Computer Assistance Thread

Website, internet, technology, and computer resources, discussion and assistance.

Unread postby Catalyst » Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:52 pm

Here's one for anyone who can figure it out:

Recently, my hard drives been coming unplugged. Not "unplugged" completely, but to the point where the computer won't detect it. Most of the time it's when I'm on, and it'll just crash, and on reboot, it goes straight to BIOS. Any ideas on what to do?

On another note, I've had to reformat recently, because SP2 screwed over my computer. Well, it did it again. It has a problem where it causes the Generic Host Process for Win32 to crash, pretty much killing a good chunk of my system. I tried the fix for it (released by M$), but that didn't work. Any ideas? Should I go download the patch from someone else, or is there any genius fix sitting around with some of our local geniuses? Thanks!
Catalyst
Apostle of Peace

Unread postby James » Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:23 pm

As for the hard drive, it it actually becoming physically disconnected? If so, get some electric tape and tape the thing to its cable (take care not to mess with the components underneath). If not, then your hard drive is probably having internal problems and should be replaced.

As for SP2, are you upgrading from a disc? If so, download the latest full version from MS’s web page and use that instead. They have improved compatibility over the years and older discs should be treated as obsolete. If this doesn’t solve problems, you should make sure you upgrade all drivers (go to your manufacturer’s web page—hopefully that will do it) and if you have any system-altering programs upgrade them (be weary of old malware protection or security software). Also strip out support software installed by the manufacturer (HP Updates and Support, etc.) That said, there are still several machines out there that are simply not compatible.
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Catalyst » Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:45 pm

James wrote:As for the hard drive, it it actually becoming physically disconnected? If so, get some electric tape and tape the thing to its cable (take care not to mess with the components underneath). If not, then your hard drive is probably having internal problems and should be replaced.

I think that it is more of a physical problem. Most of the time I just kinda take my thumb and push on it, and it works ('course, I gotta restart usually, but you know...). It did it before for a bit, and fixed itself, so I'm thinking it'll do that again. If not, hey, I'm soon to be going on a computer parts spending spree, so why not tack on a new 320gig for $90?

OMG Did I just read that right? That is! Newegg actually has 320GB hdd's for only $90! Sweet!

As for SP2, are you upgrading from a disc? If so, download the latest full version from MS’s web page and use that instead. They have improved compatibility over the years and older discs should be treated as obsolete. If this doesn’t solve problems, you should make sure you upgrade all drivers (go to your manufacturer’s web page—hopefully that will do it) and if you have any system-altering programs upgrade them (be weary of old malware protection or security software). Also strip out support software installed by the manufacturer (HP Updates and Support, etc.) That said, there are still several machines out there that are simply not compatible.

It's an upgrade from the Microsoft website, which is why I'm not entirely happy about it. Still, I'm thinking of getting a new sound card that isn't integrated anyways, which'll easily cause the problem of me not needing SP2 (which I don't like/need/want anyways).

So, yeah, I guess I'll just have the trouble's solved with mostly hardware upgrades in a few days, then, but thanks for the inspiration!
Catalyst
Apostle of Peace

Unread postby Adam » Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:16 am

Yet more issues, cause I don't have 34593457803475034957 things to do already.

OK, this is what my system idle process looks like now:

I've tried restarting (thrice) and ran Spybot and all that yet again, and nothing appears to be making it stop. And I'm too tired and annoyed with various issues to even try doing anything else so I'll complain here and hope someone knows. :P

Edit: Oh and I'm using Win XP Home Edition Service Pack 2
-亚当
Adam
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby James » Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:05 am

MpfAgent.exe? I thought that was a part of McAfee?
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Adam » Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:24 am

James wrote:MpfAgent.exe? I thought that was a part of McAfee?

It's the firewall part of McAfee.
I didn't realize I had highlighted that program, oopsies :P (I did take two screenshots, I just uploaded the wrong one)
The problem I'm having is with the System Idle Process, it's CPU is always at 99 unless another program is using a portion of it.
-亚当
Adam
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby dan020350 » Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:14 pm

New Problem. Do I have to take a number or wait in line?

IF not here goes, I restore my compaq presarrio 2550, win 98.
But now it would not allow me to go into desktop. And I hear strange power noise, that will not allow me to log on. IS this a boot sector problem? A worm or a virus? Or is it life battery?
Why can't no one can recognize a good thing when it is there, is it people don't want good things? Must someone have to tell them it is good? What place is knowledge and actual living? Goodbye SOSZ
dan020350
Academic

Unread postby James » Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:21 pm

Adam Sisemore wrote:The problem I'm having is with the System Idle Process, it's CPU is always at 99 unless another program is using a portion of it.

It is normal for System Idle Process[es] to generate 99% CPU usage in the Task Manager—even though it isn’t truly bogging down the CPU. You only need to worry if your computer is unmanageable due to slowdowns in which case something—usually a piece of malware or another oddity like a printer driver—is going haywire. Because the System Idle Process encompasses so many things, it is important to think back to whatever last changed. It might be as simple as a Windows update. Update all of your drivers. Scan your system for malware.

dan020350 wrote:IF not here goes, I restore my compaq presarrio 2550, win 98.
But now it would not allow me to go into desktop. And I hear strange power noise, that will not allow me to log on. IS this a boot sector problem? A worm or a virus? Or is it life battery?

What <i>does</i> your computer do? Can it reach the BIOS (usually accessed using a certain key on boot—often-times one of Esc, F1, F2, Del)? Do you reach the Windows loading screen? Do you reach the profile selection menu (i/a)? Beeps are tough to troubleshoot because they tend to be associated with the manufacturer or motherboard. There are no standards from which to draw immediate answers.
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Jason » Fri Feb 09, 2007 7:50 pm

Every so often (too often) I will have a serious monitor problem. The bottom 90% will be all white. If I move the mouse towards the top, i can see my pointer, but this white thing is like a veil. Even when i unplug the monitor from the actual PC, it will stay. SO I restarted, and the bottom part was like....lagging? It showed everything loading slow, and couldn't react quick enough to show my mouse pointer moving. It flickered lightly for a while, then went back to normal. It's frustrating, since I dunno how to fix it, it seems to be all luck. Anyone know what could cause this?
“I always wonder why birds choose to stay in the same place when they can fly anywhere on the earth, then I ask myself the same question.”

― Harun Yahya
Jason
Legendary

Unread postby James » Fri Feb 09, 2007 7:56 pm

Probably bad internal connections in your monitor. Your monitor has gone (or rather, is going) bad, and you should replace it. If you cannot replace it, and it is an LCD, try pressing (gently) on different corners of the monitor (press on the back and the front at the same time). You <i>may</i> get lucky and find a point where, if pressed, the monitor functions properly. Use a clip of some sort to keep it pressed for future use.

If that fails, hit it. Smack it. See if it gets knocked back into alignment again. I’m not to be held accountable if you break your monitor! It’s your own damn fault for hitting it! :P

This works more with CRT monitors than LCD monitors.

That said, if you are having problems with a CRT monitor, get off your arse and buy a new one already. I mean—they probably hand them out to starving homeless people so they can keep themselves warm (if not poisoned) by setting it on fire. Maybe they even sell them at the $.99 store? Who knows… the only reason they haven’t yet appeared in Cracker Jack boxes is because the boxes are too damn small.
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

PreviousNext

Return to Foreign Kingdoms