The Better Browser? (New Poll)

Website, internet, technology, and computer resources, discussion and assistance.

What Browser Do you Use?

Internet Explorer
6%
Mozilla Firefox
44%
Apple Safari
13%
Google Chrome
25%
Mozilla/SeaMonkey
3%
Opera
9%
Netscape
No votes
WebTV
No votes
Camino/Chimera
No votes
Other (Please Explain)
No votes

Total votes : 32

Unread postby robbyjo » Tue Aug 31, 2004 4:20 pm

Ranbir,

I think that if you open too many tabs it will take away quite a lot of memory. If you have problems with multimedia contents, you can downloads plugins for it. Available separately. For Flash / Shockwave, you can go directly to Macromedia.com. For other plugins (RealOne / QuickTime) you can go to their respective sites.

For Java, you need to install Sun's Java, not Microsoft's Java. Some programs are constructed specifically for MS Java, so those won't work.

As for IE memory usage, IE "cheated" by coupling some of its parts with the OS. So the 30MB wasn't truly the memory load. Think of it as a safer browser. You can always use a RAM upgrade. ;)

-- Rob
:mrgreen:
robbyjo
Überducky of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Ranbir » Tue Aug 31, 2004 4:33 pm

I have 1gb of RAM, its no problem, I'm just surprised firefox took 60mb.
And I have all the plugins, if I didn't, I would have said they do not work, they do, they are just loaded with problems.
And if multi tabbing is going to take more memory, I may as well stick with multi windows.
"The imaginary number is a fine and wonderful resource of the human spirit, almost an amphibian between being and not being." - Gottfried Leibniz
Science snobbery.
Ranbir
For Queen and Country

Unread postby James » Tue Aug 31, 2004 7:47 pm

Ranbir wrote:And if multi tabbing is going to take more memory, I may as well stick with multi windows.

Multiple windows takes up more memory than multiple tabs. As Rob said above, Internet Explorer allocates its memory in different places. Because IE is part of your OS, IE isn’t the only thing working when you browse the Internet. If you are getting an error when you quit the program, you may want to uninstall then reinstall, because many of those problems should not be taking place.

And IE Windows is a very fast browser—that’s what OS integration does for you. It is possible to make Firefox run much more smoothly though, you just have to customize it a little by configuring user.js. My copy of Firefox absolutely screams. You can learn about this by searching the Internet, but it will take some time. Maybe when I’ve got more myself, I’ll post some details.
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Ranbir » Wed Jan 19, 2005 1:20 am

I've dropped firefox (after countless errors) in favour of Avant browser. An addon to IE. Does take 40megs of memory, but I'm glad to see it stays that way. No jumps.

They did suggest it be used on Win2k. And that's exactly what I have.
"The imaginary number is a fine and wonderful resource of the human spirit, almost an amphibian between being and not being." - Gottfried Leibniz
Science snobbery.
Ranbir
For Queen and Country

Unread postby Liu Yuante » Wed Jan 19, 2005 1:53 am

I use Netscape 7.2, for the reasons indicated by James as belonging to the Mozilla family of browsers, as well as for the fact that I originally used Netscape before IE. Basically a mix of good functionality with familiarity.

Adrian
Liu Yuante
绯红王

Unread postby fantasycrusader » Wed Jan 26, 2005 1:30 pm

I dont see the one I'm using up there. Is it fairly new? It's called Maxthon.

Functions pretty much like IE but with enhanced security settings and allows Tabbed Browsing as well.

I;ve tried Firefox before. And I didn't like the fact that it couldn't read some CSS codings. [@.@] Also, It seemed as if I needed various plugins to view something.....which when everytime I tried to ask the program to search for the missing plugin, zero results come back. =| [Well of fourse some did work.]

Maxthon, like Firefox[and IE lol] updates itself regularly.

In my opinion, Firefox + IE = Maxthon. :p

[Tech savvy peeps, please don't come after my head if I made a grave error with the above statement. =|]
fantasycrusader
Langzhong

Unread postby Shiyuan » Thu Mar 10, 2005 9:15 pm

I've been using Firefox for a very long time now (can't remember exactly how long). IE is too slow, too buggy, and too slow (again). Firefox is, by far, a much better experience. It's much faster, much more efficient (tabbed browsing, extensions, etc.), much more secure (almost all of the viruses are aimed toward IE users), and a much better browser overall. Long live Mozilla!
Attaining one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the true pinnalce of excellence. Subjugating the enemy's army without the use of force is the true pinnalce of excellence.

-Sun Tzu
Shiyuan
Assistant

Unread postby Ranbir » Thu Mar 10, 2005 11:48 pm

Some features from Avant, that totally blow Firefox out the water.

It's stable. Far more than Firefox. Easier to use, and simply has everything that Firefox boasts...and thensome!

If in the event you get a program error, say, and the program closes. Avant has an amazing recovery system. Every page I had opened (It's multi-tabbed, more streamlined access than firefox too) can be safely recovered.

So imagine I was writing this post. If I used old firefox, or regular IE, if I go a program error, the post I was typing would be lost. I'd have to retype the thing all over again. Avant, sweet dear Avant, saves it. It's recovery system is amazingly awesome. Built in XML feeds, an array of inbuilt tools, from web translators to pop-up blockers. Another coolness is you can set to disable pictures or flashes from certains sites so they load quicker etc. Loads faster than firefox, works faster than firefox. Yeah, I recently did a clean install of firefox to make some comparisons. Firefox is ugly. I'll even give a minute example. The tabs in avant, if you want to close them, simply double click on the tab. It may not sound much but it becomes a second habit, so quick. Ability to navigate through your tabs is easier, meaning you can easily manage alot of tabs. The more tabs you have on firefox, the smaller the tabs get which even block out the names.
Avant doesn't do that. Avant is built on IE, so it can take all the plugins that has etc. Lovely, just lovely.

If you haven't figured it out, I really love Avant.
Science snobbery.
Ranbir
For Queen and Country

Unread postby Ma Chao of Xi Liang » Mon Apr 11, 2005 6:10 am

Internet Explorer can get alot of viruses from other websites so I dont use it
Ma Chao of Xi Liang
Langzhong

Unread postby Tyler » Sat Apr 16, 2005 2:04 pm

Mozilla and it's sub-browsers such as firefox and netscape are starting to get hit with more viruses and spyware than before this could be due to their rising popularity. If you never want a virus or such you must go to something noone will ever use, may I reccomend Lynx anyone :P .
Tyler
Scholar of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to Foreign Kingdoms