Computer Assistance Thread

Website, internet, technology, and computer resources, discussion and assistance.

Unread postby Rhiannon » Sun Mar 16, 2003 6:32 am

Augh, WHL, you said the dreaded word reformat! :wahh: What's bothering me mostly about them is that there's no reason for them to be bugging out...I can't think of anything that I've installed that would have messed with the usual drivers.

Reformats usually take me 3 days to complete...because nothing ever works right afterwards.
"For us to have self-esteem is truly an act of revolution and our revolution is long overdue."
— Margaret Cho
Rhiannon
Joy & Oblivion
Joy & Oblivion

Unread postby Iznoach, Legendary Dragon » Sun Mar 16, 2003 6:49 am

Wan Hung Lo wrote:screw the reinstall get a copy of windows 2000 or XP and install that instead. Even get windows 98 which is better then 95.

I'll actually entertain that notion, because like Wild-Eyes said, the guy who sold me my comp didn't give me the CD for Win 95 :x , but: I've been told that my computer won't support those OS's. You seem to be pretty on the ball with this shite, so can ya tell me? I'd like to know before I shell out the cheese on those...

Here's my specs once again: 200Mhz processor, 1.5Gb HD, 96Mb RAM :x :x
"Armed and dangerous, ain't too many can hang wit us
straight up weed no angel dust, label us Notorious..."--Biggie
Iznoach, Legendary Dragon
Gunslinger

Unread postby Stuart » Sun Mar 16, 2003 7:07 am

Iznoach, Legendary Dragon wrote:
Here's my specs once again: 200Mhz processor, 1.5Gb HD, 96Mb RAM :x :x

hmm, from here you don't seem to need much to install windows XP. Another 32Mb RAM chip. I also think it is possible to buy an upgrade to make your Processor faster, I'll see if i can find a link to one on the net. But beware!! upgrades never ever ever go to plan :lol:

Windows XP does away with the dreaded blue screen of death :)
Stuart
The Shining One

Unread postby Justin » Mon Mar 17, 2003 3:25 am

your hardware should run windows 98 just fine. I don't have a clean win98 install CD I can part with. I have tried and tried to burn it it but it never seems to work. You should be able to pick one up for cheap off eBay I think.
My Website

My Blog

The Dungeon

Trouble maker extraordinaire!
Justin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Iznoach, Legendary Dragon » Fri May 30, 2003 7:23 am

Hello all! I have another one of my crazy questions, and it's kinda hard to explain. Please bear with me, so without further ado...

*My computer at work is running Windows Professional (?). When we just had Win 95, if you clicked "back" on IE, it would automatically refresh the page you were going back to. Example: I'm on the SGYY Forum page here, then click back to the index, and it would automatically update which users are on line now, rather than the ones that were online last time I was on this page...along with updating the rest of the new info. Now, with Professional, it doesn't do that....and I have to manually refresh each time :x . I'd like to know how to change my settings so that it automatically refreshes webpages. Thanks in advance :)
Gunslinger

Unread postby Stuart » Fri May 30, 2003 8:06 am

It seems to me like this is because of the way that Internet explorer caches web pages. When you visit a web page, a copy of it is stored on your hard disk. Then whenever you visit that page again, it does fetch the page from the internet but reads it from the computer. This means that pages you have visited load substancially faster. (If this is not happening now compared to what used to then this is probably not the case) So, when you click the back button, it will read the page from the cache instead of the internet. To stop this you have to go to advanced internet options and turn off the cache, if you are on a network this will not be possible. It will however mean that pages you visit regularly will load alot slower
Stuart
The Shining One

Unread postby Iznoach, Legendary Dragon » Fri May 30, 2003 8:16 am

I don't know if that's the case, because before with Win95, it loaded at about the same speed, and it stored cookies, but they were refreshed automatically. And I am on a network, so I guess it's not possible anyway.
Gunslinger

Unread postby Seven at One Stroke » Sat May 31, 2003 3:44 pm

Iznoach, Legendary Dragon wrote:I don't know if that's the case, because before with Win95, it loaded at about the same speed, and it stored cookies, but they were refreshed automatically. And I am on a network, so I guess it's not possible anyway.

Check the Tools menu, Internet Option, and in the Temporary Internet File section, click on Setting. Change the 'How often to check for new version of stored files' to your liking. I hope this helps.
Moderation in pursuit of actual work is no vice.
Seven at One Stroke
Sei's Slave

Unread postby Iznoach, Legendary Dragon » Sun Jun 01, 2003 9:19 pm

The Yellow Dwarf wrote:Check the Tools menu, Internet Option, and in the Temporary Internet File section, click on Setting. Change the 'How often to check for new version of stored files' to your liking. I hope this helps.

Yes! That was exactly what I was looking for, and it's working like a charm! Thank you :D
Gunslinger

Unread postby Stuart » Sat Jun 07, 2003 5:24 pm

After Upgrading to Windows XP, my computer will no longer play dvds, no matter what player software i use. Can someone please give me a link to a patch or something?
Stuart
The Shining One

PreviousNext

Return to Foreign Kingdoms