Computer Assistance Thread

Website, internet, technology, and computer resources, discussion and assistance.

Unread postby Liu Yuante » Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:39 pm

Tigger of Kai wrote:Well I don't have any games that are graphically on the bleeding edge, as they say...I play stuff like KOTOR #1 and Madden Football '05, and my rig runs them very well, Pentium III 733 MHz.

This is the LiuYuanTe method of computer management as well - I push my systems as far as they can go and then further and only kicking and screaming am I dragged towards upgrading. I got a free P4 chipset motherboard from my mom but if it were not for that I'd still have a P3 500.

Adrian
Liu Yuante
绯红王

Unread postby Alucard » Mon Dec 25, 2006 7:06 pm

I have two computer problems.

I downloaded Morzilla Firefox just a few minutes ago. The page always displays "Unable to connect". My Internet Explorer works perfectly. I uninstalled and reinstalled it but I get the same thing.

I'm using the latest version of Azureus. When I try to download anything torrent related, it doesn't work. The status says "Downloading". The Tracker Status says "Connection Error (ConnectException: Connection refused: connect)". After a few mintues it says "OK (dht: )". Then another few minutes it goes back to "Connection Error (ConnectException: Connection refused: connect)". I think it's the computer I'm using because the other computers in the house can download any torrent related things.

If it matters, I'm using a wireless connection.
I don't regret the decision I made that day. Even now. But...my heart still aches. I..I want to follow my heart. Whether it is right or wrong will be judged by history. - Pahn
Alucard
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Location: In a house where I open a door and another door appears.

Unread postby James » Mon Dec 25, 2006 9:27 pm

Alucard wrote:I downloaded Morzilla Firefox just a few minutes ago. The page always displays "Unable to connect". My Internet Explorer works perfectly. I uninstalled and reinstalled it but I get the same thing.

Many ISPs require certain information to be entered (such as a configuration script or proxy) and you will have to re-enter that into Firefox’s preferences. That is the most likely culprit I can think of.

The other question I do not know.
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Liu Yuante » Tue Dec 26, 2006 12:26 am

With regards to Azureus, it sounds to me like you need to open a port on your router's firewall. When you go to the web management page for your router's IP it should be under port forwarding. Since each computer on your network probably has a different Ip, the other comps probably already have a port opened.

Adrian
Liu Yuante
绯红王

Unread postby Alucard » Tue Dec 26, 2006 1:58 am

Azureus and Firefox are working now. Thanks.
I don't regret the decision I made that day. Even now. But...my heart still aches. I..I want to follow my heart. Whether it is right or wrong will be judged by history. - Pahn
Alucard
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Alucard » Sun Jan 07, 2007 4:13 pm

When I click on the Norton icon, it will not let me access it. Sometimes a message will come up saying "Internal Error." Since I have McAfee, I want to remove Norton but it will not let me do so. There is no uninstall icon for Norton. I try to remove it in thd Add or Remove Programs, but it doesn't work. I click on remove and it just freezes. I also click on change and it also does the same thing. I was thinking about deleting the Norton folder and any other files that belongs to Norton, but is it safe? I don't think it will solve the problem but it's starting to piss me off.

Norton came with the laptop. I kept it thinking it wouldn't be to bad. I regret making that decision.

I don't mean to double post. If I edit the previous message, it won't get looked at until someone post here for assistance.
Alucard
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Tigger of Kai » Sun Jan 07, 2007 4:59 pm

Do you mean Norton Antivirus, or one of their other programs?

I had a strange problem once with the Norton Systemworks 2003 suite. I would click on the icon for one of the apps, e.g. Disk Doctor, and nothing would happen. I could get a couple of the apps to work, sometimes by booting Windows in Safe Mode, but most of them were nonresponsive.

Then, months later, I tried again, and everything worked fine, as it has to this day! I never found out what the problem had been.
Mithril! The dwarves tell no tales. But just as it was the foundation of their wealth, so also it was their destruction. They delved too greedily and too deep, and disturbed that from which they fled.
Tigger of Kai
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Alucard » Sun Jan 07, 2007 9:00 pm

It's Norton Internet Security 2006 (Symanetic Corporation). I think I accepted the 60 day trial. Could that be a problem?
Alucard
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby James » Mon Jan 08, 2007 1:10 am

Alucard wrote:It's Norton Internet Security 2006 (Symanetic Corporation). I think I accepted the 60 day trial. Could that be a problem?

If you install Norton and Mcafee at the same time you are just asking for punishment (really, that causes computer problems <i>every single time it happens</i>). Anti-virus programs should be fully removed before they are replaced with another, trial or otherwise.
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Alucard » Mon Jan 08, 2007 3:35 am

So far everything is okay. I deleted McAfee and Norton is working fine. I still think Norton is crap. Some people online said that Norton caused some serious problems to their computer. I hope I will not be one of them. I downloaded the removal tool just in case one of those problems occurs. I'll switch to McAfee or something better when the trial is over or when it starts to cause some serious problems.

Thanks again. I hope I don't have any other computer problems for at least two months.
Alucard
Scholar of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to Foreign Kingdoms