Do you believe in God?

Discuss literature (e.g. books, newspapers), educational studies (getting help or opinions on homework or an essay), and philosophy.

Do you believe in God?

Yes
49%
No
35%
Other
16%

Total votes : 492

Re: Do you believe in God?

Unread postby Aygor » Tue Dec 24, 2013 4:18 pm

Just thought I'd drop some food for thought.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjdWC5s4nb8
分久必合,合久必分
Ἀτύφως μὲν λαβεῖν, εὐλύτως δὲ ἀφεῖναι
Aygor
Langzhong

Unread postby greencactaur » Mon May 30, 2016 11:32 pm

I chose no, but I also think that there's a possibility he exists, BUT I also think he's nothing like how us humans perceive it. I think that someone made humans, and I don't think that person is as powerful as we think it is, and if anything is most likely dead, but hey that's just me :D. IF you believe in god, all the more power to you :D
greencactaur
Academic

Unread postby Kayzr » Wed Jun 22, 2016 5:29 pm

The belief in a single supreme god or gods has been universal across time and space- the denial of such is a particularly modern phenomenon.
Let us begin with Zeus, whom we mortals never leave unspoken.
For every street, every market-place is full of Zeus.
Even the sea and the harbour are full of this deity.
Everywhere everyone is indebted to Zeus.
For we are indeed his offspring.
Kayzr
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby DragonAtma » Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:06 am

Kayzr wrote:The belief in a single supreme god or gods has been universal across time and space- the denial of such is a particularly modern phenomenon.

Theodoros the Atheist (340-250 BC) disagrees.
Unless I specifically say otherwise, assume I am talking about historical Three Kingdoms, and not the novel.
DragonAtma
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby PeanutButterToast » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:21 am

I chose No. I don't believe in a single god, or god as some creator authority figure. Is there a possibility of something like the Tao? Eh, maybe. I don't know. But as for an omnipotent being that watches everything we do, and the stories of certain holy books, no. I don't believe such a being exists.
PeanutButterToast
Apprentice

Unread postby SunXia » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:25 am

Someone said this to e recently and I found it rather arrogant:

SunXia, God does not look to be glorified, He deserves to be, and as the creation He made, we want to reflect His Holyness, not in a religious way but in having a relationship with Him. God is going to reveal Himself to you in a way no one else can, because religion has just tried to destroy you, but God wants to build you up. God bless!

Sorry I strongly dislike it when someone speaks to me in a pandering manner that they assume why i don't believe in God as if Religion (in this case Roman Catholicism) spurned me in some way and made me like "Religion is bad thus God is Bad and thus I will deny his existence."

I have heard of these personal epiphanies and actually thought I had them myself at stages in my life. And looking back it was usually at a time when I sought comfort or sought reassurance over certain things. Rather than "feeling God" as I thought I did or was told I did by Priests and other religious fanatics, the real feelings I was having were more related to my own insecurities and things I was forced to keep hidden so it was an emotional and mental relief to confide in someone. I get similar feelings when I speak to my doctors about different symptoms and the relief is so much greater now as I am more secure in who i am.

I am very grateful for everything I have and love in my life (contrary to the notion that atheists don't have a moral code) but I am just more sure to whom and what events I am grateful for. My mum and dads decision to have a child at that time. Both of them ensuring I had a healthy life, even if we strongly disagree spiritually I love them deeply and can reflect they did the best that they knew to do based on what they were told and taught.

A major disagreement my parents have with me right now is the children in my family greatly look up to me and they get annoyed that I refuse to reinforce the christian beliefs that are being taught to them. But they forget the main reason the children look up to me is that I will always be honest with them and answer their questions. Granted, I do tell the children that belief is personal for every person to decide but I refuse to pretend that I believe in a creator "because someone said so".

Sorry but God will never reveal himself to me. The only way I would ever accept that was undeniable physical proof that other people were seeing and not just me. If that happens, cool but I think we all know it won't. Otherwise he would have done it by now.
If becoming enlightened or an intellectual means I must become arrogant and coldly cynical about the world around me then I'd gladly remain a fool for the rest of my life!!

I'm Out4Marriage!!!Are You??

It is a CHOICE!!
SunXia
Warrior Princess
Warrior Princess

Location: Keeping Evils from this world at bay...with a smile!!

Previous

Return to Literature, Academics, and Philosophy