keeps its place and all the stars turn towards it.
-孔夫子
Zhou Gongjin
鋼のチビ

PreviousNext

Return to Literature, Academics, and Philosophy