Computer Assistance Thread

Website, internet, technology, and computer resources, discussion and assistance.

Unread postby Rhiannon » Sat Feb 01, 2003 6:23 pm

Yeesh. Okay, boot up today reveals the following:
run=c:\windows\srv32.exe
was put into my Win.ini and startup. This was after I deleted out a few lines of the win.ini file that had the virus runs still in them, but disabled.

I've got about 5 different versions of Opas this morning too.
Alevir.exe, Brasil.Pif, Marco!.scr, and instit.bat are the four files that ended up being shown as infected through AVG, and so I've cleaned them out and deleted them. Taskman shows nothing. :roll:

Is srv32.exe what I need to get rid of then?

*Edit to also say, it's marked as a hidden Archive that was created this morning and modified on Jan 01 1970...heheh.
"For us to have self-esteem is truly an act of revolution and our revolution is long overdue."
— Margaret Cho
Rhiannon
Joy & Oblivion
Joy & Oblivion

Unread postby Justin » Sat Feb 01, 2003 10:15 pm

Wild-Eyes wrote:Yeesh. Okay, boot up today reveals the following:
run=c:\windows\srv32.exe
was put into my Win.ini and startup. This was after I deleted out a few lines of the win.ini file that had the virus runs still in them, but disabled.

I've got about 5 different versions of Opas this morning too.
Alevir.exe, Brasil.Pif, Marco!.scr, and instit.bat are the four files that ended up being shown as infected through AVG, and so I've cleaned them out and deleted them. Taskman shows nothing. :roll:

Is srv32.exe what I need to get rid of then?

*Edit to also say, it's marked as a hidden Archive that was created this morning and modified on Jan 01 1970...heheh.

Yes kill that file, make it deader then dead and see if that helps the problem.
My Website

My Blog

The Dungeon

Trouble maker extraordinaire!
Justin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Rhiannon » Sat Feb 01, 2003 11:06 pm

Done and done. Let's hope it works. Odd enough, Symantec's Opas Cleaner never picked up that file, nor the tmp.ini the Opaserv worms create. Yeesh. Thanks though, WHL. :)
"For us to have self-esteem is truly an act of revolution and our revolution is long overdue."
— Margaret Cho
Rhiannon
Joy & Oblivion
Joy & Oblivion

Unread postby Justin » Sun Feb 02, 2003 12:24 am

Wild-Eyes wrote:Done and done. Let's hope it works. Odd enough, Symantec's Opas Cleaner never picked up that file, nor the tmp.ini the Opaserv worms create. Yeesh. Thanks though, WHL. :)

You are very welcome, I hope it cleans up the problem 8-)

I have had several problems like this in the past. While troublesome they ususally don't infect ALL the files on your hard drive and if found can be erased. I once got this worm off Kazaa that was a nightmare to track down. I had to hunt through all of the folders in my windows dir to find all the files grr...
My Website

My Blog

The Dungeon

Justin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Iznoach, Legendary Dragon » Fri Mar 14, 2003 5:39 am

Hello all. Here I am once again with a problem on my ancient computer. It seems so simple, but I just can't figure out what's missing. Anyway, here goes: I can't get my "D" drive to play CD's anymore. When I put in a CD, an error message pops up saying "Unable to locate 'Program.exe'". I have no idea what this is talking about, but I figure it has something to do with WMP, so I try to open that. (Btw, I'm using Windows Media Player 2, version 6.4, Windows 95 :x ). Anyway, when I try to play the CD on that, a different message pops up: "Does not support that file type". Well, I check my settings and indeed it does support that file type, so wtf? Can anyone help? If not, I suppose I should just delete my windows media player, and reinstall it, but that might not be the problem (I'm illiterate :? ) Thanks in advance...
"Armed and dangerous, ain't too many can hang wit us
straight up weed no angel dust, label us Notorious..."--Biggie
Iznoach, Legendary Dragon
Gunslinger

Unread postby Stuart » Fri Mar 14, 2003 8:01 am

I had a problem like that with my cd drive, it wouldn't play any cds at all so i just bought a new one. It might be a bit expensive but it worked for me
Stuart
The Shining One

Unread postby Rhiannon » Sun Mar 16, 2003 3:27 am

You could also try reinstalling Win 95, Iznoach, I remember doing that several times before we upgraded to 98, when programs went suddenly corrupt.

Anyone got a clue for what to do about random VXD errors? They seem to only happen when I'm online, but they don't have any apparent triggers -- sometimes it's in the middle of downloading a file (only happens with particular files, and if I try to download that file again, it will trigger on the same byte of transfer). But it's also been when I'm not doing any active internet activities; I just had one this evening where I was editing a post and hadn't done any activity for a few minutes, and I got a black screen blink out twice, followed by a VXD error. The VXD errors then cause a mem leak which leads to eventual lock up if I don't reboot.

I hate blue screens of death...
— Margaret Cho
Rhiannon
Joy & Oblivion
Joy & Oblivion

Unread postby Iznoach, Legendary Dragon » Sun Mar 16, 2003 4:03 am

Wild-Eyes wrote:You could also try reinstalling Win 95, Iznoach, I remember doing that several times before we upgraded to 98, when programs went suddenly corrupt.

Okay, I have a few queries before I attempt that. I've never done that before...

*Basically, if I reinstall Win 95, will everything I have be erased?
*Will I have to reinstall/download all the programs I have?
*When I first got my comp, it was already installed for me, so how do I go about it?
*If I reinstall Win 95, will it restore default settings to everything on my comp?

Once again, thanks :)
"Armed and dangerous, ain't too many can hang wit us
straight up weed no angel dust, label us Notorious..."--Biggie
Iznoach, Legendary Dragon
Gunslinger

Unread postby Rhiannon » Sun Mar 16, 2003 5:51 am

Try what I call a soft reinstall first. That's just reinstalling Win95 over itself, so just rewrites over current files. (Hard reinstall on the other hand would be deleting your Win95 directory).

With a soft reinstall:
* Nothing will be erased that you have, not even anything saved to the desktop. Some settings will be reset, but no files lost.
* You won't have to reinstall/redownload any current programs.
* You'd soft reinstall by finding your Win 95 disc and telling it to install components. If you don't have that disc...well, lemme tell you how loud I grumble about companies who give you an OS but not the CD for it. -_-
* Default settings for anything related to Windows will return.

If you hard reinstalled, the answers would be a lot worse, haha. I just recently did a hard reinstall and forgot to save what I'd saved straight to my desktop... :cry:
— Margaret Cho
Rhiannon
Joy & Oblivion
Joy & Oblivion

Unread postby Justin » Sun Mar 16, 2003 6:18 am

screw the reinstall get a copy of windows 2000 or XP and install that instead. Even get windows 98 which is better then 95. VXD errors are parts of the OS that regulate drivers I recall. That is bad juju and could lead to a reinstall of the OS and a format of the hard drive. No one likes their hard drive formatted...well maybe I do :wink:
My Website

My Blog

The Dungeon

Justin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to Foreign Kingdoms