Ad/Spy Ware Support

Website, internet, technology, and computer resources, discussion and assistance.

Ad/Spy Ware Support

Unread postby Tyler » Fri May 14, 2004 2:24 am

Spyware and Adware is even more dangerious than a virus. A virus may destroy your comptuer but at least you know it's their Ad and Spy wares silently hide in your computer displaying pop up ads and even collect your personal data. Keylogger will record everything you type into paypal. This is a great threat now if you need help removing spyware please post here. As of May 24th 2005 any keylogger is illegal no matter what shape or form it takes. If you have a keylogger you should report/make a record of your computers internet history and give it to a spyware company or police office to help deturmine it's origanal location of where it was installed on your computer without your consent.

I've learned alot about spyware over the years and I recommend Webroot Spysweeper it is the absolute best when dealing with spyware don't be fooled with adaware and spybot this product is number 1.

I'd like to announce Spysweeper 4.0.3 has arrived! This new version has a enhanced scan engine for sweeps that are up to 4-times faster. 3.0 was slow so 3.5 made it 50% faster but 4.0 adds 400% on top of that! It also has automated definition downloads for better protection. Also Improved scheduling features for greater flexibility. Last but not least new Smart Shields for increased blocking protection.

http://www.webroot.com/products/spysweeper/
Last edited by Tyler on Wed Jun 29, 2005 7:05 am, edited 3 times in total.
Tyler
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Tyler » Fri May 14, 2004 2:57 am

_.
Last edited by Tyler on Thu May 26, 2005 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tyler
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby James » Fri May 14, 2004 3:27 am

Edit: the advice below is much more useful than my commentary.
Last edited by James on Fri May 14, 2004 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Lady Wu » Fri May 14, 2004 3:51 am

Ok, that looks like way too many running processes at the same time. I have no idea what half of those things are, but I bet at least half of them don't need to be loaded when you start windows. Check your systray and see what's there--are there items there that you don't absolutely need when you start up your computer? Open those program, and set the preferences to "do not load program at startup". Picture viewers and media programs take up quite a bit of processing power and should not be loaded until you need them to. Kill windows messenger (you can always open it when you need it). Right now, the only programs I load (on top of the basic required stuff) at start up are my firewall and my anti-virus. I don't know if anyway suggested this to you but you should scan for spyware/adware (which also auto-load without you knowing and can hog your memory).
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu
There's no better state than Wu

Unread postby robbyjo » Fri May 14, 2004 5:51 am

OMG! OMG! That's a boat load of spywares, my man! For the description of the programs you're running, go to http://www.reger24.de or search in Google. In a glimpse, I found these spywares: optimize.exe, redirect7.exe, q.exe, actalert.exe, bargains.exe, DownloadPlus.exe. WScript running indicates highly suspicious virus activity.

I would say that even with AdAware and Spybots combined, it would be pretty hard to uninstall these malicious programs. But give it a shot and see whether the programs above died.

http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/
http://www.safer-networking.org/

As always, if all fails, backup your data and reformat....

-- Rob
robbyjo
Überducky of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Tyler » Fri May 14, 2004 8:53 pm

_.
Last edited by Tyler on Tue Nov 08, 2005 2:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tyler
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Lady Wu » Fri May 14, 2004 9:39 pm

1: Go to the AdAware link robbyjo gave you (or here directly) and download the Ad-Aware software. It's free. It's an .exe and is self-extracting; just double-click on the file to run/install it. Run the program (open it, click "start" and then "next"). It'll take a while to scan through your files (like an antivirus software), then it'll tell you the list of Adwares on your computer. Make sure that the boxes next to the names of each item is checked, then click next. It will tell you the number of things it's going to remove. Click OK. The program will then remove all the items it found to be adwares. Some of them might not be removable right then (because they are running already); try restarting (in safe-mode, if possible) and run AdAware again to get rid of them.

2: Go to the Spybot link given by robbyjo and follow the "Download" links (or try here). The tutorial for using this program is here.

Download the software, double-click and install as above. When you run it, it will warn you about compatibility with AdAware, but just press ok. It'll then want you to look for updates but you can ignore that too (the version you're downloading should be the latest version). On the main screen, click on "Search and Destroy", then "Scan for Problems". It will then start scanning. After it's done, make sure that at least all the red items are checked, then click on "fix selected problems".

E&OE, check the tutorials provided with each program if you want to make sure you're doing it right.

Yeah, as with shampoo, rinse and repeat. Probably a couple of times just to make sure, since you have quite a bit of stuff to remove.
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu

Unread postby robbyjo » Fri May 14, 2004 10:51 pm

Liu Ce, first things first: Do not despair. Do not panic. Being panic or despair will exacerbate things since it's more likely you do more mistakes.

Backing up your data is good enough. You may want to back up your Outlook mailbox file. It's in:
C:\Documents and Settings\Baeten\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook

Just backup all files over there (esp Outlook.pst) so that you won't discard any mails. As far as for other data, you don't need to I suppose. Sony's install CDs would provide such fresh installation.

Follow Lady Wu's instructions. Note that since the spywares are quite a lot, it may be hard to remove them -- especially when there's a strong possibility of virus(es) interfering the process. I've been dealing with campus computers before and cleaning spywares drove me nuts. Not only that they're annoying, they keep reinstalling and even some have the capability to block and crash your Windows.

I would have to stress this though: It's better to run both AdAware and Spybot in Safe mode. To go to safe mode, reboot your computer and start pressing F8 like crazy. Choose "Safe mode". Details here:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.as ... -US;315222

This is because in Safe mode: most viruses and spywares won't execute (except for the nastiest strains). It makes cleaning much easier. Once you run both AdAware and Spybot to clean it up, reboot and return to safe mode again. Rerun both programs once more to make sure that there are no more spywares.

* If they're keep coming back even in Safe Mode, then you'd better reformat your hard drive.

* If it's clean, reboot to normal mode. Recheck using Hijackthis. If the spyware(s) are still coming back, reformat your hard drive. If they're clean, proceed to antivirus installation.

* I would suggest Norton Antivirus and not PC-Cilin. Note: Unlike anti-spyware program that may coexist peacefully, DO NOT install more than one anti-virus programs. If you decide to install NAV, uninstall PC-Cilin first, then install NAV. After installing the anti-virus, don't forget to update the virus-definition first! Otherwise it won't be able to detect new viruses. Run the scanning program on all hard drives you have (i.e. thorough scanning). This may take some good hours. Have a snack and relax.

* Follow everything the NAV says. Whenever it detects viruses, always favor to delete files rather than quarantine or cleaning it. After you're done with the thorough scanning. Reboot to normal mode and do thorough scanning once more. If the virus keep coming back, reformat your hard drive (because viruses sometime outsmart the anti-virus programs). If the virus is gone, congratulations.....

Hope this helps,
-- Rob
robbyjo
Überducky of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Lady Wu » Fri May 14, 2004 10:57 pm

I can't seem to make NAV run under safe mode... is that normal?
Lady Wu

Unread postby robbyjo » Fri May 14, 2004 11:21 pm

Lady Wu, during the safe mode, the NAV tray icon will not be available. However, the NAV itself can be run manually (i.e. through clicking Start -> Programs -> Norton AntiVirus). You can still scan files.

Well, I have the corporate edition (thanks to campus-wide license). Please let me know if there are some anomalies with other editions.

-- Rob
robbyjo
Überducky of Shen Zhou

Next

Return to Foreign Kingdoms