The Japanese Language

Discuss literature (e.g. books, newspapers), educational studies (getting help or opinions on homework or an essay), and philosophy.

Unread postby Starscream » Thu Aug 29, 2002 12:19 pm

Zhou Gongjin wrote:IMO, game Japanese is simple, but musical Japanese is harder than anything I have had in language classes.
*pokes at Cai Yan*
"kokoro no mannaka o pare-do ga yokogiru
kakato o uchinarashite kimi ga kuru
oboetate no merodi karappo no hiroba ni
barairo no akari o tomoshite sugiru"
:lol:

:( :arrow: :cry: :arrow: :wahh: :arrow: :gsad:

I will work harder on that, dun worry!!! :twisted:
”太慢了。“
Starscream
Decepticon Air Commander

Unread postby animetayl » Wed Sep 11, 2002 3:47 am

Next month, I'm beginning Japanese classes at the University. Wish me luck! :P I can't wait, I can't wait! Please come soooon, October!!!
animetayl
Sky Bandit

Unread postby Starscream » Wed Sep 11, 2002 4:08 am

All the best Animetayl, if u need any help, I will lend u my pathetic little hand.... :lol:
”太慢了。“
Starscream
Decepticon Air Commander

Unread postby animetayl » Wed Sep 11, 2002 9:47 am

Oh, wonderful! Thank you so much for offering! Be warned, I will take advantage of the fact that you offered! :wink:
Just joking. But thanks!
animetayl
Sky Bandit

Unread postby Shi Jing Xu » Wed Sep 11, 2002 11:53 pm

I would love to help out as well! :)
"As if you could kill time without injuring eternity." ~ Henry David Thoreau
Shi Jing Xu
Hermione G

Unread postby Guest » Thu Sep 12, 2002 4:01 am

Thank you, all you kind and wonderful people! It's nice to have you as a resource for learning! :P

Unread postby animetayl » Thu Sep 12, 2002 4:02 am

Ha ha ha! That was me! Growl! Stupid computer... :roll:
animetayl
Sky Bandit

Unread postby Kristina » Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:50 pm

I've been trying to learn, but without much luck. There's no one around here to practice with!

All i know is some basic romaji. . .Counting, phrases, the like. I found a really good website for people who'd like to teach themselves though, and it's free!

http://www.japanese-online.com
Kristina
Certified Zombie Killer Harlequin
Certified Zombie Killer Harlequin

Unread postby FuguNabe » Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:21 pm

secrecy wrote:I've been trying to learn, but without much luck. There's no one around here to practice with!

All i know is some basic romaji. . .Counting, phrases, the like. I found a really good website for people who'd like to teach themselves though, and it's free!

http://www.japanese-online.com

The technique is to get used to firstly the kanas then learn the 2000 or so commonly used kanji. Knowing common phrases is good but will only allow you to respond to very general things. While learning the language try reading an untranslated manga. If you can finish one you're doing well and on your way. After that try moving on to reading casual novels.

I recommend visiting the country and stay there for a month or more (I suggest staying in the kansai region city like Osaka, Kyoto or Kobe). Get used to reading signs, menus, and speak to the locals (in Nihongo that is). It's a great help to immerse yourself in a surrounding with people that speak the language. Make friends with Japanese in your own area and occasionally chill out for chance to practise what you've learnt.
Cynicism in my lyricism? Life has been series of questions and sessions of lessons to enhance my essence...

Knowledge is god as despite my iaido skills my pen is is mightier than my sword...

With a tongue to match my wit your mental death swift...
FuguNabe
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Location: You'd find me at some karaoke drinking and singing with ladies on the weekend

Unread postby Lady Wu » Fri Apr 06, 2007 5:18 am

OR! Play Dynasty Warriors exclusively in Japanese!

That's the source of what little Japanese I know, anyway... useful, day-to-day phrases such as "I'm coming for the enemy general's head!", "Enemy officer defeated", "An ambush?!?!?!", "You will not take over our well-defended depot!", "What a retarded plan!", etc.

You also learn the range of politeness (by far the hardest part about Japanese, IMHO)---Zhen Ji and Diao Chan use the super-polite, super-feminine forms, while the likes of Gan Ning and Lu Bu contract their verbs like mad, and throw in the occasional expletive as well.

----

Joking. I actually agree with FuguNabe---Romaji is fine, but the sooner you learn kana, the better. It's pretty painful, but for one thing, if you know your katakana, you can figure out all the English transliterations (of which there are many), as well as the sound effects in manga.
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu
There's no better state than Wu
There's no better state than Wu

PreviousNext

Return to Literature, Academics, and Philosophy