The Better Browser? (New Poll)

Website, internet, technology, and computer resources, discussion and assistance.

What Browser Do you Use?

Internet Explorer
6%
Mozilla Firefox
44%
Apple Safari
13%
Google Chrome
25%
Mozilla/SeaMonkey
3%
Opera
9%
Netscape
No votes
WebTV
No votes
Camino/Chimera
No votes
Other (Please Explain)
No votes

Total votes : 32

The Better Browser? (New Poll)

Unread postby Stuart » Thu Mar 25, 2004 1:17 pm

Recently, Microsoft was fined for using its dominant market position to stifle competition.

One of these was the way its distributes Internet Explorer with Windows, but what alternatives are there, and is there any point in using them?

What browser do you use, and in what way do you consider it superior to the competition?

Recently i have switched from IE to Mozilla 1.6, because it comes with a pop-up blocker and appears to be relatively unknown to those who distribute ad-ware and spyware. I also like the way it is open source, so it means you can get good extensions for it etc. The only problem with it is that many web developers ignore it, and alot of websites don't display properly.
Stuart
The Shining One

Unread postby Bryan » Thu Mar 25, 2004 2:19 pm

Well, I use IE, although I admit that the only other browser that I've had that's up there was webTV, which was simply awful in my eyes, so I can't rightly say which one's superior. About the ad blocking, I just added the google toll bar, and that works pretty well. So, to sum it up, I chose the one I've had the most experiece with: IE.
"Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn."
Discover Tolkien!
Bryan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby JCC » Thu Mar 25, 2004 7:27 pm

Mozilla, by far. I'd put Opera in second place, followed by Internet Explorer. I don't like using Netscape, and have never used WebTV.
JCC
Mod! Law!

Unread postby Rhiannon » Fri Mar 26, 2004 5:23 am

I don't like Nav, I hate IE, I've never used Opera or webTV.

I <3 Mozilla however. Mm. Fast loading, multitabbing and no crashing. Can't get much better.
"For us to have self-esteem is truly an act of revolution and our revolution is long overdue."
— Margaret Cho
Rhiannon
Joy & Oblivion
Joy & Oblivion

Unread postby Iain » Fri Mar 26, 2004 8:15 am

I have been trying out Mozilla a fair bit lately, and I find faster results with it than IE, at times where Explorer would bog down Mozilla runs just fine.
Iain
Lord of Nanchang

Unread postby Kong Wen » Fri Mar 26, 2004 4:42 pm

I voted IE. I've never experienced these mysterious "bogging down" or crashing problems of which people speak; in fact, IE has always run smoothly and never given me any problem at all. That's enough to win my support.
"If I had to do my life over, I would change every single thing I have done."
— Raymond Douglas Davies, 1967
Kong Wen
Golden God
Golden God

Unread postby Book of Faith » Fri Mar 26, 2004 7:03 pm

Kong Zhengshu wrote:I voted IE. I've never experienced these mysterious "bogging down" or crashing problems of which people speak; in fact, IE has always run smoothly and never given me any problem at all. That's enough to win my support.

That's my case too. I've used IE for years, and never experienced any major problems with it. As for a speed comparison with Mozilla, I couldn't say(I've never used Mozilla), but I can say I don't think IE is slow enough to make me want to switch to something else.
Book of Faith
Langzhong

Unread postby Elemental » Sun Mar 28, 2004 1:02 am

My favorite browser is Safari... It's sleek, and functions without any defects, at least compared to the Internet Explorer on my home PC (XP), and the Internet Explorer on my iBook. I've also noticed that images load faster. Another feature is a pop-up blocker, and computer simpletons like me can access all the hidden functions other browsers "hide"... for example, text size, source code, text encoding, etc. The buttons look aqualicious, much better than Internet Explorer.

Second up is Camino, for most of the reasons above.

Third, I would say Internet Explorer. Though not my favorite, I can rely on it 99% of the time.
The only people you have to get back are those who have done you good...
Elemental
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Ranbir » Sun Mar 28, 2004 11:44 am

Me I.E along side my Win2000. Always maintained, always patched.

Never have I had an error, blue screen or any "not responding" problems.

