Virus Warnings & Assistance

Website, internet, technology, and computer resources, discussion and assistance.

Re: Virus Warnings & Assistance

Unread postby Ranbir » Sat May 17, 2008 10:50 pm

It was from the manual scan (which is still running, on the larger partition now) so it was dealt with automatically. I'll have to try and pick up something from the net to get a notification.
"The imaginary number is a fine and wonderful resource of the human spirit, almost an amphibian between being and not being." - Gottfried Leibniz
Science snobbery.
Ranbir
For Queen and Country

Unread postby James » Sat May 17, 2008 10:51 pm

It was a very memorable experience. You sort of feel like the world is going to be destroyed in short order if you don't attend to the threat right away. Blake has introduced me to the angry red eye on a few occasions.
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Ranbir » Sat May 17, 2008 10:57 pm

The scan log is very interesting.

The files I download from Gamersgate (Digital distribution platform) got marked as "error - password protected file". That's a shame but I don't expect them to get anything evil in them and they'd probably be scanned when the installation of those files take place.

Also, apparently, a fair few archives (of whatever files) are damaged! :o

Edit: Dunno why, given my memory of 2.7 is really hazy, but I don't get the feeling I'm getting as much info as I used to.
"The imaginary number is a fine and wonderful resource of the human spirit, almost an amphibian between being and not being." - Gottfried Leibniz
Science snobbery.
Ranbir
For Queen and Country

Unread postby Ranbir » Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:51 pm

Have you upgraded to 4.0?
Science snobbery.
Ranbir
For Queen and Country

Unread postby James » Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:43 pm

Ranbir wrote:Have you upgraded to 4.0?

Of Nod32? I haven't put much thought into it as these days I'm only using it when booted into my Windows XP design testing environment. Now that you've mentioned it, I'll have a look! My work computer is Windows XP as well, and right now I don't even have anti-virus running on it. Not some proud claim, that. I've had to remove two viruses from the computer which I got on separate occasions while simply researching things for my job (one, amazingly, even while browsing through Chrome--that one caught me by surprise).

I just don't want to spend my money while they're dragging their feet about buying basic Antivirus software (they think it's a scam). Funny how they pay me enough in one day to buy five years of a subscription, and that they've paid me about two days worth of work to remove viruses which have landed on my machine despite being careful.
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Ranbir » Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:12 pm

4.0 has a much nicer interface. Similar to 3 but provides a lot more detail. A throwback to the 2.x.
Science snobbery.
Ranbir
For Queen and Country

Unread postby James » Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:30 pm

Ranbir wrote:4.0 has a much nicer interface. Similar to 3 but provides a lot more detail. A throwback to the 2.x.

That's great news, then! I liked the aesthetics of the 3.0 interface, but I really felt it had been oversimplified. I always ran it in the 'advanced' mode because of this. To combine the two would be great.
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Adam » Sun Sep 20, 2009 5:27 am

Two weird things (one probably not so much).

1. Found a file called net.net running in my processes (subsequently got rid of it as I have no clue what it is)...wondering if anyone knows what it might be from, forgot to look at the directory before I got rid of the file -.-
Googling it results in a lot of unrelated junk I don't feel like sifting through.

2. mshta.exe was running about 8 times on my computer, apparently its an "essential process" but I've never seen it run before on my computer and running about 8 times seems a bit odd.
Only thing I can think of is the fact that I was opening Opera about 8 times because it refused to open...I don't use Opera much so I dunno what exactly goes on there :P

Edit: Weird, somehow managed to get one of those fake anti-virus programs installed on my computer as well...haven't downloaded anything nor have I gone to any different websites lately.
-亚当
Adam
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Ranbir » Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:42 am

I hear AVIRA is the hottest thing these days in anti-virus.

Anyone use it?
Science snobbery.
Ranbir
For Queen and Country

Unread postby James » Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:27 pm

Still using Nod32. Malware Byte's Anti-Malware program has caught my attention. It seems like it is used in all sorts of cases as the go-to program for removing an already-existing malware infection. Unfortunately, unlike years ago, my first-hand experience dealing with malware is limited to whatever I manage to infect my work computer with, or whatever a close friend or family member manages to infect their own computer with.
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

PreviousNext

Return to Foreign Kingdoms