Religion: Old Thread, New Poll!

Discuss literature (e.g. books, newspapers), educational studies (getting help or opinions on homework or an essay), and philosophy.

What religion do you follow?

Baha'i
No votes
Buddhism
3%
Christianity
36%
Hinduism
0%
Islam
5%
Judaism
0%
Nature-based/Pagan/Shamanistic/Indigenous Religions
2%
Sikhism
1%
Taoism
5%
Unitarian Universalist
1%
I'm agnostic
17%
I'm atheist
20%
Other (please explain)
10%

Total votes : 242

Unread postby James » Wed Jun 19, 2002 12:55 am

Regeta wrote:I'm trying not to insult any religions and I don't think I did since I said I respect them all and don't think any are stupid. I'm trying to say stuff without people THINKING that I'm breaking the rules when I'm not.

"... alot of Christian beliefs are... <edit>."
This is not acceptable Regeta, I leave everything else up to the mods for this forum. Just because you are Christian does not mean you can comment like this about the other Christians.
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Regeta » Wed Jun 19, 2002 1:14 am

I believe alot of people's beliefs on who goes to hell are sortof weird and unthinkable. (Is that better?)

Religion is way too much of a touchy subject. It is banned to talk about it on SOC because of obvious reasons.

I tried not to insult anyone but it is really hard because this is such a touchy subject.
Regeta
Tyro

Unread postby Chen Zhen » Wed Jun 19, 2002 2:43 am

i'm catholic but..
i'm more interested in buddhism or any chinese beliefs...
any suggestion?
Chen Zhen
Student

Unread postby James » Wed Jun 19, 2002 3:53 am

Regeta wrote:I tried not to insult anyone but it is really hard because this is such a touchy subject.

If you have trouble discussing it then I suggest you leave it completely alone. Religion can very enlightening to discuss, but it can lead to serious differences of opinion. Rather than deny the SoSZ members the ability to talk about it I feel we can try to closely watch the topics that deal with it.

sampoel wrote:i'm catholic but..
i'm more interested in buddhism or any chinese beliefs...
any suggestion?

Study, study, study. Get to know members too.
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Pappy O'daniels » Wed Jun 19, 2002 5:42 am

Chaaaaaaa nothin' 'bout the Nords, so other. *Slams a pointed hammer into some random puke's head, then takes his wallet and his ear* Hooweee, that'll leave a mark. Just felt like dropping that in here right quick.
Pappy O'daniels
Initiate

Unread postby Zhou Gongjin » Wed Jun 19, 2002 6:49 am

I suggest members who can't deal with touchy subjects don't post here.
He who exercises government by means of his virtue may be compared to the north polar star, which keeps its place and all the stars turn towards it.
-孔夫子
Zhou Gongjin
鋼のチビ

Unread postby Regeta » Wed Jun 19, 2002 7:09 pm

For the 2nd time, what is a DAOIST?

I can deal with touchy subjects, it is the mods who usually can't :wink:
Regeta
Tyro

Unread postby Anshi » Wed Jun 19, 2002 10:07 pm

Regeta wrote:For the 2nd time, what is a DAOIST?

I can deal with touchy subjects, it is the mods who usually can't :wink:

Daoist=Taoist, but Taoist is the wrong way to say. Daoist is the right way to say it.

If I couldn't deal with touchy subjects I wouldn't have been made a mod here :lily:
Anshi
Refined Literati Emperor

Unread postby Han Xin » Thu Jun 20, 2002 10:49 am

Regeta wrote:
Heaven - I follow how the bible says what you have to do to get in.

Hell- Where all the evil people go like Hitler or murderers that arn't sorry for what they did, greedy rich people who just are evil, and satanic worshipers, etc. Also people CAN get out of hell. Hell is not eternal for everyone. Some people it will be because they are too evil to get out, but some people get out.

Cities outside of Heaven or "The other Place"- This is where people who can't get into heaven, and arn't evil so they don't belong in hell go.

Example: I believe if a true Buddist monk person that are super nice and try not to even harm a blade a grass or a bug, those people don't goto hell. Why should they? They arn't evil and they never sinned as much as most people do. The only thing they did was not believe in god. I think they would goto theother place to learn about god, then if they accept god as their god they can enter heaven. If they don't they can just stay in the outside of what not.

Lets see, after the fall of Saigon in 1975, the communist divided the south Vietnamese population in 3 group. The first one, the one that is really mean to US for 21 years of wars was given a bullet and was sent straight to hell. The second one are the one that ain't really pissed US that much but don't believe in whatever WE believe in were send to a labour (concentration camp) so they could better understand about US. When the second group understand US and believe in US then these people could be set free from the labour camp...

See any similarity.... :lol:
Han Xin
Shu Emperor

Unread postby Seres » Thu Jun 20, 2002 4:40 pm

Hmmm...I suppose I don't follow any type of religion. Mostly, I believe a collection of my own views, but are sure of none. In fact, I actually take pride in my lack of religious devotion in the typical sense.

However, I do not follow any organized religions for several reasons. Organized religions tend to be an almost political power today. I also dislike how many religions (Christianity, for example) try so hard to press their views on you. If you were going to join a religion, it should be because you feel it is the right thing to do, not because some person in a business suit comes to your door (ok, so that isn't Christianity, but im speaking generally) asking you if you want to become a member of whatever religion they are pushing.

The only religions in the world today I like, in any sense, are some of the Asian religions, such as Buddhism and Confucianism (SP?).
"Military action is important to the nation--it is the ground of death and life, the path of survival and destruction, so it is imperative to examine it." -Sun Tzu, the Art of War
Seres
Tyro

PreviousNext

Return to Literature, Academics, and Philosophy