The Better Browser? (New Poll)

Website, internet, technology, and computer resources, discussion and assistance.

What Browser Do you Use?

Internet Explorer
6%
Mozilla Firefox
44%
Apple Safari
13%
Google Chrome
25%
Mozilla/SeaMonkey
3%
Opera
9%
Netscape
No votes
WebTV
No votes
Camino/Chimera
No votes
Other (Please Explain)
No votes

Total votes : 32

Re: The Better Browser? (New Poll)

Unread postby James » Fri Oct 10, 2008 5:24 pm

Ranbir wrote:Tell me what to paste cause they're all trying to make me put in iPhone. I don't want the iPhone agent.

Yeah, you definitely don't want an iPhone user agent string.

Safari User Agent Strings
Here's a good one (Safari, Windows, new version):
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-US) AppleWebKit/525.19 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.2 Safari/525.21

You're probably best off using Safari because it is well accounted for across websites and if someone is specifically targeting browsers, anything coded for Safari should work properly in Chrome due to very similar rendering capabilities. If you use an IE string you'll get IE hacks littered in your code, and that can break things.
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Ranbir » Fri Oct 10, 2008 5:56 pm

Thanks. I've decided to not bother, it was only comcast and I've forgotten the other site. But good to know I can change if needed.
"The imaginary number is a fine and wonderful resource of the human spirit, almost an amphibian between being and not being." - Gottfried Leibniz
Science snobbery.
Ranbir
For Queen and Country

Unread postby Ranbir » Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:41 am

Serious security flaw found in IE

Internet Explorer is used by the vast majority of the world's computer users
Users of the world's most common web browser have been advised to switch to a rival until a serious security flaw has been fixed.
The flaw in Microsoft's Internet Explorer could allow criminals to take control of people's computers and steal their passwords, internet experts say.
Microsoft is investigating the problem and preparing an emergency software patch to resolve it, it says.
Internet Explorer is used by the vast majority of the world's computer users.
"Microsoft is continuing its investigation of public reports of attacks against a new vulnerability in Internet Explorer," said the firm in a security advisory alert about the flaw.
Microsoft says it has detected attacks against version seven of the browser - its most widely used edition.
But the company warned that other versions were also potentially vulnerable.
As many as 10,000 websites have been compromised since last week to take advantage of the security flow, said antivirus software maker Trend Micro.
The websites have been mostly serving up programs that steal computer game passwords, but the flaw could be "adopted by more financially motivated criminals", a Trend Micro security researcher said on Monday.
"The imaginary number is a fine and wonderful resource of the human spirit, almost an amphibian between being and not being." - Gottfried Leibniz
Science snobbery.
Ranbir
For Queen and Country

Unread postby James » Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:55 pm

Eww... is there more specific information about the security flaw somewhere?

If I was a diehard IE user right now I'd be using Firefox until the patch came out...

(Not that I would use IE anyway with better browsers out there, and better security everywhere else...)
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Ranbir » Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:38 am

Patch is out now.
Science snobbery.
Ranbir
For Queen and Country

Unread postby Kong Wen » Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:41 am

Bump!

For no reason at all, Safari started dicking out on me while browsing some other sites/forums. It wouldn't load certain pages, gave me errors on some others, etc. I started using Firefox again for those sites, even though I hate it. :( I still use Safari for SoSZ though.
"We spread the time as we can, but in the end the world takes it all back."
— Roland Deschain, Wolves of the Calla
Kong Wen
The Bronze Age of SoSZ
The Bronze Age of SoSZ

Unread postby Ranbir » Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:19 am

Chrome just got itself extensions now in the normal stream. (It was in dev and beta for a while now)
Science snobbery.
Ranbir
For Queen and Country

Unread postby James » Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:11 am

Kong Wen wrote:For no reason at all, Safari started dicking out on me while browsing some other sites/forums. It wouldn't load certain pages, gave me errors on some others, etc. I started using Firefox again for those sites, even though I hate it. :( I still use Safari for SoSZ though.

Probably an obvious question: did you uninstall/reinstall?
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Kong Wen » Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:41 am

James wrote:Probably an obvious question: did you uninstall/reinstall?

No, partly because I force myself to change browsers every once in a while anyway (I don't have an explanation for that). I went to Camino for a bit after Firefox, and now I've been using Safari again without any problems since the last update.
"We spread the time as we can, but in the end the world takes it all back."
— Roland Deschain, Wolves of the Calla
Kong Wen
The Bronze Age of SoSZ
The Bronze Age of SoSZ

Unread postby James » Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:46 am

I love Safari more and more (on Mac).

I'm still using Chrome on Windows.

I actually try to change browsers too from time to time, even if I don't want to. Well, at least I try to change to something new, or something which has been significantly updated. Its thanks to habits like that that I have an appreciation of browsers like Chrome.
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

PreviousNext

Return to Foreign Kingdoms