It's all in how you use it.
"The imaginary number is a fine and wonderful resource of the human spirit, almost an amphibian between being and not being." - Gottfried Leibniz
Science snobbery.
Ranbir
For Queen and Country

Unread postby James » Sun Mar 28, 2004 9:00 pm

I use Firefox (formerly known as Firebird, formerly known as Phoenix) myself, which is part of the Mozilla project (which is to say it uses the Gecko rendering engine). Other browsers based off Mozilla include Netscape 6.x and higher, K-Meleon, and Chimera/Camino. Firefox is an official development, and is basically Mozilla with the extra crap (like Chatzilla and their Mail program) stripped, and features focused more on browsing. The object is to make Firefox the fastest browser in the Mozilla project, and in this they succeed.

Internet Explorer for Windows is integrated into the operating system. This gives the program tremendous access capabilities to parts of your computer you simply don’t want a Web browser accessing. Firefox/Mozilla/etc. all do not have this access and many of the Windows integration ‘features’ that Internet Explorer does, so it is far superior in terms of security.

Internet Explorer, though Microsoft is planning to change this in the finalized Windows XP SP2, does not support popup blocking. Even when it does, Mozilla takes it a step further by letting you determine what aspects of your browser JavaScript can control (features you can turn off include window resizing, position stacking, statusbar text, and what parts of your browser ‘chrome’ a popup window you request can hide). The features of Mozilla go much deeper than this for someone who is willing to experiment.

Mozilla is an open source project and is always being developed. You can theme it (make it look like Internet Explorer or any other number of things) and add extensions written by other people to enhance the program (e.g. a more robust ad manager or cursor movements that allow you to control the browsing of the Internet by moving your mouse rather than clicking).

Microsoft has all but stopped progression in terms of features, and Internet Explorer has become the least standards compliant and capable browser out there. Many CSS features and other things like PNG alpha transparency (which would allow people to make semi-transparent images) are simply not supported by Internet Explorer. Some examples of these shortcomings can be seen at KMA when browsing at a high resolution. You won’t initially notice these things because designers prepare their pages for universal access, but once you start using Mozilla you will also begin to notice these features more on other pages (e.g. on KMA it will only allow the text area to stretch so wide when viewed in Mozilla). Additionally, Mozilla is always being upgraded with new innovations, and that will not stop.

You can assign hotkeys to bookmarks. For example, when I type ‘sz’ in my address bar it automatically loads ‘http://the-scholars.com/’. Mozilla allows tabbed browsing (which initially appeared in Camino, a Macintosh browser, and is developed by the same author for the open source project). This allows you to open pages in tabs instead of new windows. You can navigate between the tabs by clicking on them or by using keyboard shortcuts. This is where AOL got the idea they included in AOL Instant Messenger for Windows. Also, you can open a collection of bookmarks in tabs with a single selection from the bookmarks sub-menus. When I log on to my browser I open eight different pages with the click of my mouse.

Text-zoom is a feature of Internet Explorer, but it is incompatible with any site that uses pixel-defined font sizes (this includes both KMA and SoSZ along with many additional sites on the Internet). In Mozilla, this feature works with all pages that don’t place text in images. This is especially important for people that don’t have good vision, but also nice for people like me who don’t want to lean forward and read small-text pages with my eyes in front of the screen.

Another neat one is the ability to define your own style sheet. For example, I use one that searches for iFrames, tables, and images of certain sizes and flat out removes them from the page. The result is I only see an advertisement once every three weeks or so when browsing the Internet, and I never have popups thanks to the internal popup manager.

It takes some getting used to, but once you really start to understand how the program works and get used to these features, it is hard to really imagine going back. And finally, once again I’d like to show you the security risks at the top of the page. The vast majority of adware you get comes from Internet Explorer.

Ranbir wrote:Me I.E along side my Win2000. Always maintained, always patched.
Never have I had an error, blue screen or any "not responding" problems.
It's all in how you use it.

Well... the fact that you are using Win2K in and of itself counts for a lot. That's probably the most stable OS Microsoft has made since NT. Windows 3.1, 95, 98, and ME do not have protected memory, and as a result are much more sensitive to user abuse and need to be rebooted more frequently. They are also much more prone to crashing. Windows XP builds on the architecture of NT/2K and thanks to this it is the first consumer-level Microsoft OS to include this type of stability.
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Next

Return to Foreign Kingdoms