Computer Assistance Thread

Website, internet, technology, and computer resources, discussion and assistance.

Unread postby James » Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:08 am

Norton is crap. So is McAfee. Trend Micro is okay.

Nod32 is the finest anti-virus product out there. Viciously effective, it doesn’t bother you or get in the way, it doesn’t create a whole mess of network and computer issues, and it has a very fall footprint in memory. It is also cheaper and educational discounts are available through customer service.
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Pi Ka Chu » Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:27 am

James wrote:Norton is crap. So is McAfee. Trend Micro is okay.

Nod32 is the finest anti-virus product out there. Viciously effective, it doesn’t bother you or get in the way, it doesn’t create a whole mess of network and computer issues, and it has a very fall footprint in memory. It is also cheaper and educational discounts are available through customer service.

How much does that viral protection cost?
Nice guys don't insists on being creepers just because they were nice.
Pi Ka Chu
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Location: Watching Ratatosk insult the eagle on Yggdrasil for the wrym Níðhöggr

Unread postby Adam » Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:30 am

Pi Ka Chu wrote:How much does that viral protection cost?

I think it's $39 a yearish. I dumped paying for anti-virus things a while ago, but I remember looking into it.

Actually I dunno what I'm using, it came with my ATT SBC internet thingy, so it can't be -that- good.
-亚当
Adam
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Pi Ka Chu » Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:33 am

Adam Sisemore wrote:
Pi Ka Chu wrote:How much does that viral protection cost?

I think it's $39 a yearish. I dumped paying for anti-virus things a while ago, but I remember looking into it.

Actually I dunno what I'm using, it came with my ATT SBC internet thingy, so it can't be -that- good.

I have also stop the subscription to mine, but i should consider resubscribing since my cousins myspace seems to be infested with worms.
Nice guys don't insists on being creepers just because they were nice.
Pi Ka Chu
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Location: Watching Ratatosk insult the eagle on Yggdrasil for the wrym Níðhöggr

Unread postby Adam » Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:45 am

Pi Ka Chu wrote:I have also stop the subscription to mine, but i should consider resubscribing since my cousins myspace seems to be infested with worms.

Yeah, that's Myspace for ya. If yer not using it, get Firefox, and a good extension for it (doesn't help much here but is still nice) is AdBlock Plus, saves you from seeing the ads and they don't take up space on the page when they get blocked. Plus it'll stop certain things that get you from the ads from getting on yer machine.
Yeah I need sleep....

Uhh and this is the wrong thread for this, so I will shut up now. :P
-亚当
Adam
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby James » Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:54 am

Adam Sisemore wrote:Actually I dunno what I'm using, it came with my ATT SBC internet thingy, so it can't be -that- good.

SBC Yahoo!’s protection is actually pretty good as far as free ISP software goes—but it is known for causing all sorts of problems on your computer. It also isn’t <i>truly</i> capable of fully protecting your computer. I think anyone who is comfortable installing a program with some thoughtful options should use Nod32. It beats the s*** out of the common market products.
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Adam » Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:57 am

Just curious.
My computer doesn't seem to recognize a blank DVD-R when I put it in the drive, it even changes the icon in My Computer to "CD-ROM drive" instead of "DVD-RW drive" while the blank disc is in. I can't copy any files to it using the regular method (IE dragging and dropping files into the DVD folder and then hitting "Write to disc"). However if I use a burning program it works fine.
Just curious if anyone knows why this is happening.
It's a TSSTcorp CD/DVDW TS-H552D
If any other information is needed, I'll drag it out later. :P
-亚当
Adam
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby James » Tue Jan 16, 2007 6:29 am

1) Are you using an old version of Roxio software?
2) Have you thoroughly scanned for viruses and spyware?
3) Have you recently removed serious pieces of malware?
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Adam » Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:14 pm

Never mind.
Adam = Retarded moron; as if we all didn't know.
Next time I'll actually look at Microsoft.com before I post idiotic questions from now on. It only took me 2 hours of digging through their support database thing.
I was using the same method I do with CD's, just copy pasting files onto the DVD directly. That's what happens when you don't have a computer for 5 years.
Now I just gotta find a good DVD burning program that costs nothing. :P
-亚当
Adam
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Tigger of Kai » Tue Jan 16, 2007 6:56 pm

Not a computer question but...

Someone's offering me a good deal on a plasma tv and a home theater. TV is a Toshiba 50HP86, the other is a Panasonic SCHT740.

What do you guys think of these products? Feel free to discuss ANY home theater or big-screen TV by way of comparison. Thanks in advance for the input.

One question I have is: will this thing allow me to play Blu-Ray and HDDVD discs? Not that I'm really sure what those are.
Mithril! The dwarves tell no tales. But just as it was the foundation of their wealth, so also it was their destruction. They delved too greedily and too deep, and disturbed that from which they fled.
Tigger of Kai
Scholar of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to Foreign Kingdoms