Computer Assistance Thread

Website, internet, technology, and computer resources, discussion and assistance.

Re: Computer Assistance Thread

Unread postby Embrace Your Demise » Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:13 pm

I'm not sure if anyone can help with this or even how to really explain it, but if I use any search engines like yahoo or google, I typically get the same error message, pictured below. If it does work and I click on a link from the search, it always redirects to some pluribus.net or something similar to that and redirects me to a completely different website. Like for instance if I would put in Romance of the three kingdoms and click Search, it says the pluribus thing in the address bar, then immediately redirects to some other site completely, in this instance a site called Monster Marketplace. I have the regular Internet Explorer browser, version 9 I believe, a 64-bit version, and Firefox, and it redirects on all of them. Although not so much on the 64 bit.
And if I click on the link in the search engine and choose to open it in a new window, it opens in the new window as it should without redirecting. Something off with my settings maybe?
And in the picture it says to change my password and if I click on the change link it brings me to some german site.
It doesn't always pop up, but is annoying when it does.
Capture2.PNG
Capture2.PNG (44.18 KiB) Viewed 1123 times
Embrace Your Demise
Initiate

Unread postby James » Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:18 pm

You have viruses/spyware. Don't enter any sensitive information into your computer.

Easy way out is to reinstall Windows (most computers have a recovery partition or discs; make sure you back up anything which is important to you). Next time around make sure you get some good antivirus protection (Microsoft Security Essentials is passable and free) and start learning about where this stuff comes from so you can try to avoid problems like this in the future.
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Embrace Your Demise » Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:44 pm

I figured it was probably something like that. :/ I had anti virus from Norton but it ran out and I didn't get to renew it yet, since I didnt use my computer for almost a year, but when I started using it again and got internet back, it always did that redirecting. Now i've been more careful about which sites to go to, but the stuff is already on there I guess, but I will download the one you mentioned, thanks :)
How do I reinstall Windows? And will it wipe out or delete files? I just bought and downloaded rotk xi last night and don't want to lose it already >.>
I'm not even sure how to backup files honestly.
I did a quick scan using Windows Defender and got the picture below.
A couple weeks ago i scanned it, and it said it detected some manipulating bug or something and said it removed it, yet it still redirected so I thought it was something else.
Capture3.PNG
Capture3.PNG (84.92 KiB) Viewed 1103 times

EDIT: I downloaded the one you mentioned and got this:
Capture4.PNG
Capture4.PNG (161.97 KiB) Viewed 1090 times

Hopefully I'm in the clear now finally >.>
But thanks for your help :)
Embrace Your Demise
Initiate

Unread postby James » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:57 pm

Windows Defender is pretty useless.

Now that you've installed Microsoft Security Essentials make sure you remove any other anti-virus programs you might have on the computer. It is very important that you don't install more than one at the same time as they can cause some pretty ugly conflicts which can require annoying steps to fix.

Hopefully that's all there is to it. I'm not used to cases where someone can download an anti-virus program after the fact, remove the threat, and fix everything so gracefully. See if the virus comes back after a restart or after a week or so. Also check to make sure the internet and other computer functions are operating properly. You might be in the clear. On the other hand, many pieces of malware are great at re-installing themselves, and some leave damage behind after they've been removed.
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Sang » Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:29 am

Thank you, James. I think it is ok now. Hopefully, it'll stay that way. If it continue later on, I might need your help.

Thanks again for the help. :D
Gao Shun & Cheng Lian, you have my prayers!

Sun Tzu: “Knows thy enemy, knows thyself and victory is never in doubt, not in a hundred battles.”

Sun Tzu: “A vanquished state cannot be revived; the dead cannot be brought back to life.”
Sang
Changshi

Unread postby James » Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:35 pm

Sang wrote:I think it is ok now.

What fixed it?
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Sang » Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:06 pm

James wrote:What fixed it?

I just pressed this "scroll lock" button and the volume slider stop moving down automatically. O_o I have no idea how'd that happened but it works and hopefully it'll stay that way.

Thanks again for your help. :D
Gao Shun & Cheng Lian, you have my prayers!

Sun Tzu: “Knows thy enemy, knows thyself and victory is never in doubt, not in a hundred battles.”

Sun Tzu: “A vanquished state cannot be revived; the dead cannot be brought back to life.”
Sang
Changshi

Unread postby Tigger of Kai » Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:41 am

My desktop's (only) hard drive has started to make funny noises. Since it's still working fine for now, I was wondering if there are places I could go where I could buy a new one and have them "clone" the old drive onto so that I could just swap them — anyone out there who's had success doing something along these lines?
Mithril! The dwarves tell no tales. But just as it was the foundation of their wealth, so also it was their destruction. They delved too greedily and too deep, and disturbed that from which they fled.
Tigger of Kai
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby James » Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:00 pm

Tigger of Kai wrote:My desktop's (only) hard drive has started to make funny noises. Since it's still working fine for now, I was wondering if there are places I could go where I could buy a new one and have them "clone" the old drive onto so that I could just swap them — anyone out there who's had success doing something along these lines?

A hard drive usually dies very shortly after starting to make noises, so I'd avoid using it if you've got special things on it. There are applications which can clone a hard drive onto another hard drive and the only real obstacle in doing this (technically) is that some of them don't work if you are booted into one of the two involved hard drives. Pretty much any computer repair shop should be able to handle this sort of thing.

The only real concern would be that if the hard drive is dying it might fail during this operation. The scariest sound they make is a clicking sound (technicians call it the 'click of death', and for good reason).
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Adam » Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:48 pm

Anyone else using Opera have trouble with using the "find" feature (Ctrl+f)?

I've used it on several pages and it tells me words aren't there despite the fact that I am looking right at them..it's kinda frustrating having to use another browser if I just want to find a word on a website.

Edit: It also seems to be failing to keep me signed into Netflix despite clicking on the "remember on this computer" button.
-亚当
Adam
Scholar of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to Foreign Kingdoms