The Better Browser? (New Poll)

Website, internet, technology, and computer resources, discussion and assistance.

What Browser Do you Use?

Internet Explorer
6%
Mozilla Firefox
44%
Apple Safari
13%
Google Chrome
25%
Mozilla/SeaMonkey
3%
Opera
9%
Netscape
No votes
WebTV
No votes
Camino/Chimera
No votes
Other (Please Explain)
No votes

Total votes : 32

Re: The Better Browser? (New Poll)

Unread postby James » Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:14 pm

Ranbir wrote:I've transferred my favourites over. It's pop-up blocker isn't that fantastic yet, and nothing to support ad blocking; hopefully that gets in quick. I think I will make more use of this browser though, shockingly this is something from Google that is growing on me. And will be brilliant once I block their ads in their entirety.

I imagine ad-blocker will be ported to Chrome since Chrome is open-source.
They've ported it to pretty much everything else. That'll solve the ads.

I agree it would be nice for a popup blocker to have an option to totally wipe popups. But then again, this is nice in one regard, as it doesn't actually block the popups... it just stores them down there at the bottom of the screen. They can be ignored or interacted with (for those sites that would benefit from their actual use), and it probably also allows you to avoid popups on sites that disable content when a popup blocker is detected. I currently prefer the standard Firefox/Safari solution, but the Chrome one might grow on me.

I have to admit... I'm still using and enjoying this browser at work.

I definitely didn't expect to.
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Foif » Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:46 am

Just recently downloaded it, and i must say im really suprised by this. [In a good way]

AS said before though, Ad-block is needed and surely to come, and i've also heard it doesnt have flash support just yet, although havent run into anything flash based just yet.

A plugin i do hope will be ported is the mouse gesture one on firefox, otherwise im fine with this one. Just made it my new default :huohu:
Foif
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Ranbir » Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:30 pm

Privoxy has taken care of my adblocking. Looks like Chrome is here to stay for a while.
"The imaginary number is a fine and wonderful resource of the human spirit, almost an amphibian between being and not being." - Gottfried Leibniz
Science snobbery.
Ranbir
For Queen and Country

Unread postby Kong Wen » Fri Sep 05, 2008 4:29 am

It's not surprising that Chrome's built-in ad-blocking is a bit "lite", given that Google is essentially an ad company...
"We spread the time as we can, but in the end the world takes it all back."
— Roland Deschain, Wolves of the Calla
Kong Wen
The Bronze Age of SoSZ
The Bronze Age of SoSZ

Unread postby James » Fri Sep 05, 2008 4:52 am

Does anybody else even provide built in ad-blocking?

I know the only way I got rid of them in Safari, for the longest time, was with a style-sheet I wrote that pretty much purged them from the face of the internet. But now Ad-blocker is available for Safari too. What's most unusual of all is that I've become sort of accustomed to internet ads and they don't bother me much anymore. Popups, on the other hand...
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Kong Wen » Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:01 am

James wrote:What's most unusual of all is that I've become sort of accustomed to internet ads and they don't bother me much anymore.

Ditto. A lot of times, pages end up rendering even worse without the ads. At least they did back when I tried some ad-blocking stuff. Maybe they're fixed now.
"We spread the time as we can, but in the end the world takes it all back."
— Roland Deschain, Wolves of the Calla
Kong Wen
The Bronze Age of SoSZ
The Bronze Age of SoSZ

Unread postby Ranbir » Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:14 am

Avant does! (inbuilt)

Anyway, this privoxy is too hardcore for me. Guess I'll wait on something user friendly Chrome plugin.

For some reason the SoSZ banner is no longer showing (I can only guess it has been blocked but that never happened before and the settings aren't different!)

What has been fantastic with privoxy is, atleast. None of the ad cookies or whatever reach my comp now.

Edit: Also I figured out why the Suggested Sites thing wasn't working. Chrome had imported my favourites from IE and so it copied those two links as well.
"The imaginary number is a fine and wonderful resource of the human spirit, almost an amphibian between being and not being." - Gottfried Leibniz
Science snobbery.
Ranbir
For Queen and Country

Unread postby Ranbir » Fri Oct 10, 2008 4:05 pm

It isn't Webkit, it is bad programming on the part of a web designer. You can solve this problem by changing Chrome's user agent string to something used by another browser (I'd suggest Safari since it uses the same rendering engine). That page clearly wasn't designed with Chrome in mind.

HOW?!
Science snobbery.
Ranbir
For Queen and Country

Unread postby James » Fri Oct 10, 2008 4:21 pm

Ranbir wrote:HOW?!

Google. :)
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Ranbir » Fri Oct 10, 2008 5:15 pm

Tell me what to paste cause they're all trying to make me put in iPhone. I don't want the iPhone agent.
Science snobbery.
Ranbir
For Queen and Country

PreviousNext

Return to Foreign Kingdoms