Pros and Cons of working five days a week?

Website, internet, technology, and computer resources, discussion and assistance.

Pros and Cons of working five days a week?

Unread postby Hyper90 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:03 am

guys ? need help :(
topic says it all.

need some brainstorming here :?
"There are five possible operations for any army. If you can fight, fight; if you cannot fight, defend; if you cannot defend, flee; if you cannot flee, surrender; if you cannot surrender, die. " Sima Yi

take a look please
Hyper90
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Re: Pros and Cons of working 5 days a week

Unread postby Zhuanyong » Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:25 am

PROS --

A paycheck!
Weekly hours spread more evenly over the week
More hours per day to do personal tasks

CONS --

Working more days during the week (e.g. versus 4 day 10 hour-a-day)
Smaller weekly window to get important things done

There are probably more, but this comes to mind immediately

[No comment]
Zhuanyong
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Lady Wu » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:12 am

As opposed to what?

Not working at all? Working part time? Working 6 days a week? Working 4-day shift work?
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu
There's no better state than Wu
There's no better state than Wu

Unread postby James » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:10 am

Potentially unrelated, studies have found, with some consistency, that people generally only manage so much work in a day before they burn out. Eight hours of productivity in a day is about as much as people can manage. 32 hours of productivity in a week is about as much as workers tend to manage. Being in the US, when working typical full time hours (40 hours in the United States) I like to work four, ten-hour days. I like having the extra day off (it isn't extra time off, but it sure feels like it).

Need the information requested by Lady Wu to offer more thoughts.
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Zhuanyong » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:14 am

For some reason after I posted my response I had the feeling that Hyper 90 is simply looking for anything he can find.

Probably anything we can give would be helpful so I stayed as general as possible. I agree with you James, I'd rather work four 10's than to work five 8's. Three days off have more of a benefit in my opinion -- I believe it is very advantageous to sacrifice 2 hours for 4 days to get one extra full day.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I don't know about the study regarding only being capable of working 8 hours a day. Because when I had my last general labor warehouse job, I bust out about 10 or so hours a day often 6 and 7 days a week. And that is continuously flinging boxes at a rate that the company tested for production purposes to be 140%+ production.

I will admit I lost quite a bit of weight doing that job and it cost me a starting position (due to the weight required to play my position that year) in semi-pro football once.

[No comment]
Zhuanyong
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Sun Fin » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:45 am

If I know that I have to work outside of 'normal hours' I get demotivated and just do less work. For example homework had that affect on me. If on the other hand I know that I have to do that many hours and then its over I work harder during those hours.
“I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.” ― Nelson Mandela
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Hyper90 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:58 pm

Zhuanyong wrote:PROS --

A paycheck!
Weekly hours spread more evenly over the week
More hours per day to do personal tasks

CONS --

Working more days during the week (e.g. versus 4 day 10 hour-a-day)
Smaller weekly window to get important things done

There are probably more, but this comes to mind immediately

yep thats what i mean, thanks guys :D
"There are five possible operations for any army. If you can fight, fight; if you cannot fight, defend; if you cannot defend, flee; if you cannot flee, surrender; if you cannot surrender, die. " Sima Yi

take a look please
Hyper90
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Return to Foreign Kingdoms