Programming Assistance Thread

Website, internet, technology, and computer resources, discussion and assistance.

Programming Assistance Thread

Unread postby Justin » Sat Feb 21, 2004 3:42 pm

This thread is for when you need help with a programming problem. I am a developer and I know several other people on the board are as well. If you're stuck post here and we'll see what we can do. This is for more hard core regular languages like C, C++, Java, etc. If you need help with a HTML or CSS please post in the web programming thread.
My Website

My Blog

The Dungeon

Trouble maker extraordinaire!
Justin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Tyler » Wed Mar 17, 2004 6:08 pm

I know this thread is for hard-core developers, but I couldn't find anywhere eles to post this sorry. I have always wanted to be a developer (don't lagh James) but I know nothing about it, so does anyone know any good sites explaining html, C+++, java, and others. :oops: Or perhaps the basic C would be more at my level. :oops:
Tyler
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Asellas » Wed Mar 17, 2004 6:12 pm

Liu Ce wrote:I know this thread is for hard-core developers, but I couldn't find anywhere eles to post this sorry. I have always wanted to be a developer (don't lagh James) but I know nothing about it, so does anyone know any good sites explaining html, C+++, java, and others. :oops: Or perhaps the basic C would be more at my level. :oops:

Perhaps you should read the other thread where james posted the best site to learn coding and all.

www.w3schools.com
Asellas
Lord of Winterfell

Unread postby Justin » Fri Mar 19, 2004 7:44 pm

Liu Ce wrote:I know this thread is for hard-core developers, but I couldn't find anywhere eles to post this sorry. I have always wanted to be a developer (don't lagh James) but I know nothing about it, so does anyone know any good sites explaining html, C+++, java, and others. :oops: Or perhaps the basic C would be more at my level. :oops:

It depends on what you want to learn. Do you want to learn real programming languages or web languages like HTML. It depends on what you want to do. I would start with the above link to the w3c as much as I hate them for web programming. For C++, java, etc I would start here:

http://www.codeproject.com

http://www.programmersheaven.com

http://www.borland.com

http://msdn.microsoft.com

Start with the beginning tutorials and such. You will need to buy/download some tools and learn about how to program.
My Website

My Blog

The Dungeon

Justin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Li Zhen » Mon Jun 14, 2004 11:50 pm

Hi

Visual Basic is the only language I know. I can make pretty decent programs (well not compared to you hardcore programmers, I know!), but they are very slow. Does anyone else here work in this language?

If so, can you explain how to create a multi-dimensional control array?

Thanks.
Li Zhen
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Justin » Tue Jun 15, 2004 2:10 pm

Li Zhen wrote:Hi

Visual Basic is the only language I know. I can make pretty decent programs (well not compared to you hardcore programmers, I know!), but they are very slow. Does anyone else here work in this language?

If so, can you explain how to create a multi-dimensional control array?

Thanks.

I have never worked with VB but I have worked with multi-dimensional arrays before. Is the problem with the VB controls or making the arrays?
My Website

My Blog

The Dungeon

Justin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Li Zhen » Tue Jun 15, 2004 3:25 pm

Well,

I'm sort of a novice so...

to make a multi-dimensional array:

dim blablabla(a,b,c...) as blablabla

and to make an array of controls, I just copy and paste a control and check the box asking me if I want to create an array.

When I have a grid (it's for a dynasty-tactics type game, but very simple), each square is a seperate control. It's annoying to have to use mod etc. to turn the place it holds in the array into 'X' and 'Y' co-ordinates I can use in the program.

The code is just getting too complicated with a load of mod etc. calculations all the way through it.

Thanks
Li Zhen
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Ranbir » Tue Feb 22, 2005 4:45 pm

Anyone know of a program that compile .m files?

Matlab scripts. There is a Matlab Compiler, but they don't even have a trial software for students. I checked my uni network to see if they had it, nope they didn't.

So yeah, anyone know of a program that can compile matlab scripts?
"The imaginary number is a fine and wonderful resource of the human spirit, almost an amphibian between being and not being." - Gottfried Leibniz
Science snobbery.
Ranbir
For Queen and Country

Unread postby Lu Xun » Tue Feb 22, 2005 5:58 pm

Just a tip for anyone out there: Don't take up programming because you think it can make you money, don't learn it because people say you'd be good at it, or any other reson other than your love for doing it. Teachers had convinced me that programming was going to be my future career and I was going to be great at it. After a two years of C++, my Object Oriented Programming class, Graphic Object Oriented Programming class (java), and video game design I decided it wasn't for me.

Constantly checking lines and lines of code for one little syntax error and hours of going: "Oh, I put a period instead of a comma." Just wasn't my thing. Unless you love it is going to become tedious and boring. I thought it would grow on me because I love languages so much, but programming language are nothing like real languages.

Yes, I had a horrible teacher, and I was way more interested in theatre (which afternoon/after school programming classes got in the way of). All of that had a big negative impact, but it just made me come to a conclusion more quickly. I'm glad I realized this before I was in college majoring in computer science. Just make sure it the right thing for you and you are not doing it for any other reason. It bored the heck out of me. :?
性高潮枪
"Cheap sandal-maker! Do you always send your little bastard to the field?
If I call my little yellowbeard Cao Zhang over, he'll make meatballs of him!"
- Mengde
Lu Xun
Crown Prince of Shen Zhou

Location: Drinking wine, writing poems, and spending time with my concubines

Unread postby Tyler » Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:15 am

Last year I took care of my HTML studies and this year I am taking Visual Basic .NET, C++, and Java for my programming languages. I was wondering if it is at all possible to have a click event procedure when you click on a menu item that loads a HTML page. Does anyone know the command for this I'm baffled.

I'm using the MSDN version of Vistual Studio 2003 if that helps.
Tyler
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Next

Return to Foreign Kingdoms