Ad/Spy Ware Support

Website, internet, technology, and computer resources, discussion and assistance.

Re: yo

Unread postby James » Thu Dec 30, 2004 6:07 pm

Akroma wrote:
Da_Chicago_Jigalo wrote:So its basically using spyware to fight other spyware?

Adaware and Spybot both classify each other as spywear. Its kinda funny really. :wink:

But neither is really spyware. They might flag one another simply because they both communicate with their servers for updates.
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Tyler » Sat Jan 01, 2005 6:17 am

Or it could be a way of saying their product is better and "we hate the opposition" :roll: . But my spybot and ad-aware do not flag each other is there some way the scan is not affecting my whole system or is scanning but not flagging?
Tyler
Scholar of Shen Zhou

yo

Unread postby Da_Chicago_Jigalo » Wed Mar 02, 2005 10:24 pm

DSO Exploit
5 of these entries are found on my Spybot S&D, they don't come up on my SE Adaware but keep coming up every time and will not go away. Could someone tell me what this is and how to fix it?
Yo.....
Da_Chicago_Jigalo
Langzhong

Unread postby Shiyuan » Wed Mar 02, 2005 10:33 pm

Try this link.
Attaining one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the true pinnalce of excellence. Subjugating the enemy's army without the use of force is the true pinnalce of excellence.

-Sun Tzu
Shiyuan
Assistant

Unread postby Tyler » Thu Mar 03, 2005 10:58 pm

DSO is a hole in Internet Explorer the true method is to dump IE and get FireFox1.1/Mozilla1.5(ish)/AOL(unknown version)/NetScape7.2

In basic just get rid of Internet Explorer it's a crap browser anyways.
Tyler
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Shiyuan » Fri Mar 04, 2005 3:47 pm

Yeah, that's what I'd advise as well. IE simply has too many problems. I've been using Firefox for a year and have had no problems at all.
Attaining one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the true pinnalce of excellence. Subjugating the enemy's army without the use of force is the true pinnalce of excellence.

-Sun Tzu
Shiyuan
Assistant

Unread postby robbyjo » Fri Mar 04, 2005 4:30 pm

DSO exploits are usually harmless, if you already have the latest patches installed. But I agree, in all cases, just switch to Firefox. For those of you that have problems with memory (like Jaime or Ranbir), I'd suggest a custom build available here:
http://moox.ws/tech/mozilla/firefox.htm

-- Rob
:mrgreen:
robbyjo
Überducky of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Tyler » Wed Jun 29, 2005 7:04 am

uyqw
Last edited by Tyler on Tue Nov 08, 2005 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tyler
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Lady Wu » Fri Sep 30, 2005 1:16 am

I forget which thread we used to discuss pop-ups in, but recently I'm discovering more and more websites bypassing Firefox's pop-up blocker. Since they only show up on some websites, I doubt I'm inflected with ad/spyware (and I scan with AdAware and Spybot every day). I played with the PopupTest, and found that Firefox cannot handle the drop down popups and the sticky popups. Are there any recent releases of pop-up killers that work to kill the pop-ups that Firefox can't?
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu
There's no better state than Wu
There's no better state than Wu

Unread postby Ranbir » Fri Sep 30, 2005 10:37 am

Avant has a decent pop-up blocker. I guess it isn't getting as namely as Firefox, so maybe not many have tried to go around it. ;)

You also get to specifically block the domains that the ads come from.
So ultimately, the popup may come up once, but then you can block all pop-ups that come from that said domain.

You can also set it to bypass certain pop ups. Like PM notification on this forum ;)
"The imaginary number is a fine and wonderful resource of the human spirit, almost an amphibian between being and not being." - Gottfried Leibniz
Science snobbery.
Ranbir
For Queen and Country

PreviousNext

Return to Foreign Kingdoms