Computer Assistance Thread

Website, internet, technology, and computer resources, discussion and assistance.

Unread postby Mystpounder » Sun Jan 26, 2003 8:57 pm

This could also be because you have too many things running at the same time. You should go to start<run<msconfig

YOU HAVE TO TYPE IN msconfig.

Click the startup tab and check off the things you dont want.
1 man.........1 sword............1 death.
Mystpounder
Langzhong

Unread postby Wen Choung » Mon Jan 27, 2003 6:12 am

I found this great forum for computer problems.

http://www.cybertechhelp.com

But of course, you need to register.
Wen Choung
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Iznoach, Legendary Dragon » Fri Jan 31, 2003 5:29 am

Okay gentleman (and ladies), I have another problem with my P.O.S. Whenever I hit a key that is designated for another function (example: win+r=bring up run screen), it automatically brings up the little function and doesn't type in the letter, without me pushing the other key (i.e. WIN key). I tried the site WHL put up, but there's nothing there dealing with my issue. I checked the keyboard properties, but I can't find a place to turn this annoying thing off. Can someone help?

EDIT: my I.S. person told me to disconnect my keyboard, then reconnect and reboot. This worked wonderfully...
Last edited by Iznoach, Legendary Dragon on Fri Jan 31, 2003 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Armed and dangerous, ain't too many can hang wit us
straight up weed no angel dust, label us Notorious..."--Biggie
Iznoach, Legendary Dragon
Gunslinger

Unread postby Stuart » Fri Jan 31, 2003 8:18 am

Try turning sticky keys on or off. or maybe you just have to click on the input box.

P.S does anyone know the screen dump shortcut key for windows XP (if it exsists)?
Stuart
The Shining One

Unread postby Justin » Sat Feb 01, 2003 12:04 am

Alpha_Beta wrote:Try turning sticky keys on or off. or maybe you just have to click on the input box.

P.S does anyone know the screen dump shortcut key for windows XP (if it exsists)?

I believe it's the print screen key...
My Website

My Blog

The Dungeon

Trouble maker extraordinaire!
Justin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Rhiannon » Sat Feb 01, 2003 2:50 am

How about this:

For about 3 months (at least) now, I've been getting viruses about 2-3 times a week. This is the wierd part:

1. I run a virus scanner non stop.
2. I run Black Ice (firewall) non stop.
3. My only email is through hotmail's web service. Thus, all my downloads are scanned ahead of time, plus are also scanned after download.
4. I'm on a home network, but the only other computer connected is also running virus software and is not infected with any viruses.

The only guess I have is that a) someone/thing knows how to get past all the junk I have running and is plopping worms on me (they're mostly Opas, A and B), or b) I have some sort of virus-generating thing on my computer.

Anyone?
"For us to have self-esteem is truly an act of revolution and our revolution is long overdue."
— Margaret Cho
Rhiannon
Joy & Oblivion
Joy & Oblivion

Unread postby Justin » Sat Feb 01, 2003 3:19 am

Wild-Eyes wrote:How about this:

For about 3 months (at least) now, I've been getting viruses about 2-3 times a week. This is the wierd part:

1. I run a virus scanner non stop.
2. I run Black Ice (firewall) non stop.
3. My only email is through hotmail's web service. Thus, all my downloads are scanned ahead of time, plus are also scanned after download.
4. I'm on a home network, but the only other computer connected is also running virus software and is not infected with any viruses.

The only guess I have is that a) someone/thing knows how to get past all the junk I have running and is plopping worms on me (they're mostly Opas, A and B), or b) I have some sort of virus-generating thing on my computer.

Anyone?

what does your computer do that makes you think it's a virus? Many times it's not a virus or even worse there are lots of viruses that don't get picked up by virus scanner. I wrote a virus that norton didn't pick up. Please give more details.
My Website

My Blog

The Dungeon

Justin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Rhiannon » Sat Feb 01, 2003 4:18 am

Wan Hung Lo wrote:what does your computer do that makes you think it's a virus? Many times it's not a virus or even worse there are lots of viruses that don't get picked up by virus scanner. I wrote a virus that norton didn't pick up. Please give more details.

