The Better Browser? (New Poll)

Website, internet, technology, and computer resources, discussion and assistance.

What Browser Do you Use?

Internet Explorer
6%
Mozilla Firefox
44%
Apple Safari
13%
Google Chrome
25%
Mozilla/SeaMonkey
3%
Opera
9%
Netscape
No votes
WebTV
No votes
Camino/Chimera
No votes
Other (Please Explain)
No votes

Total votes : 32

Unread postby Elven Fury » Mon Mar 29, 2004 1:53 am

I feel that internet explorer is the best and fastest of them all b/c of its superior technology though i dont know all of what that is...
It is important to draw wisdom from many different places. If we take it from only one place, it becomes rigid and stale. Understanding others - other people, other beliefs, and other nations - will help you become whole.
Elven Fury
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby James » Mon Mar 29, 2004 4:40 am

Elven Fury wrote:I feel that internet explorer is the best and fastest of them all b/c of its superior technology though i dont know all of what that is...

Superior technology? In every regard I can imagine it lacks the features I would expect in order to call it a superior technology. It also uses plenty of old code and hasn’t been remade from the ground up at any point in recent history that I am aware of. Though it does lack many features and falls easily behind in standards support, I do agree with you in the assessment that it is fast.
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Elemental » Tue Mar 30, 2004 12:06 am

I've downloaded Firefox, and I must admit, it is pretty nifty. Most of its features, however, can be found in Safari, ie. the Google bar. I have not explored it enough to say whether I like it better than Safari, but I do enjoy the crisp metallic bar of Safari, and the cooler buttons and graphics.

I believe you also own a Mac OS X, James?
The only people you have to get back are those who have done you good...
Elemental
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby James » Tue Mar 30, 2004 12:15 am

Elemental wrote:I've downloaded Firefox, and I must admit, it is pretty nifty. Most of its features, however, can be found in Safari, ie. the Google bar. I have not explored it enough to say whether I like it better than Safari, but I do enjoy the crisp metallic bar of Safari, and the cooler buttons and graphics.

I believe you also own a Mac OS X, James?

Yeah, I do. So far I’m very impressed by Safari, it is already a much better browser than Internet Explorer ever has been, and now ranks among my favorites. For the time being though I still feel it is lacking in comparison to Firefox. It still has some Java/JavaScript issues that need to be resolved and a number of larger browser bugs, but Apple is working on all of them.

On the other hand, it does handle some things a little better, like scrolling on pages that have fixed-position backgrounds. Now, if Apple goes in and fixes these things, makes it a little faster, provides the ability to assign keyboard shortcuts to bookmarks, and lets me write/download new search scripts for the built in search engine (example for Firefox), I might just switch browsers.
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby kcin » Sat Aug 14, 2004 2:12 am

Well i used to use Internet Explorer but it stuffed up so now i use Opera which i think has alot more features and it also looks alot better.
hmmm...
kcin
Apprentice

Unread postby KingofWei&Wu » Sat Aug 14, 2004 8:01 pm

I use Ybrowser and it's okay for me.
So much the stronger proved
He with his thunder: and till then who knew
The force of those dire arms? yet not for those,
Nor what the potent victor in his rage
Can else inflict, do I repent or change
KingofWei&Wu
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby robbyjo » Sat Aug 14, 2004 8:08 pm

I use Firefox since quite a while ago. I can say that it rocks and it has lots of [url=http://update.mozilla.org/extensions/?application={ec8030f7-c20a-464f-9b0e-13a3a9e97384}]extensions[/url], including Google bar, Ad-blocker, Mouse gesture, etc...

-- Rob

Edit: Fixed URL
Last edited by robbyjo on Sun Aug 15, 2004 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
:mrgreen:
robbyjo
Überducky of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Justin » Sat Aug 14, 2004 11:34 pm

I really like firefox, though to be fair IE can be upgraded using carious 3rd party apps to act more like mozilla. However this should be native and isn't a good thing. However some high risk flaws have been discovered in Firefox/mozilla lately and a security patch or 4 had to be issued. I think firefox makes my browsing better but it's security issues aren't 100% resolved yet.
My Website

My Blog

The Dungeon

Trouble maker extraordinaire!
Justin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Ts'aoist » Sun Aug 15, 2004 6:28 am

I use Firefox. Although it loads less quickly than IE (you heard me), its features are a head and shoulders above IE in terms of usefulness. The recent security problems are nothing that IE hasn't faced in the past.
The ancient adepts of Wei were subtle and flexible, profound and comprehensive.
Their minds were too deep to be fathomed.
Ts'ao Te Ching, Ch. 15
Ts'aoist
Master

Unread postby Ranbir » Tue Aug 31, 2004 4:13 pm

I tried firefox, and to be honest, it has given me more problems that IE.

Firefox eats away at memory like nobody's business, reaching 60megs. IE has only ever gone as high as 30. Also I do have problems with java (GM tools don't work on very well!). It won't display netvideos very well, I get problems with realoneplayer, quicktime and WMP. Everytime I close firefox, I get an error message. I haven't done anything to it, just download the version available. The only reason I am still willing to use it is because of the use of tabs, and the fact is 'looks' better.
"The imaginary number is a fine and wonderful resource of the human spirit, almost an amphibian between being and not being." - Gottfried Leibniz
Science snobbery.
Ranbir
For Queen and Country

PreviousNext

Return to Foreign Kingdoms