Computer Assistance Thread

Website, internet, technology, and computer resources, discussion and assistance.

Re: Computer Assistance Thread

Unread postby James » Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:15 pm

Yep, it can be difficult to notice. But if you can faintly see the screen, it is the backlight.
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Zhuanyong » Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:05 pm

James wrote:Yep, it can be difficult to notice. But if you can faintly see the screen, it is the backlight.

I'll probably call the local IT/computer shop in an hour or so to see if they can give me a price on fixing that. I still want to get a Mac in the very near future. I'm hoping I can get my current one fixed for a decent enough price to hold me out for about 3-5 months.

(I can't read my research material, make anymore avatars, play my games, etc until then)

[No comment]
Zhuanyong
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby James » Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:44 pm

Most places charge $200+ for a backlight, for perspective.
(Probably more than the computer is worth now).

Maybe you'll find a good deal.
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Zhuanyong » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:19 pm

James wrote:Most places charge $200+ for a backlight, for perspective.
(Probably more than the computer is worth now).

Maybe you'll find a good deal.

Just called and was told the cost for my model, etc would be $169-199 plus tax. That's definitely a positive for me.

Given that I've only had two problems with my machine (the Harddrive dying, which cost about $260) and now this, I'd say I've gotten quite a bit of use out of it. Especially since it was essentially my right arm for much of the last 4.5 years. :lol:

[No comment]
Zhuanyong
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby James » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:22 pm

Not terrible. Is that from HP?
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Zhuanyong » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:49 pm

James wrote:Not terrible. Is that from HP?

No, it's from a local computer repair place. They are very dependable. HP, from my experience, are horrendous when it comes to customer support.

When I took my laptop to the place I called, in regards to my hard drive issue, they were definitely more helpful than HP then. I stopped borrowing with HP for support after that. :lol:

[No comment]
Zhuanyong
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Sang » Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:39 am

Hello,

My Volume slider moves down automatic. My OS is Windows Vista. How can I prevent the slider from moving down all the time? I have searched in google.com, but with no solution. Has anyone encounter this problem before? If so, please help me.

Thanks.
Gao Shun & Cheng Lian, you have my prayers!

Sun Tzu: “Knows thy enemy, knows thyself and victory is never in doubt, not in a hundred battles.”

Sun Tzu: “A vanquished state cannot be revived; the dead cannot be brought back to life.”
Sang
Changshi

Unread postby James » Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:41 pm

Sang, you haven't provided enough information to give you worthwhile feedback on this. Do you have a stuck/malfunctioning key? Under what conditions does the volume decrease? How does it decrease?
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Sang » Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:52 pm

James wrote:Sang, you haven't provided enough information to give you worthwhile feedback on this. Do you have a stuck/malfunctioning key? Under what conditions does the volume decrease? How does it decrease?

>.< I apologize James. I don't have stuck/malfunctioning key(s). Here what happened, my speakers volume is so low and I can't barely hear it, so I went to "Hardware and Sound", I tried to adjust it by sliding the volume up, but it moves down automatic and I don't have a clue why it does that. Regardless of what I do, it moves down by itself. Is there something wrong with my sound card?
Gao Shun & Cheng Lian, you have my prayers!

Sun Tzu: “Knows thy enemy, knows thyself and victory is never in doubt, not in a hundred battles.”

Sun Tzu: “A vanquished state cannot be revived; the dead cannot be brought back to life.”
Sang
Changshi

Unread postby James » Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:36 pm

So here are a bunch of questions:

So you mentioned that the you have sound, but it is quiet. Does the volume fluctuate during normal computer use? Does it fluctuate when you are in the audio control panel? Or does the sound remain constant? Can you mute it? What type of computer do you have? HP? When the volume slider fluctuates, does it sort of just jerk up and down in an unpredictable manner, or is there a pattern or consistency? Have you ever spilled something on or into the laptop?

Here are some things you can try right away. Re-install your audio drivers, and any drivers which might be associated with audio controls on your laptop. Not all laptops have such controls so you may not need to do this, but some do. For example, many HP laptops have touch keys across the top of the keyboard which are managed with their own dedicated driver.
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

PreviousNext

Return to Foreign Kingdoms