AVG (my virus software) will come up with the virus. Sometimes I'll also boot up and get an error message telling me "(file) cannot be loaded, do you wish to continue?" -- where file is the worm file that's been added to my config.

When I go and check my win.ini and startup through msconfig, there's always a line added that I have to disable.

The three main ones I have gotten (all Opas.a or Opas.B) have installed the following files:

C:\Windows\Instit.bat
C:\Windows\Scrsvr.exe
C:\Windows\Marco!.scr

I ran an Opas system cleaner once or twice too, but I still keep getting reinfected. I've also had funlove ONCE, but only once and I blamed it on not having Zone Alarm (my previous firewall system) up. And on rare occassions, Dnet will pop up.

I'm also running Win 98, IE 5.1x, Trillian, AVG and Blackice (which I mentioned earlier). Can't see anything else that would affect things here.
"For us to have self-esteem is truly an act of revolution and our revolution is long overdue."
— Margaret Cho
Rhiannon
Joy & Oblivion
Joy & Oblivion

Unread postby Justin » Sat Feb 01, 2003 4:37 am

Wild-Eyes wrote:
Wan Hung Lo wrote:what does your computer do that makes you think it's a virus? Many times it's not a virus or even worse there are lots of viruses that don't get picked up by virus scanner. I wrote a virus that norton didn't pick up. Please give more details.

AVG (my virus software) will come up with the virus. Sometimes I'll also boot up and get an error message telling me "(file) cannot be loaded, do you wish to continue?" -- where file is the worm file that's been added to my config.

When I go and check my win.ini and startup through msconfig, there's always a line added that I have to disable.

The three main ones I have gotten (all Opas.a or Opas.B) have installed the following files:

C:\Windows\Instit.bat
C:\Windows\Scrsvr.exe
C:\Windows\Marco!.scr

I ran an Opas system cleaner once or twice too, but I still keep getting reinfected. I've also had funlove ONCE, but only once and I blamed it on not having Zone Alarm (my previous firewall system) up. And on rare occassions, Dnet will pop up.

I'm also running Win 98, IE 5.1x, Trillian, AVG and Blackice (which I mentioned earlier). Can't see anything else that would affect things here.

Ok somewhere there is a file that is reinstalling all of these original files on your computer and it's happening somewhere in the bootup. Look in your startup folder and windows system folder for any programs that shouldn't be there. If you don't know which program is doing this I would try this. Clean up your win.ini, autoexec.bat, and config.sys files. Make sure only what you need is in those files. Then restart your computer and don't run any applications. Look in your task manager and see what processes are running. There's a good chance the malicious program will be in there somewhere. Find it and delete the original file, with any luck you will get rid off it. WIth bad luck you will need to an fdisk on your boot sector and reformat your hard drive.

PS uninstall black ice its pure garbage.
My Website

My Blog

The Dungeon

Justin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Rhiannon » Sat Feb 01, 2003 7:16 am

Wan Hung Lo wrote:Ok somewhere there is a file that is reinstalling all of these original files on your computer and it's happening somewhere in the bootup. Look in your startup folder and windows system folder for any programs that shouldn't be there. If you don't know which program is doing this I would try this. Clean up your win.ini, autoexec.bat, and config.sys files. Make sure only what you need is in those files. Then restart your computer and don't run any applications. Look in your task manager and see what processes are running. There's a good chance the malicious program will be in there somewhere. Find it and delete the original file, with any luck you will get rid off it. WIth bad luck you will need to an fdisk on your boot sector and reformat your hard drive.

PS uninstall black ice its pure garbage.

I've done so, but I'm not finding anything. I'm not infected at the moment, but I'm sure that doesn't play a part in finding such a file. Hmm. That mean I've got to FDisk? I hate doing that...

Heh, yeah, ZA and BI were only because I had no clue why I was getting virus warnings every day, and it was the only preventative measure I knew how to make at the time. That, and dad hooked up a rather crazy computer to the network for a while with some other funny virus problems that kept trying to infect the network. :roll:
— Margaret Cho
Rhiannon
Joy & Oblivion
Joy & Oblivion

PreviousNext

Return to Foreign Kingdoms