Computer Assistance Thread

Website, internet, technology, and computer resources, discussion and assistance.

Unread postby James » Wed Aug 09, 2006 12:11 am

Figure I’ll toss out a totally random question myself.

My family managed to get WORM_GAOBOT.DF on their computer (yes, I can guess how). Windows Defender broke it, but didn’t remove it, so I tore out the remnants with command line scans from McAfee and Trend Micro, then removed what remained myself.

All gone, except for one thing. A few options under Start -> Run don’t work properly, which includes 'cmd' and 'regedit'. Now, 'cmd.exe' and 'regedit.exe' both work, which made me think some .com files were dumped in the window32 folder—not so. For that reason, I imagine some registry entries were changed, referencing odd locations somewhere else on the computer (which don’t exit). Problem is I don’t know where these references are stored in the Windows registry, and none of the profiles for WORM_GAOBOT.DF (by Symantec, Trend Micro, etc.) recognize this aspect of the worm. Any thoughts?

(Yeah, I know a restore would work. Not going to as there is a reasonable workaround.)

- - - - - - - - - -

You could try to find an old copy of the driver. http://www.driverguide.com/ may be able to help on this quest, but you may hit a lot of dead ends too. There are some similar sites out there, but you must be careful before downloading a whole bunch of stuff from a site—if the quality of their system is poor, you could force yourself into the solution below for different reasons.

The above assumes it is an incompatibility in the new drivers. If it is a problem with your system preventing Windows from installing or using the driver, or if the card has a hardware problem, which can also cause this problem, your options are different.

If Windows, a reformat is the best solution.
If hardware, you’ll need a new video card.

Kongming's Prodigy wrote:How does reformating or reinstalling windows help the situation?

Solves all Windows software issues. Resolves nearly every malware-related issue (aside from boot sector viruses).
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Jason » Wed Aug 09, 2006 12:42 am

Okay, i just bought a new computer, and I am happy with it. problem is I am not too well informed as far as graphic cards go. It says I have
"Graphics Media Accelerator 950"

Apparently thats basic. I installed Guild Wars, and made a character, and the graphics looked beautiful. I havent gotten to play in game, cause my digital cable comes in 2 days. I'm not a big PC gamer, but do you suggest I upgrade my graphics card?
“I always wonder why birds choose to stay in the same place when they can fly anywhere on the earth, then I ask myself the same question.”

― Harun Yahya
Jason
Legendary

Unread postby James » Wed Aug 09, 2006 12:59 am

Ezekiel wrote:Okay, i just bought a new computer, and I am happy with it. problem is I am not too well informed as far as graphic cards go. It says I have
"Graphics Media Accelerator 950"

Intel’s GMA950 integrated graphics are really wonderful as far as integrated graphics go. Not only will GMA950 handle your day-to-day tasks, it should do well in consumer use of programs like Photoshop, and even consumer video editing. It is also able to handle some gaming, but unfortunately, it doesn’t support certain key elements in modern 3D gaming, dumping the load on the processor. That is fine if you have a powerful processor, and plenty of RAM, but it will not cut it for a gamer.

If you want to enjoy modern 3D games at a good FPS, you will need to upgrade to a new PCI Express video card (I suspect you have PCI Express). Once you do that, you will <i>really</i> be able to enjoy gaming, higher video settings in games, and proper frame rates. Even an upgrade to a $160–220 card will make a huge difference.

Finally, bear in mind that these suggestions depend on the computer you have. Integrated graphics find their way into everything from great consumer computers, and on down to bottom-of-the-line crap computers. If you have a slow processor (e.g. Celeron), insufficient RAM (e.g. 512), or a low front-side bus, your integrated graphics will run like crap.
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby HuangGaiTheGreat » Wed Aug 09, 2006 1:06 am

Couldn't have said it better myself James. As far as the WORM_GAOBOT.DF issue goes, do a disk defragmention or disk cleanup, that may perhaps work but maybe not. Worth a try eh'?
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." --Abraham Lincoln
"It is only by not trusting that you turn someone into a liar." --Tao Le Ching
HuangGaiTheGreat
Assistant

Unread postby Jason » Wed Aug 09, 2006 2:03 am

Let me list what teh comp says, because I am almost clueless with this stuff.

Processor: Intel Viiv with an intel pentium D processor featuring two processign cores.

Memory: 1024 MB
hard Drive: 250 GB
Optical Drive: DVD+RW LightScribe Double Layer 16x Drive.

It's like a week old. Only big thing downloaded is Guild Wars, i dont have it jam-packed.
“I always wonder why birds choose to stay in the same place when they can fly anywhere on the earth, then I ask myself the same question.”

― Harun Yahya
Jason
Legendary

Unread postby HuangGaiTheGreat » Wed Aug 09, 2006 2:06 am

What type of computer are you currently running Ezekeil?
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." --Abraham Lincoln
HuangGaiTheGreat
Assistant

Unread postby Jason » Wed Aug 09, 2006 2:23 am

Hewlett-Packard a1530n. It's supposed to be a new model. Certainly paid a decent amount for it.

― Harun Yahya
Jason
Legendary

Unread postby HuangGaiTheGreat » Wed Aug 09, 2006 3:24 am

You landed yourself a media center pc. The a1530 has fairly good RAM, a pretty reasonable 250gb 7200rpm sata HDD, and a dual core Pentium D at 2.8 ghz. The only thing that may be bottlenecking your system is that integrated Intel 945G video card. You have one PCI-E x16 slot, so I suggest getting a better video card such as a Geforce 7900 or Radeon 1800xt, or maybe even upgrading to a DX-10 when they're out. However, in doing so would probably require you to buy a better CPU and ram to get all the performance out of a high end video card like that and in turn you'd have to also buy a better MoBo so your basicly building a whole new computer system. If you don't wish to do that, you may also purchase a Saphire x800 GTO. Its an older card that is about 2 generations behind, but it would probably do your current setup justice.
Last edited by HuangGaiTheGreat on Wed Aug 09, 2006 5:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
HuangGaiTheGreat
Assistant

Unread postby Jason » Wed Aug 09, 2006 3:34 am

Okay, there are slots on the front, I will list them. Could you explain what they mean?

SmartMedia x/D

CompactFlash I/II

MMC / SD

memory Stick (I can assume what it's for)

and USB (I already know)

― Harun Yahya
Jason
Legendary

Unread postby HuangGaiTheGreat » Wed Aug 09, 2006 5:12 am

SmartMedia, CompactFlash, and MMC(Multimedia Card) are all memory devices used in cameras and what not to store images. Those slots you have in your MoBo are for inputing those devices in to upload whatever pictures may be on that device.
HuangGaiTheGreat
Assistant

PreviousNext

Return to Foreign Kingdoms