NaNoWriMo

Discuss literature (e.g. books, newspapers), educational studies (getting help or opinions on homework or an essay), and philosophy.

Unread postby Jeremy » Thu Nov 02, 2006 12:28 am

I might try, even though it already started, because of a few reasons. If I pass the 25-30,000 word mark I get massive extra credit for L.A., and if I pass the 50,000 word makr I get auto-A this semester. Also, it would help my writing abilities. Although, the only thing stopping me from starting is knowing what to write about >.> I'll just have to think about it.

Started, 1423 words in ~1.75 hours, hopefully I can keep up this pace for school days.
Jeremy
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Rhiannon » Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:29 pm

The best thing is to just get an vague idea in your head, and write whatever comes to it.

People often times lose sight of the fact that NaNoNovels aren't supposed to be GOOD during NaNo. They're like the roughest of rough drafts. They have all sorts of errors that need to be corrected. They have loops that don't make sense. That's the way any good novel is written - you get everything on the page, and then you edit and tweak and revise until it looks nice.

If you ever get confuzzled, dare threads are always great. So are adopt a plots. Hehe.
"For us to have self-esteem is truly an act of revolution and our revolution is long overdue."
— Margaret Cho
Rhiannon
Joy & Oblivion
Joy & Oblivion

Re: NaNoWriMo

Unread postby WeiWenDi » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:04 pm

Sorry about the thread necromancy, but...

Anyone else doing NaNo this year? This will be my first year taking a stab at it despite having worked for years on various novel projects without any success. And, to be frank, I could use the encouragement / criticism / feedback.

I may end up creating a blog for my work as I get done with each chapter. I'm well into Chap 5 now, at around 14,800 words.

- WWD
Some more blood, Chekov. The needle won't hurt, Chekov. Take off your shirt, Chekov. Roll over, Chekov. Breathe deeply, Chekov. Blood sample, Chekov! Marrow sample, Chekov! Skin sample, Chekov! If I live long enough... I'm going to run out of samples.
WeiWenDi
Hedgehog Emperor

Unread postby Sun Fin » Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:16 am

Nice WWD! You're averaging about 2000 a day! That's ahead of schedule! :D

I've never actually taken part, although it's something I've thought about a few times! I've got in to a reasonable flow with my 3K novel, albeit a lot slower than NaNoWriMo, and I don't want to disrupt that. Happy to be part of your fan club though buddy!
“I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.” ― Nelson Mandela
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Sun Fin » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:57 am

How's it going WWD?
“I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.” ― Nelson Mandela
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby WeiWenDi » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:06 am

Sun Fin wrote:How's it going WWD?

Cheers, Sun Fin!

Still keeping my head above water. I'm up to 26,500 words, which still puts me on track to finish before the end of November, but I'm noticeably falling short of that 2,000 word-a-day mark that I was keeping up before.

I've also got a working title, The Brotherhood of the White Tiger / 《白虎结义》, which seems to be fairly fitting for a wuxia novel.

And, like I said on Facebook, I'm looking at a full-blown love triangle which even I don't know how it's going to resolve. Most of my secondary characters are more fun to write than my main character, though, which I don't know if that's a good thing or not.
Some more blood, Chekov. The needle won't hurt, Chekov. Take off your shirt, Chekov. Roll over, Chekov. Breathe deeply, Chekov. Blood sample, Chekov! Marrow sample, Chekov! Skin sample, Chekov! If I live long enough... I'm going to run out of samples.
WeiWenDi
Hedgehog Emperor

Unread postby Sun Fin » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:50 pm

I'm impressed! Good job WWD! As you say, definitely on track to finish! How are you finding it? Enjoyable, stressful or something else entirely?
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby WeiWenDi » Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:35 pm

Finished NaNo with 50,098 words. Whew.

Thanks largely to a last-minute sprint which coincided in my novel with two fight scenes on the slopes of Mount Kongtong, which my protagonists nearly lost and had to be saved by a not-quite deus ex machina.

Brotherhood of the White Tiger is nowhere even close to done, though. I feel like I'm only halfway through.

The actual eponymous 'Brotherhood' has been only half-formed. The central premise of the plot - the secret of the Jade Tiger Manual and my protagonist Bian Bai's promise to his grandmother - hasn't been resolved. Mount Kongtong is still under siege by warrior-monks from Tibet. Bian Bai's love-affair with the Tangut noblewoman Li Jiangyang is still up-in-the-air, as is his love-hate relationship with the wandering Ha Mei.

And I've got a LOT of work to do in revision next month.

But hey - I got 50,000 words written in 30 days. Progress!
WeiWenDi
Hedgehog Emperor

Unread postby Sun Fin » Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:02 pm

Good job WWD! That sounds amazing! Looking forward to you finishing it! Are you gonna try and do the second half in January? :P
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby WeiWenDi » Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:11 am

Sun Fin wrote:Good job WWD! That sounds amazing! Looking forward to you finishing it! Are you gonna try and do the second half in January? :P

Quite possibly, Sun Fin! Quite possibly. For now, though, I'm taking a bit of a break. :P
WeiWenDi
Hedgehog Emperor

Previous

Return to Literature, Academics, and Philosophy