The Analects

Discuss literature (e.g. books, newspapers), educational studies (getting help or opinions on homework or an essay), and philosophy.

Re: The Analects

Unread postby Sun Fin » Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:10 pm

I've now read and made notes on the first 6 Books.

Somethings that stand out:

1) I'd never heard Heaven referred to as Tian before. The commentary suggests it was a phrase more prevaliant in the Zhou dynasty. Was Heaven still referred to in this way commonly by the Han Dynasty?

2) This is probably running before I can walk but there are a lot of references in the commentary to different schools of thoughts. It seems one needs a basic understanding of these to understand the nuances of the text. Would anyone mind giving me a basic guide to that or link me to a site that gives a good instruction. Also for bonus points what schools were popular in the Han Dynasty and in what regions?

3) Being a good ruler meant living righteously and then Confucius believed, others would emulate you.

4) Lots of it chimes with Christianity in my opinion. Especially 4.6, 5.11 and 5.27 (5.12 goes without saying :lol: )
“I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.” ― Nelson Mandela
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Re: The Analects

Unread postby laojim » Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:59 pm

The writings of Confucius are peppered with reference to the great teacher fussing around about how his mat is oriented and oblique references to doing the right things, without ever really saying what that might be. That would, of course, have been clear to a contemporary, but that is one of the reasons that Confucius has been long regarded as a conservative thinker and Confucianism as an ultra conservative philosophy. In that light it is interesting to note that the recent movie about Confucius shows him as a progressive and innovative fellow in harmony with the common people. In other words it is intended to rehabilitate Confucius. The first part of his progressive thinking is shown in his well recorded opposition to human sacrifice, a practice which was common at the time in the form of burying important people with their servants and retainers. This progressive attitude is laudable, but hardly makes him an avant garde reformer.
laojim
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Previous

Return to Literature, Academics, and Philosophy