Computer Assistance Thread

Website, internet, technology, and computer resources, discussion and assistance.

Re: Computer Assistance Thread

Unread postby James » Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:44 pm

Uninstall and then reinstall?

And why on earth Opera?
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Adam » Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:56 pm

James wrote:Uninstall and then reinstall?

And why on earth Opera?

Already tried that, same issues.

I gave up on Chrome for personal reasons...Firefox used to be alright but it started eating up memory even with only one tab...IE eats up my CPU like crazy, and I just plain dislike it...whenever I started Safari my internet connection would slow to a crawl until I restarted my computer (it didn't matter if I even uninstalled it, and I could find nothing running that wasn't already running)...so it was pretty much my only option left, I don't really care for it that much, it seems to be incredibly buggy on pages that use scripts, and just plain obnoxious.

May just end up going back to Chrome despite my disgust with it since it at least worked and didn't have any major negative effects on my computer.
-亚当
Adam
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby James » Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:19 pm

If you're having all kinds of weird problems like this it might be time to do a clean install of Windows. You shouldn't be having so many problems. If you're short on RAM, upgrade your RAM. What personal reasons do you have against Chrome? I don't really care for Google anymore—they're showing more and more with time just how little they care about customers beyond serving as products—but Chrome on Windows is fast, consistent, and reliable.
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Sang » Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:55 am

Hello,

I have a Emachines T5274, OS is Vista 32 bit and I'm having a tough time looking for the 6to4 Adapter driver. I need it to connect to the Internet. Will anyone give me a suggestion or a link to download that driver? I looked/downloaded in various websites but it didn't work.

Thank you for your help.
Gao Shun & Cheng Lian, you have my prayers!

Sun Tzu: “Knows thy enemy, knows thyself and victory is never in doubt, not in a hundred battles.”

Sun Tzu: “A vanquished state cannot be revived; the dead cannot be brought back to life.”
Sang
Changshi

Unread postby TooMuchBaijiu » Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:08 am

Hunting for a router. Saw a good one...but it's refurbished. Seller's rated as reliable...Think I should go for it?
I don't write fanfic, but if I did it would involve Zhou Yu and Zheng He fighting to win the heart of Lai Choi San. Then I'd make them join forces to fight Ming the Merciless, who secretly works for Master Li. I'd squeeze Lu Bu in there somehow.
TooMuchBaijiu
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby laojim » Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:24 am

James wrote:Uninstall and then reinstall?

And why on earth Opera?

I found Opera to be reliable and the best integrated system around. I like getting the email without having to open another program as seems to be the case with Firefox. Thunderbird has a setup routine for the accounts which doesn't work well with my ISP so that you have to install with a false name and then go back and change some of the names. It took hours to figure that out.

I do find that a new install of Firefox on a new 64 bit Windows machine gets complaints about wanting too much memory. It still works, but I do get messages about it.
laojim
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby James » Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:58 pm

Sang wrote:Hello,

I have a Emachines T5274, OS is Vista 32 bit and I'm having a tough time looking for the 6to4 Adapter driver. I need it to connect to the Internet. Will anyone give me a suggestion or a link to download that driver? I looked/downloaded in various websites but it didn't work.

Thank you for your help.

Have you checked the eMachines website? I don't know what a 6to4 Adapter driver is.

TooMuchBaijiu wrote:Hunting for a router. Saw a good one...but it's refurbished. Seller's rated as reliable...Think I should go for it?

What type of router is it? Some of them you would not want to purchase as a refurbished product. For example, I'd be very careful with certain refurbished Linksys products. How much do you care about your internet service, speed, and reliability? I couldn't recommend anything more than the Apple AirPort Extreme (regardless of what computers you have on a network). It is a fantastic device, but it is also expensive.

laojim wrote:I found Opera to be reliable and the best integrated system around. [...]

Interesting. Thank you. I've tried it a few times and I can't stand it, so I like to know why other people like it. Part of that is probably that I like my browser to handle internet browsing only as the other stuff starts to bloat the product. There are some diehard Opera fans out there, though, who absolutely love the product.

laojim wrote:I do find that a new install of Firefox on a new 64 bit Windows machine gets complaints about wanting too much memory. It still works, but I do get messages about it.

Firefox has become so bloated...

And it's a shame, because it used to be one fantastic, lean browser.
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby TooMuchBaijiu » Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:38 pm

James wrote:What type of router is it? Some of them you would not want to purchase as a refurbished product. For example, I'd be very careful with certain refurbished Linksys products. How much do you care about your internet service, speed, and reliability? I couldn't recommend anything more than the Apple AirPort Extreme (regardless of what computers you have on a network). It is a fantastic device, but it is also expensive.

It's a Netgear, a "home theater connection kit" or something like that. Supposed to be high speed, which is definitely what I'm looking for. And the refurbished product is about 60% the price.
I don't write fanfic, but if I did it would involve Zhou Yu and Zheng He fighting to win the heart of Lai Choi San. Then I'd make them join forces to fight Ming the Merciless, who secretly works for Master Li. I'd squeeze Lu Bu in there somehow.
TooMuchBaijiu
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby James » Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:22 am

Is this the router with the hardware to transmit network data through the home's electrical system? What is the model number of the router you are looking at? Or a link? (You can send a PM if you like).

I'm not sure how familiar you are with these products. Do you know what specifications you're looking for? If you're not certain, that might not be quite what you're looking for. What do you want this hardware to do for you (in terms of basic capabilities, such as ethernet ports, wireless, etc.)? If you care about wireless, how many square feet do you want to cover? Where will the router be located relative to the home?
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Sang » Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:09 am

James wrote:Have you checked the eMachines website? I don't know what a 6to4 Adapter driver is.

Yes, I have. I think I need that driver to connect to the Internet. I deleted that driver in my Device Manager and tried to reinstall that driver in Device Manager, when done downloading it, it didn't appears in the Device Manager even if I restarted the PC. Did I do something wrong? I can connect to the Internet with this PC I am using at the moment but not with that Emachines T5274. :?
Gao Shun & Cheng Lian, you have my prayers!

Sun Tzu: “Knows thy enemy, knows thyself and victory is never in doubt, not in a hundred battles.”

Sun Tzu: “A vanquished state cannot be revived; the dead cannot be brought back to life.”
Sang
Changshi

PreviousNext

Return to Foreign Kingdoms