Virus Warnings & Assistance

Website, internet, technology, and computer resources, discussion and assistance.

Unread postby Jason » Sat Sep 16, 2006 3:27 am

Okay, some jackass downloaded something on my computer, and I couldn't get it to start. So I did a PC recovery, not realizing I'd lose everything I had

Is there a way to go back? Or am I literally going to have to kill a family member.
“I always wonder why birds choose to stay in the same place when they can fly anywhere on the earth, then I ask myself the same question.”

― Harun Yahya
Jason
Legendary

Unread postby Adam » Sat Oct 14, 2006 9:33 pm

OK, when I got on my computer today I found I have a program called "VirusBuster"
I've never even heard of it, and it was not installed on my system before the recovery
I uninstalled it and it seems to be gone for now, but it appeared to have installed numerous infected files so it would detect them, and if you use the program it requires you to buy it before it will do -anything- with the infected files.
I'm fixed up, but I thought I'd put it out there for others.
Adam
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Changes » Sun Oct 15, 2006 12:02 am

Ezekiel wrote:Okay, some jackass downloaded something on my computer, and I couldn't get it to start. So I did a PC recovery, not realizing I'd lose everything I had

Is there a way to go back? Or am I literally going to have to kill a family member.

It all depends on what utility you use.

If your using Windows System Recovery utility sometimes there is a way to go back for limited time but it is unlikely. In other words get your shovel and set the cars GPS to the ol' lime quarry it's going to be a long night.

I cannot comment for other methods of data recovery.
Changes
Assistant

Unread postby Jason » Tue Oct 31, 2006 6:49 am

http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/index.html

Wow. If you have any spyware problems, go there and download Spybot - Search and Destroy. I had 70 spyware problems, to the point where I didn't have a background anymore. I ran this, it fixed everything but 3 problems. It said to restart, and checked when I came back on (took like 7 minutes, but, worth it) and fixed the other 3. Bryan gave me this site, and it has SAVED my computer. I can have a wallpaper now<3
“I always wonder why birds choose to stay in the same place when they can fly anywhere on the earth, then I ask myself the same question.”

― Harun Yahya
Jason
Legendary

Unread postby James » Tue Oct 31, 2006 4:11 pm

There are some data recovery utilities that can actually <i>undelete</i> data, but after a full system recovery, depending on whether you chose the quick or full format, it may be hard to recover many readable files.

Ezekiel wrote:Wow. If you have any spyware problems, go there and download Spybot - Search and Destroy […]

Odds are you have other problems on your computer too.
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby James » Mon Nov 06, 2006 4:13 pm

Hahah…
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RSnxI58 ... ed&search=

See also: homestarrunner.com
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Adam » Sun Feb 04, 2007 10:57 pm

Annoying problem I had to solve manually:

There was a folder in my Application Data folder that had 4 files in it; 3 executables and 1 txt (I think, it was a document type file anyway), I didn't look at the exact names but I recall one of them being "SENDMAGS.exe" then there was some "CDROMD~1.exe" (only saw it in taskmanager so I dunno the full name) and another one I didn't read.
Spybot and Ad-Aware both missed it completely, as did my daily virus scan with the Yahoo/SBC antivirus thingy.
It was listed in the registry under CD burning (somewhere in the microsoft/software area, I suck with registry entries :P ).

What it seemed to do was incessantly load IE (without IE actually being a fully active program), the two files I mentioned were the causes as whenever I forced IE shut in taskmanager they would pop up for a split second before another IE loaded.

I see a few other odd files that none of these anti/virus/etc. programs seem to have noticed, some 'CDRom dummy', I'm not sure what the hell it is.
Could it be part of a normal program I installed and isn't even some sort of issue?
I only ask because "CDRom dummy" sounds like it may have something to do with that CDROMD~1 thing.
Adam
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Kristina » Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:37 pm

I'd recommend Mcaffee for anyone with any type of viruses. I've recently had a trojan, and didnt know about it. Mcaffee found it and zapped it with no questions asked. Mcaffee also keeps logs of people pinging you, and lets you see the estimated path they followed to get to your computer. Mcaffee keeps logs of almost everything you can imagine as well.

You'd be surprised just how many people try to get into your computer a day.
Kristina
Certified Zombie Killer Harlequin

Unread postby Adam » Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:53 am

Eh, McAfee isn't worth paying for, like 90% of people I talk to and things I read say; McAfee blows.
I've had better luck with freeware crap than I ever did with McAfee.
As for the firewall, it actually seems decent.
Adam
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Kristina » Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:17 am

Adam Sisemore wrote:Eh, McAfee isn't worth paying for, like 90% of people I talk to and things I read say; McAfee blows.
I've had better luck with freeware crap than I ever did with McAfee.
As for the firewall, it actually seems decent.

Mcaffee's been doing pretty well for me. . .I've had three trojans and an assload of tracking cookies. . .and McAffee's taken care of them all.

mabye people dont like you.

oops! I meant that maybe McAffee dosen't like you! :D

i kid, i kid!
Kristina

PreviousNext

Return to Foreign Kingdoms