Computer Assistance Thread

Website, internet, technology, and computer resources, discussion and assistance.

Unread postby James » Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:13 am

HuangGaiTheGreat wrote:Couldn't have said it better myself James. As far as the WORM_GAOBOT.DF issue goes, do a disk defragmention or disk cleanup, that may perhaps work but maybe not. Worth a try eh'?

Disk Defragmenter doesn’t do anything but move data around on the HDD to make it more accessible. Disk Cleanup, last I checked, just looks for caches and temp files, and tosses ’em away, which wouldn’t help, but I suppose it wouldn’t hurt running just to see what it accomplishes. I’ve already run CCleaner and Registry Mechanic to no avail.

HuangGaiTheGreat wrote:However, in doing so would probably require you to buy a better CPU and ram to get all the performance out of a high end video card like that and in turn you'd have to also buy a better MoBo so your basicly building a whole new computer system.

Ezekiel, HuangGaiTheGreat is talking about making an awesome gaming computer here, but it probably isn’t something you even need to consider. The machine you have right now is a very wonderful machine for basically every use, including gaming once you give it a better graphics card. If you want to run some of the latest greatest games at high resolution, with a wonderful FPS, with all the bells and whistles, get a really good video card (along the lines of what HGtG mentioned above). If you want to play them at a lower resolution, or are content to use good settings (just not maxed out) to get a very smooth frame rate, a moderately-priced graphics card should be all you really need (note, though, that jumping from $160 to $250 can yield great results in high-end gaming).

You have a lot of hard drive space (more than enough for nearly everybody) and more RAM than most people will be using for a long time to come (upgrade only down the road as necessity dictates, or for video/high end photo editing, or for high end gaming). Your processor is great as well for nearly all use.

In short, you’ve got yourself a fine machine, once you upgrade your graphics.
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Jason » Thu Aug 10, 2006 2:53 am

So...could you suggest a specific graphics card? I really want to enjoy Guild Wars. I suppose I am willing to spend $300 or leff.

You guys really know your stuff, so, name the best in that range?
“I always wonder why birds choose to stay in the same place when they can fly anywhere on the earth, then I ask myself the same question.”

― Harun Yahya
Jason
Legendary

Unread postby James » Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:33 pm

That question is probably best answered by HuangGaiTheGreat.
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby HuangGaiTheGreat » Sat Aug 12, 2006 4:06 am

Sorry, I was away at my sisters baby sitting for 3 days because she was having surgery. I suppose your right James about the disk defragmention suggestion, however I'd still give that disk cleanup a try. As for your video card question Ezekiel, I stand by the Radeon 1800xt or Geforce 7900 for top of the line gaming cards. However, the question here is; what are you looking for in your computer? Do you want to run max settings on games such as Doom 3 and F.E.A.R or are you content with a computer that will run games on medium settings? I am aware of the fact that you said your willing to spend 300$ on a video card but the issue is if your going to blow that much money on a video card, you're going to have to pretty much build a new system to get all of the performance out of a high end video card like that. You could spend 300$ on a top end video card with your current setup, but I'm here to tell you, you won't be spending your money wisely. My solution for keeping your current setup is getting an x800GTO. If you are going for top of the line gaming, you had might as well go all the way. Imo, your best bet is keeping your current setup seeing as you like to play Guild Wars and getting that x800GTO, although I'm all ears if you wish to create a new build. :D
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." --Abraham Lincoln
"It is only by not trusting that you turn someone into a liar." --Tao Le Ching
HuangGaiTheGreat
Assistant

Unread postby Jason » Sat Sep 16, 2006 9:50 pm

So, i have a song saved onto my computer. Is there any way to transfer it to my cell phone? It's the Naruto battle theme, it be a great ringtone.
“I always wonder why birds choose to stay in the same place when they can fly anywhere on the earth, then I ask myself the same question.”

― Harun Yahya
Jason
Legendary

Unread postby cresentdragon92 » Sun Sep 17, 2006 8:37 pm

Ezekiel wrote:So, i have a song saved onto my computer. Is there any way to transfer it to my cell phone? It's the Naruto battle theme, it be a great ringtone.

http://rumkin.com/tools/sprint/index.php use this link, but i would reccomend for sprint users only because i get lost at the part where it tells me to enter my sms email adress.
Your epidermis is showing.
cresentdragon92
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Jason » Mon Sep 18, 2006 12:43 am

I have sprint!!! Thank you!

The naruto battle theme is all mine!

Um....says the file is too big, who knows how to cut down an audio file? I toned down the quality, and its half the size. Its like 1:30 long....I think I want it to 30 seconds. Can anyone help?

― Harun Yahya
Jason
Legendary

Unread postby cresentdragon92 » Tue Sep 19, 2006 4:18 am

I think they have a program that does that but I forgot what its called, someone might have to google it.
Your epidermis is showing.
cresentdragon92
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Adam » Tue Sep 19, 2006 4:33 pm

OK, I'm considering (finally) upgrading my connection from this wonderous dial-up.
What do I need to do to get a ADSL modem put in?
I can get the thing for free, but I don't wanna pay installation fees to install it.
and on a slightly different note, do I require some sort of special line to be put in?

ADSL not regular DSL, just so no one thinks I typoed :P
Adam
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Kongming's Prodigy » Fri Sep 22, 2006 7:24 am

I think DSL is divided into ADSL and SDSL, the latter being the better of the two. To install it, connect the DSL plugs into your wall's phone jack, plugging your original phone line into the DSL plug. Then connect the DSL line from the wall plug to your modem, and an ethernet cable from the modem to your computer. Run the software from your DSL provider to activate the internet connection.
[Current System]
Intel Core i7 920 @ 3.63 GHz
EVGA Geforce GTX 770 @ 1241/3906 MHz
Gigabyte EX58-UD3R Motherboard
6GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 Triple Channel
500GB Hitachi 7200RPM
700W Cooler Master UCP
Cooler Master HAF 922 Chassis
Kongming's Prodigy
The Dragon Awakened

PreviousNext

Return to Foreign Kingdoms