The Better Browser? (New Poll)

Website, internet, technology, and computer resources, discussion and assistance.

What Browser Do you Use?

Internet Explorer
6%
Mozilla Firefox
44%
Apple Safari
13%
Google Chrome
25%
Mozilla/SeaMonkey
3%
Opera
9%
Netscape
No votes
WebTV
No votes
Camino/Chimera
No votes
Other (Please Explain)
No votes

Total votes : 32

Re: The Better Browser? (New Poll)

Unread postby Xia Kyoto » Mon Dec 27, 2010 7:26 am

Yup, using it right now actually. :)
"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.. and if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." - Nietzsche
Xia Kyoto
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby James » Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:52 am

Human5 wrote:i think that opera, internet explorer, safari, and firefox are the best web browsers there is.

You covered too much ground with that. Aside from there being one 'best' browser in any given opinion, you've pretty much spanned the entire range of browsers out there (leaving out Chrome). You could highlight the elements you like about other browsers aside from Opera. IE doesn't do anything better than those other browsers. Nothing I can think of... except maybe ActiveX? Nice...

Check out Chrome. Pretty sweet browser.
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Human5 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:29 am

James wrote:You covered too much ground with that. Aside from there being one 'best' browser in any given opinion, you've pretty much spanned the entire range of browsers out there (leaving out Chrome). You could highlight the elements you like about other browsers aside from Opera. IE doesn't do anything better than those other browsers. Nothing I can think of... except maybe ActiveX? Nice...

Check out Chrome. Pretty sweet browser.
oh yeah. I forgot chrome. what is should say is that I like all browsers that have a good look, and supports the latest stuff.

Netscape shouldn't even be a candidate anymore. the support has already ended for it, and its dominance in web browsers has long been over.
Last edited by Human5 on Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Human5
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Re:

Unread postby Human5 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:31 am

Rhiannon wrote:I don't like Nav, I hate IE, I've never used Opera or webTV.

I <3 Mozilla however. Mm. Fast loading, multitabbing and no crashing. Can't get much better.
almost all the new browsers have multi tabbing now.
Human5
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Shen Ai » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:36 pm

Apple Safari for me mostly, and Explorer when I can't use my laptop. What's Opera like?
I've a brave warrior in my army. Shen Ai is his name, and he can slay this Hua Xiong.

Wei has no more famous commanders, Shen Ai takes lead of the vanguard!

Even a commoner on the street knows what Shen Ai is thinking!
Shen Ai
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby James » Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:03 pm

Shen Ai wrote:Apple Safari for me mostly, and Explorer when I can't use my laptop. What's Opera like?

Try Chrome on the PC. Very nice browser. But Safari is awesome in OS X. Opera is a very feature-rich browser and I know plenty of people who swear by it, but it isn't the best rendering engine for websites on the internet (I'd say Webkit is best, Safari and Chrome; Gecko second, Firefox) and I'm not sure why you would pay money for a browser when there are numerous free alternatives which also happen to be fantastic.
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Human5 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:46 pm

Shen Ai wrote:Apple Safari for me mostly, and Explorer when I can't use my laptop. What's Opera like?

An advantage that opera has over the other browsers is speed dial. However, this feature is not so exciting, because Firefox and Chrome both have add-ons that enable speed dial. Opera also looks good. I would suggest that you could install it an try it, and uninstall it if you don't like it. But I prefer Chrome over Opera.

James wrote:I'm not sure why you would pay money for a browser when there are numerous free alternatives which also happen to be fantastic.

What browser are you refering to?

---------------
After starting to use Firefox and Chrome, I couldn't stand IE. IE just seems so slow, and it is ugly compared to the others.
Human5
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby James » Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:59 pm

Human5 wrote:An advantage that opera has over the other browsers is speed dial. However, this feature is not so exciting, because Firefox and Chrome both have add-ons that enable speed dial. Opera also looks good. I would suggest that you could install it an try it, and uninstall it if you don't like it. But I prefer Chrome over Opera.

I assume 'speed dial' is Opera's name for the feature where you can assign a shortcut for a URL, enter that shortcut, and go to the URL? For example, 'sz' for 'http://the-scholars.com/'. For some reason I thought Firefox didn't even need an extension for this. It is something you can just enter in the bookmark data for an entry. It is a very nice feature, though. I used to miss it, working in Safari, but now that I think of it, Safari's prediction system for URLs through history and bookmarks has allowed me to navigation to virtually every single URL I visit with a degree of regularity by entering just a few keystrokes for the proper auto-complete.

Human5 wrote:What browser are you refering to?

Safari, Chrome, Firefox. Although I have little love for Firefox these days.
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Human5 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:01 pm

James wrote:Safari, Chrome, Firefox. Although I have little love for Firefox these days.

I meant the one you have to pay for.
------
prediction system for URLs through history and bookmarks has allowed me to navigation to virtually every single URL I visit with a degree of regularity by entering just a few keystrokes for the proper auto-complete.

Now that I think about it, Opera does have a URL prediction system.

Speed dial is a grid of blocks which you click and it goes to the web page you want.

Like this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Features_o ... Speed_Dial
Human5
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby James » Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:27 pm

Human5 wrote:I meant the one you have to pay for.

Oh, wow. Showing my age in the industry there. I forgot that Opera is now free for home use.

Human5 wrote:Speed dial is a grid of blocks which you click and it goes to the web page you want.

Ah, okay. Safari added something like that in a 2009 release. To be honest I'm not sure it is anywhere near as useful as some other navigation features in various browsers.

Human5 wrote:Now that I think about it, Opera does have a URL prediction system.

They all do, now. What they don't all have is a fantastic URL prediction system.
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

PreviousNext

Return to Foreign Kingdoms