SoSZ Member Libraries

Discuss literature (e.g. books, newspapers), educational studies (getting help or opinions on homework or an essay), and philosophy.

Re: SoSZ Member Libraries

Unread postby DaoLunOfShiji » Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:42 pm

Sun Fin wrote:That's cool! I've not come across the Zhong Hui source before, is it a book, a chapter of a book, a jornal entry or something else?

It's a paper I got from JSTOR, you can read it for free online or pay to download it. https://www.jstor.org/stable/23354231?s ... b_contents

Sun Fin wrote:I've added some more pdfs to my library - RDC's books that his published online and the Talons thesis I shared a few months ago!

Oh I recall you posting about that and never got around to asking about it. Would you say its worth the read?
"I take Heaven and Earth to be my dwelling, and my rooms are my coat and pants; so what are you gentlemen doing in my pants?"
Check out my library here for a list of Chinese history resources I have on hand!
DaoLunOfShiji
Master

Unread postby Sun Fin » Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:57 pm

Some day I will pay for a jstor account. Might not be for a while yet though :lol:.

It depends what you're interested in! The general consensus on here was that the individual biographies weren't anything new or original for us. However the 2nd and 3rd chapter about military history (covering topics like the military market) was full of information I'd never seen before! I certainly think it's worth reading!
Have a question about a book or academic article before you buy it? Maybe I have it!
Check out my library here for a list of Chinese history resources I have on hand!
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby DaoLunOfShiji » Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:59 pm

You can actually make an account there without paying! You have the option to read things online, or purchase and download the pdf when you make an account. You get 6 free online views per... week? I think.

I think something like the portion on military history could be of a lot of use to me! I'll probably have to look into that one then.
"I take Heaven and Earth to be my dwelling, and my rooms are my coat and pants; so what are you gentlemen doing in my pants?"
DaoLunOfShiji
Master

Unread postby Tarrot » Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:12 pm

FYI: About 10 years ago or so when I was in China and had very limited internet and a lot of time, I hand-converted Rafe's Encyclopedia into a PDF file for easier searching for SimRTK stuff. Dong and I have copies of the pdf, and James has the pdf on site, although we agreed to only give links to the pdf if you actually bought the book. IIRC, I bought the book back when it was around $400 and its a great tool for summerization of up to 220 AD, as well as learning about the corruption that lead up to the rise of the Yellow Turbans (of note, I'm not sure how much, but Dong's writeup of Huangfu Song covers much of what Rafe wrote about him in the book, and there are other notable late-Han ministers and generals who get covered). If anyone can afford the money for the Encyclopedia, I'll link you the PDF which has everything but the maps IIRC.
Tarrot
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Previous

Return to Literature, Academics, and Philosophy